• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery...part DEUX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fallonflyr

pilot
A mini-reunion coming up tomorrow, my old combat "Wingie" is in town from Nevada City, CA with his wife, to tour the USS Midway Museum. We served together in VA-146 "Blue Diamonds", on the Ranger '66, and Constellation '67 "Rolling Thunder" deployments.

Former LT Jeff Greenwood, retired Delta Captain, and Kathy, will be joining my three children & I, for lunch and mucho recollections at our downtown San Dogg Olive Garden.

Jeff is the only wingman ever, that I didn't bring back from a strike. On a Sunny day in May '66, he went to the target in an A-4C Skyhawk, and made the return to Danang safely, in a USAF HU-16 Albatross aka Dumbo (so far north in the gulf - out of Helo range). Will post that interesting tale at a later date, when I get it written. This photo was taken at our last mini-get together at the same Olive Garden in Oct. '12.

(L to R) LT Bill Douglas, Ret NWA B-747 Capt.; LT Jeff "Leprechaun" Greenwood, Ret. Delta A/L B-747 Capt.; Ret. RADM Bill Harris, CO VA-146 '64-'65; BusyBee604, '65-'67
View attachment 13394

LT Bill Douglas & LT Jeff "Leprechaun" Greenwood
View attachment 13395
BzB
Looks like a lot of "Badass" around that table.

Homer J

I'm with NAVAIR. I'm here to help you.
Phantom 111.jpg
An F-4G Phantom II of Fighter Squadron (VF) 213, assigned to Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 11 attached to the carrier Kitty Hawk (CVA 63), pictured in flight on February 20, 1965, forty-nine years ago today. This aircraft was later lost in combat operations over North Vietnam on April 28, 1966.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
F-4G ?!?...................Sure about that?
I'm thinking it's an F-4B due to historical reference below:
28 Apr 1966: Black Lion 111, an F-4B (BuNo 150645), LT Raymond A. Schiltz, and LT(JG) Douglas C. Lewis, VF-213, was shot down by AAA while on an armed reconnaissance against cargo junks, making a rocket attack against nearby AW emplacements. The crew ejected about five minutes after being hit, while returning to the ship, at approximately 19º21’N, 106º45’E Fetch 68, a Navy SAR helo, recovered both men and flew them to Topeka.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
An F-4G Phantom II of Fighter Squadron (VF) 213, assigned to Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 11 attached to the carrier Kitty Hawk (CVA 63), pictured in flight on February 20, 1965, forty-nine years ago today. This aircraft was later lost in combat operations over North Vietnam on April 28, 1966.
NH 111 above, a VF-213 "Black Lion", was lost to AAA over North Vietnam on that date, The Pilot LT R. A. Schultz, and RIO LT(jg) D. C. Lewis, were both recovered safely.
F-4G ?!?...................Sure about that?
Yup, official records show VF-213 as flying a mix of F-4B/G on that cruise, while the 'sister' Phantom Squadron on Kitty Hawk (VF-114), flew only F-4Bs.:)

*Being a mere Scooter Dude, I know not the difference twixt F-4B v G models. Our resident Phantom Jock Catmando, may stop by and clue us in!;)
BzB

EDIT - ea6b covered it nicely...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.