• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The fiance is considering...

srqwho

pilot
My fiance (wife in May) is considering JAG. She has a JD and an MBA with 2 years of experience. I've done some research and found that the Navy tries to work it out so that we could be at the same duty station if we were both commissioned. Don't flame... that's not the reason she is thinking about it, but it would suck if it didn't work out for a couple years that we'd do an east coast/west coast thing although not impossible. Anybody know if that is even possible considering I'd be aviation? Anybody know a couple who is making this work?

The only downside to this is that she'd outrank me right off the bat... and I'd have to explain that my OCS experience and her ODS experience were in fact not the same thing...

d3west86

I'm an SNA select who is commissioning in May. My fiancee is graduating from law school in May and is going to be JAG in the Air Force.

There is a joint-spouse program for dual-military couples. They will try to place you two within a hundred miles of each other, or you will given compensation to visit it each other. If you two are both in the same service, you stand a decent chance of being placed together especially since JAG is needed everywhere.

However, a point will come where one of you is going to have to decide whose military career is more important. Unfortunately, I'm in the Navy, and my fiance is in the Air Force = possibly long times of separation ahead. Good luck!

d3west86

Oh yeah! And my fiancee will commission O-1...make O-2 when she passes the bar....and will make O-3 once she completes JAG training at Maxwell AFB. So, within one year of commissioning I'll still be an Ensign and she'll be a Capt. (AF).

I can empathize with ya, man!

But, since it is a prior-existing relationship, it won't be a problem at all if one of you is already commissioned and then the other applies for a commissioning program. In fact, I don't think it would matter anyway. Either way, that shouldn't turn out to be a problem for you and your fiancee.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Heard of a couple dudes that selected/winged out of here recently, both were given #1 priority for Hornets East since they had AD spouses out there. From my understanding it is mando placement in that situation if there is a slot to give out....

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
What's with all these spouse wants to be an officer threads? I'd be less than pleased if my GF/wife/whatever suddenly wanted to jump into the military too.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
But, since it is a prior-existing relationship, it won't be a problem at all if one of you is already commissioned and then the other applies for a commissioning program. In fact, I don't think it would matter anyway. Either way, that shouldn't turn out to be a problem for you and your fiancee.

I wouldn't go this far.... I've seen instances of the NAVY successfully assigning spouses to the same location, and i've seen instances of it being completely unsuccessful.... In the unsuccessful instance, the married couple were both in the flight program... One got the E-6 Tacamo (going to spend the next 8 years in Oklahoma City), and the other one got P-3s (going to spend the next years NOT in Oklahoma City).

I think it goes to say that the needs of the NAVY are still front and foremost, but that so long as they can fulfill these needs, they will do everything in their remaining power to assign you to the same location.

Also, not every NAVY base has a JAG office. Kingsville doesn't have a JAG office (from what we were told at the indoc brief)..

I'm definitely not trying to piss on anyone's cornflakes here, and I hope you guys all get what you want, it's just important that you know there are NO guarantees.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
The only downside to this is that she'd outrank me right off the bat... and I'd have to explain that my OCS experience and her ODS experience were in fact not the same thing...

You see, Honey, I can deal with the bullets and the bombs and the blood. I can deal with the heat and the stress and the fear. I don't want money and I don't want medals. What I want is for you to stand there in that faggoty white uniform, and with your Harvard mouth, extend me some fuckin' courtesy. You gotta ask me nicely.

IRfly

None
Oh yeah! And my fiancee will commission O-1...make O-2 when she passes the bar....and will make O-3 once she completes JAG training at Maxwell AFB. So, within one year of commissioning I'll still be an Ensign and she'll be a Capt. (AF).

I can empathize with ya, man!
QUOTE]

I wouldn't worry about that, seeing as how your average LTJG is the functional equivalent of a LTCOL in the AF in terms of assigned responsibility. Except that the JG can wipe his backside w/o written direction.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Navy will do its best to co-lo mil-mil spouses, but usually how it works out is one of you will have to take a shit job, or at least one that's not "best for the career" if you want to live together. It's just rarely that timing, billets and career gates work out so that you both get what you want in the same place at the same time. And Big Navy's sense of humor usually means that even if, say, you go E-2's so you can be in Norfolk and there's a place for everybody in Norfolk...they'll suddenly decide your JAG spouse is exactly who they need for some billet at NAVCENT in Bahrain.

exhelodrvr

pilot
My fiance (wife in May) is considering JAG. She has a JD and an MBA with 2 years of experience. I've done some research and found that the Navy tries to work it out so that we could be at the same duty station if we were both commissioned. Don't flame... that's not the reason she is thinking about it, but it would suck if it didn't work out for a couple years that we'd do an east coast/west coast thing although not impossible. Anybody know if that is even possible considering I'd be aviation? Anybody know a couple who is making this work?

How important is a Navy career to each of you?
How long of a minimum commitment will each of you have?
What are your plans re having children?

I have known two couples where the husband flew in the Reserves, and the wife was career Navy (in one instance a doctor, in the other a maintenance officer) and both of those seemed to work out well, but that's obviously not the same situation.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There is a joint-spouse program for dual-military couples. They will try to place you two within a hundred miles of each other, or you will given compensation to visit it each other.

I just noticed that, too. I don't know who told you that, but it's bullshit. The only accurate part of your statement is the "try" part.

Your detailer will work with you to get you co-lo'ed, but if it doesn't work, then it doesn't. And you're definitely footing your own bill for those weekend trips to see each other.