• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Eyes have it - All things Vision-related

jbweldon04

Eye Guy
I have TOTAL clarification from someone who has been at NAMI and has all the answers. SNA requires 20/20-0 on a goodlite chart. That means ABSOLUTELY No mistakes. This is the requirement for with correction. For SNFO you can be 20/20-3 with a total of 10 letters on a goodlite chart. SNFO does NOT require a cycloplegic exam (dilated), only SNA's.

If you have any other questions please please ask me. I'm with an Aerospace Optometrist everyday who will gladly give me answers.

deadweather

Pro-Rec SNA & SNFO
I have TOTAL clarification from someone who has been at NAMI and has all the answers. SNA requires 20/20-0 on a goodlite chart. That means ABSOLUTELY No mistakes. This is the requirement for with correction. For SNFO you can be 20/20-3 with a total of 10 letters on a goodlite chart. SNFO does NOT require a cycloplegic exam (dilated), only SNA's.

If you have any other questions please please ask me. I'm with an Aerospace Optometrist everyday who will gladly give me answers.

How did no one at my NRD nor anywhere else tell me about the NFO qualifications. I got 20/20 -
2 but that's still very border line for me.

exNavyOffRec

How did no one at my NRD nor anywhere else tell me about the NFO qualifications. I got 20/20 -
2 but that's still very border line for me.

NRD's get the basic info, such as "must correct to 20/20", some of us due to who we have talked to know a bit more or where to look up items, but as always the best answer is one that you can get from someone that is the one that makes the call.

deadweather

Pro-Rec SNA & SNFO
NRD's get the basic info, such as "must correct to 20/20", some of us due to who we have talked to know a bit more or where to look up items, but as always the best answer is one that you can get from someone that is the one that makes the call.
That makes sense. I am a special case and I am sure not everyone is 100% knowledgeable on everything eye related. I would have been skeptical anyways had my recruiter said "no man, sign up, NFO's can miss THREE letters".

I still want to be an officer but I do trust my eyes to deliver at OCS for NFO. Talking with an USMC OR on Wednesday.

exNavyOffRec

That makes sense. I am a special case and I am sure not everyone is 100% knowledgeable on everything eye related. I would have been skeptical anyways had my recruiter said "no man, sign up, NFO's can miss THREE letters".

I still want to be an officer but I do trust my eyes to deliver at OCS for NFO. Talking with an USMC OR on Wednesday.

I hope you contacted your OR and said don't drop my spot.

NTXRockr

Alive and kicking...sort of.
Have you looked at the waiver guide? It states NFO must get 7 out of 10 or better on the 20/20 Goodlite chart line. My recruiters were flakey when it came to consistent information (no offense to them, I understand it comes down from on high inconsistently) so you have to learn to be your own advocate and seek out as much information as possible. I would've been NPQ a half dozen times if I hadn't persisted, and even after that my NRD tried to keep me from going to OCS within this decade by keeping me in a medical holding purgatory for over eight months while waiting for feedback on an achilles injury...don't let someone else possibly jeopardize your potential career field because they say you can't do something - NO isn't always a final answer, there's always waivers and exemptions to the rule.

My advice: decide if you want to be a naval officer first, and then what you would want to do if worst case you couldn't do SNA or SNFO. I had the misfortune of being redesignated from SNA to NFO while at OCS (was up in the air for 11 weeks, almost NPQ from both SNA and NFO, but didn't find out until "Hi-Moms" Thursday night before graduation that I was NFO). I can't tell you how many times I thought about quitting or what I would do instead of aviation (and I had a LOT of crap happen while up there...), but in the end I knew that I wanted to stay in the Navy and make the most of what my career can offer.

So think it over long and hard before making a decision - don't decide too quickly and give up a coveted spot that may not come again, but also don't be that guy that gets pro-rec, final select, and then days before reporting to OCS decides to quit before even giving it a shot (and essentially taking away someone else's pro-rec). I have no problem with those that give up a day, week or month into OCS after they decide their mentality doesn't fit the mold, but to not even try is the worst - you only have so many opportunities, and for naval aviation and naval officers in general there are age limits and time isn't slowing down. Best of luck, and feel free to ask us any other questions (I'm currently dealing with the SNA->NFO eyesight issues as well here with NAMI) and I will do my best to help or jbweldon04 would be a great help too as he's in the know.

deadweather

Pro-Rec SNA & SNFO
I appreciate the advice and help. However, I have already dropped my aviation FS so there is no more Navy as of now. My right eye is so sketchy that there is no reason to base a whole career off of it. At it's best it corrected 20/20 -2. It has done much worse. And it very well may get worse as I age, who knows. Yeah, NFO would have been great, but I have to be realistic about my future.

Since my slate is clean, I am going to shoot for Marine Ground Officer in June.

exNavyOffRec

I appreciate the advice and help. However, I have already dropped my aviation FS so there is no more Navy as of now. My right eye is so sketchy that there is no reason to base a whole career off of it. At it's best it corrected 20/20 -2. It has done much worse. And it very well may get worse as I age, who knows. Yeah, NFO would have been great, but I have to be realistic about my future.

Since my slate is clean, I am going to shoot for Marine Ground Officer in June.

Here is something you may have thought about, what if June comes around and you aren't picked up, what then.

Sutton004

Hey everybody,
It is very hard to find information on depth perception tests. I am enlisting and am planning applying to sta-21 for SNA one day, however I failed my depth perception test at MEPS. I went to two doctors and they said my depth perception was near perfect. It may have been I rushed on the test and that is why I failed, I am not sure. I hear there is another test that can be taken instead of the one at MEPS. If so what is it called and how do you go about taking it?

Thank you for all the help

exNavyOffRec

Hey everybody,
It is very hard to find information on depth perception tests. I am enlisting and am planning applying to sta-21 for SNA one day, however I failed my depth perception test at MEPS. I went to two doctors and they said my depth perception was near perfect. It may have been I rushed on the test and that is why I failed, I am not sure. I hear there is another test that can be taken instead of the one at MEPS. If so what is it called and how do you go about taking it?

Thank you for all the help

In this case it doesn't matter what MEPS says, you would have to have a full physical again prior to applying for officer programs.