• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Eyes have it - All things Vision-related

exNavyOffRec

That is exactly what I was wondering. Thank you... I actually assumed that and already sent my "thank you" email to my recruiter and am no longer pursuing a commission.

You don't want to see if you can go for something else? If anything push the NFO thing until you get a NPQ letter from N3M, that way if anything changes you can say you tried for a commission before but your NPQ and it won't look bad.

deadweather

Pro-Rec SNA & SNFO
You don't want to see if you can go for something else? If anything push the NFO thing until you get a NPQ letter from N3M, that way if anything changes you can say you tried for a commission before but your NPQ and it won't look bad.
N3M gave me a general PQ for all designations except aviation. They sent me my FS letter for pilot. They it sent to NAMI. NAMI said no to pilot but "possibly" to NFO.

I do not know if it is a bureaucratic loophole or what... But I am actually going to be able to go to OCS for NFO even though I know I will be DQ'ed at OCS.

I am so mind screwed... I do not even have the slightest clue what is going on any more.

exNavyOffRec

N3M gave me a general PQ for all designations except aviation. They sent me my FS letter for pilot. They it sent to NAMI. NAMI said no to pilot but "possibly" to NFO.

I do not know if it is a bureaucratic loophole or what... But I am actually going to be able to go to OCS for NFO even though I know I will be DQ'ed at OCS.

I am so mind screwed... I do not even have the slightest clue what is going on any more.

If you jumped thru the hoops and was given the ok for NFO you could still get NPQ at OCS, if you can't get the ok for NFO then you would have to look at something else.

If you were told you could do no aviation designator would you want to be an officer of sometype?

deadweather

Pro-Rec SNA & SNFO
If you jumped thru the hoops and was given the ok for NFO you could still get NPQ at OCS, if you can't get the ok for NFO then you would have to look at something else.

If you were told you could do no aviation designator would you want to be an officer of sometype?
Intel or CEC are the only other jobs I am interested in. Doubt I am qualified for Intel, and CEC is still up in the air about when their next board is, correct?

I was thinking about talking to the Marines, but they will probably see that I denied my NFO commission for the Navy and not even look at me.

exNavyOffRec

Intel or CEC are the only other jobs I am interested in. Doubt I am qualified for Intel, and CEC is still up in the air about when their next board is, correct?

I was thinking about talking to the Marines, but they will probably see that I denied my NFO commission for the Navy and not even look at me.

I am fairly sure (not certain) that the vision requirements are the same for the USMC but the eye doc should know.

You could use the NFO try to get to OCS and if you pass there, then great, if not then they will give you the option to redesignate and I have seen many get redesignated into Intel.

deadweather

Pro-Rec SNA & SNFO
I am fairly sure (not certain) that the vision requirements are the same for the USMC but the eye doc should know.

You could use the NFO try to get to OCS and if you pass there, then great, if not then they will give you the option to redesignate and I have seen many get redesignated into Intel.
I wouldn't be going for aviation with the Marines so I would assume they are less strict on eye sight for non-aviation designators.

I could try that, but I feel like I am betting on a lot to happen. I guess it isnt a huge risk since they pay me to go up there etc. I dont know.

exNavyOffRec

I wouldn't be going for aviation with the Marines so I would assume they are less strict on eye sight for non-aviation designators.

I could try that, but I feel like I am betting on a lot to happen. I guess it isnt a huge risk since they pay me to go up there etc. I dont know.

The eye doc here can say for sure, but I have never been able to get a person cleared for line positions that didn't correct to 20/20 with no defects, that leaves designators such as CEC, Supply, Intel and such. I don't know if the USMC is the same thought, I think it talks about it in the medical manual we use.

Edit: I just looked in the manual and the terminology is the same for the USN and USMC as far as eyes.

deadweather

Pro-Rec SNA & SNFO
The eye doc here can say for sure, but I have never been able to get a person cleared for line positions that didn't correct to 20/20 with no defects, that leaves designators such as CEC, Supply, Intel and such. I don't know if the USMC is the same thought, I think it talks about it in the medical manual we use.
Maybe you're right. N3M actually PQ'ed me for all unrestricted line, restricted line, and staff corps. Not sure how that happened if I needed 20/20 -0 for those too, but I think you're correct. I probably shouldn't have been PQ'ed for line positions.

jbweldon04

Eye Guy
I'm not 100% sure, but for Restricted Line jobs outside of Aviation, you can always get waivers. I don't understand why it would be paramount for someone like SWO or a Nuclear Officer needing to be 20/20. Don't throw in the towel if you want a commission in the military, but if Aviation is the ONLY path you will accept, it seems like you are in bad luck on this one. The hardest part of my job is when I get an Aviation Candidate in my office who has spent year working on a degree and just finished and gets the bad news from our department that Aviation isn't even a possibility.

The aviation community is super strict when it comes to vision. I cant even be a pilot and I'm 20/15. I have strabismus in one eye which causes my eye to turn yet I have perfect Depth Perception. I don't want you to give up though. I want a commission in my Navy so bad I will never stop until I have it. It's one of the most respectful and best jobs in the world in my opinion. There are other good jobs in the military besides flying. Good luck.

When I got my first flight physical I had 20/20 vision, but the doc was talking about how I might be disqualified over some test he had performed. He put some drops in my eye that basically paralyzed them. I couldn't focus my eyes very well, and he gave me some test after those drops were administered. He thought that I had barely passed. I had no idea what that test was for. If my eyes were 20/20 I didn't see any problems. What are the odds that I'm going to get paralyzing eye drops in my eyes while flying?

Anyone know what that test was for?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's a pupil dialation. It's so they can get a good look at your retina to look for abnormalities. In my experience, the eye docs want to do that every few years. Most of the time, I say "no thanks" and they leave me alone.

deadweather

Pro-Rec SNA & SNFO
When I got my first flight physical I had 20/20 vision, but the doc was talking about how I might be disqualified over some test he had performed. He put some drops in my eye that basically paralyzed them. I couldn't focus my eyes very well, and he gave me some test after those drops were administered. He thought that I had barely passed. I had no idea what that test was for. If my eyes were 20/20 I didn't see any problems. What are the odds that I'm going to get paralyzing eye drops in my eyes while flying?

Anyone know what that test was for?

Its either eye dilation or numbing drops. I failed My eye test at the doc because she did dilation. I got 20/20 -2 when my eyes wernt dilated but that still wasnt qualified. I would avoid getting them dilated of possible.

Ive also had numbing drops put into my eyes so that the doctor could poke them to test eye pressure.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Its either eye dilation or numbing drops. I failed My eye test at the doc because she did dilation. I got 20/20 -2 when my eyes wernt dilated but that still wasnt qualified. I would avoid getting them dilated of possible.

Ive also had numbing drops put into my eyes so that the doctor could poke them to test eye pressure.
You didn't fail because you had your eyes dilated; the dilation may have revealed is disqualifying defect, but the procedure didn't cause the defect. I'm not tracking your logic here. From what I've seen of your posts, you failed to get a 20/20 -0 score, so what did that have to do with dilation? At some point before NAMI gives anyone their final determination for PQ/AA, they're going to dilate your eyes.

deadweather

Pro-Rec SNA & SNFO
P
You didn't fail because you had your eyes dilated; the dilation may have revealed is disqualifying defect, but the procedure didn't cause the defect. I'm not tracking your logic here. From what I've seen of your posts, you failed to get a 20/20 -0 score, so what did that have to do with dilation? At some point before NAMI gives anyone their final determination for PQ/AA, they're going to dilate your eyes.

my eyes are disqualifying already no matter what. It gets 20/30 when they're dilated but 20/20 -1 or -2 when they are not.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Right, but they don't use your dilated score to meet that criterion. It's used as a diagnostic comparison.