• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Eyes have it - All things Vision-related

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None
I'm not sure, but I'm assuming there's at least one flight surgeon in Newport to do the final sign off. Again, your flight physical that you get prior to commissioning through either NROTC or OCS will always be overridden by NAMI once you get down to Pensacola. Expect to get ANOTHER flight physical once you get to Pensacola.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Oh... joy.. more good news!

KSUwildcat13

I recently had my consultation for eye surgery. I was within all of the pre-op requirements that my recruiter sent me. The office I chose to have my eye surgery done with helped me come up with a few questions to have clarified and my recruiter hasn't emailed me back for a couple weeks so I thought I would try here.

My first question has to do with the type of laser used. In the LASIK guide it says it is recommended to use a Wavefront-guided (e.g., VISX CustomVue, or equivalent) or wavefront-optimized and femtosecond keratome (e.g., IntraLase, or equivalent). The type of laser the practice uses is an Alcon Allegretto Wavelight Laser (Wave Eye-Q) and I am wondering if that is what the Navy considers "equivalent" to the Wavefront-guided laser.

Second, the LASIK info provided to me stated a measurement for higher-order ocular aberrations and the practice was wondering whether the Navy makes those measurements under normal eye conditions or under dilated conditions.

Lastly, being a candidate for both PRK and LASIK, what procedure would be best given that both yield the same results but the Navy treats each procedure differently.

exNavyOffRec

I recently had my consultation for eye surgery. I was within all of the pre-op requirements that my recruiter sent me. The office I chose to have my eye surgery done with helped me come up with a few questions to have clarified and my recruiter hasn't emailed me back for a couple weeks so I thought I would try here.

My first question has to do with the type of laser used. In the LASIK guide it says it is recommended to use a Wavefront-guided (e.g., VISX CustomVue, or equivalent) or wavefront-optimized and femtosecond keratome (e.g., IntraLase, or equivalent). The type of laser the practice uses is an Alcon Allegretto Wavelight Laser (Wave Eye-Q) and I am wondering if that is what the Navy considers "equivalent" to the Wavefront-guided laser.

Second, the LASIK info provided to me stated a measurement for higher-order ocular aberrations and the practice was wondering whether the Navy makes those measurements under normal eye conditions or under dilated conditions.

Lastly, being a candidate for both PRK and LASIK, what procedure would be best given that both yield the same results but the Navy treats each procedure differently.

PRK is the only surgery that is almost a "rubber stamp" approval, until LASIK is in the same catagory I as a recruiter could not recommend a person get LASIK, what happens if all of a sudden they decide to change their mind and say no more LASIK? Will that happen probably not, but how would you feel if it did happen and you hadn't been approved yet?

I myself think LASIK was great, that is the surgery I had done.

KSUwildcat13

PRK is the only surgery that is almost a "rubber stamp" approval, until LASIK is in the same catagory I as a recruiter could not recommend a person get LASIK, what happens if all of a sudden they decide to change their mind and say no more LASIK? Will that happen probably not, but how would you feel if it did happen and you hadn't been approved yet?

I myself think LASIK was great, that is the surgery I had done.

Thanks as always NavyOffRec I understand that about LASIK and right now I am leaning towards PRK, but do you know where i might be able to find information about my first two questions?

exNavyOffRec

Thanks as always NavyOffRec I understand that about LASIK and right now I am leaning towards PRK, but do you know where i might be able to find information about my first two questions?

There is an eye doc floating around on here, hopefully he will see this and answer, what I gave you was just my opinion as a recruiter, but don't want to go into something a doc should answer.

jbweldon04

Eye Guy

LASIK is no longer a disqualifier. They did studies and found that after the flap heals it isn't a liability on your health. Get which ever you prefer. I'm an optician in the Navy and my flight Doctor told me this when I was debating the two. I ended up getting PRK because of other health reasons, but don't let your future ambitions of being a pilot or NFO dictate your choice. Choose what's best for you.

exNavyOffRec

LASIK is no longer a disqualifier. They did studies and found that after the flap heals it isn't a liability on your health. Get which ever you prefer. I'm an optician in the Navy and my flight Doctor told me this when I was debating the two. I ended up getting PRK because of other health reasons, but don't let your future ambitions of being a pilot or NFO dictate your choice. Choose what's best for you.

Not saying it is a disqualifier, but according to what NRC has put out that was rec'd from NAMI, LASIK is case by case (for lack of a better term) while PRK is near guarantee approval and up until very recently those going for OCS were not even able to submit that had LASIK.

Buffy

Just had LASIK done here in Bethesda on June 18th. I'm also putting together an OCS package, about to schedule my pre-commissioning physical (SNA Physical) this month. Should i wait to get my waiver (currently an Aircrewman) before beginning my physical? or does it matter?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just had LASIK done here in Bethesda on June 18th. I'm also putting together an OCS package, about to schedule my pre-commissioning physical (SNA Physical) this month. Should i wait to get my waiver (currently an Aircrewman) before beginning my physical? or does it matter?

You will get your up chit in about 2 weeks, assuming everything goes well. Your formal waiver will take more than a month. Get your SNA physical done as to not slow down the process (the docs can always put waiver requested in the physical paperwork).

-ea6bflyr ;)

Buffy

Thanks, sounds good. How long is the SNA physical process taking most people? I plan to start it the first week in August. Will my need for a waiver make that process any longer?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Depending on where you get the physical done, it could take a day or three...YMMMV depending on how efficient the clinic is.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Buffy

The clinic here in PAX im not worried about. It the submission of the documents via AERO by my flight surgeon and hearing back in a timely manner that worries me. I did an SNA physical back in March for the Flying CWO program, and i never heard anything back!!!!! I didnt press the issue with my flight surgeon because they cancelled that board for this year. But i figured I would have heard something after 3 months!!!

deadweather

Pro-Rec SNA & SNFO
I got DQ'ed from SNA due to corrected vision being 20/20 -2. Anyone have the written requirments for SNA? ... I also am looking to see if this will DQ from NGO as well.

jbweldon04

Eye Guy
The requirement for SNA is 20-20 no mistakes. If you made 2 errors on the 20/20 line you can't even be in the Aviation community.

deadweather

Pro-Rec SNA & SNFO
The requirement for SNA is 20-20 no mistakes. If you made 2 errors on the 20/20 line you can't even be in the Aviation community.
That is exactly what I was wondering. Thank you... I actually assumed that and already sent my "thank you" email to my recruiter and am no longer pursuing a commission.