• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Eyes have it - All things Vision-related

MrCorsair

Hello guys, SNA hopeful here. One of my biggest roadblocks I fear will be my eyes. Last time I got my eyes checked, I had 20/40 vision which is the cut off, however my vision is correctable to 20/20 with glasses. I fear that my eyes probably have gotten worse since then as that was over a year ago however I am fairly confident I could be a candidate for LASIK/PRK. My question is, if I got to meps and fail vision or DP tests, could I get Lasik? If so and it all goes well and there are no complications after the 6 month wait, could I be qualified for SNA? When I drive and fly (im a private pilot) I wear my glasses, so should I wear/take them with me to MEPS? I guess what I am basically getting at is that I am hoping for the best but planning for the worst. I am fairly confident in everything else except vision which is obviously important for SNA. However, I have read where people fail DP at meps and be able to retest, pass, and get an SNA slot.

I just really do not think my vision as it stands right now is going to be able to pass the standards for SNA (uncorrected). I do not know that for a fact but still. I have MEPS scheduled for later this month. What should I do?

Last edited:

Mouselovr

Contributor
I just really do not think my vision as it stands right now is going to be able to pass the standards for SNA (uncorrected). I do not know that for a fact but still. I have MEPS scheduled for later this month. What should I do?
Yes, you could get corrective surgery no problem but you'll need to wait 6 months for the waiver.

Go to MEPS and see what happens.
If you pass MEPS then NAMI flight physical, many SNAs get corrective surgery while waiting in A Pool in Pcola (once in, the waiver timeline is significantly shorter)

kirons7227

Yes, you could get corrective surgery no problem but you'll need to wait 6 months for the waiver.

Go to MEPS and see what happens.
If you pass MEPS then NAMI flight physical, many SNAs get corrective surgery while waiting in A Pool in Pcola (once in, the waiver timeline is significantly shorter)
Can you expand on this? You can can surgery when you first get down to pensacola? My understanding was that you just end up getting backdoored into NFO. I ask because I’m heading down there and also concerned about my eyes. Vision was approved at 20/30 but I’m paranoid that it’ll get worse in the span of a year (I don’t know why)

Mouselovr

Contributor
Can you expand on this? You can can surgery when you first get down to pensacola? My understanding was that you just end up getting backdoored into NFO. I ask because I’m heading down there and also concerned about my eyes. Vision was approved at 20/30 but I’m paranoid that it’ll get worse in the span of a year (I don’t know why)
Yes. You can very easily get corrective surgery in A pool. I know at least half a dozen SNAs who got the surgery in Pcola bc they were on the edge/didnt want to wear corrective lenses.
Talk to the flight docs about it once you get down there.

Unless something fundamental has changed in the last 2 years, it should be very straightforward.

***I'll throw my 2 cents in as a glasses wearer who went to a PRK/LASIK consult but didn't follow through:
The surgery is always an option. If you're in NAMI range, there's very little reason to get it done. Wearing glasses in the cockpit ain't bad.

MrCorsair

Yes. You can very easily get corrective surgery in A pool. I know at least half a dozen SNAs who got the surgery in Pcola bc they were on the edge/didnt want to wear corrective lenses.
Talk to the flight docs about it once you get down there.

Unless something fundamental has changed in the last 2 years, it should be very straightforward.

***I'll throw my 2 cents in as a glasses wearer who went to a PRK/LASIK consult but didn't follow through:
The surgery is always an option. If you're in NAMI range, there's very little reason to get it done. Wearing glasses ain't bad.
So, say at MEPS I fail to meet SNA uncorrected vision standards, but meet them with glasses, would I still need Lasik/PRK? Or, if I fail at MEPS, would they require me to get surgery done before even continuing with the process?

exNavyOffRec

So, say at MEPS I fail to meet SNA uncorrected vision standards, but meet them with glasses, would I still need Lasik/PRK? Or, if I fail at MEPS, would they require me to get surgery done before even continuing with the process?
You have to meet all physical requirements to go to board for SNA, so if your vision is bad at MEPS you need to plan for surgery.

MrCorsair

You have to meet all physical requirements to go to board for SNA, so if your vision is bad at MEPS you need to plan for surgery.
Ok, that is what I was wondering. So, if all goes well with surgery and I heal fine, then I will be able to go SNA, correct?

Mouselovr

Contributor
Ok, that is what I was wondering. So, if all goes well with surgery and I heal fine, then I will be able to go SNA, correct?
You need to meet NAMI standards without glasses. If you don't naturally (or corrected via surgery) see a perfect 20/20 or exceed any of the "eye shape" parameters, you are required to wear corrective lenses.

I had a primary IP who was perfect in R eye and 20/25 L eye. The navy made him wear glasses.

If you get surgery pre-MEPS and heal, you would be able to go SNA no problem.

MrCorsair

Just got done with MEPS and my eyes are worse than I thought. I had 20/50 in my right eye, and 20/70 in my left uncorrected but they are correctable to 20/20. I passed the color vision and I believe I passed the DP test? She didn’t put that I failed it and I scored higher than someone else who got a “pass” on theirs? Anyways, are my goals of being a Naval Aviator over? Is LASIK/PRK my only option currently?

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

Just got done with MEPS and my eyes are worse than I thought. I had 20/50 in my right eye, and 20/70 in my left uncorrected but they are correctable to 20/20. I passed the color vision and I believe I passed the DP test? She didn’t put that I failed it and I scored higher than someone else who got a “pass” on theirs? Anyways, are my goals of being a Naval Aviator over? Is LASIK/PRK my only option currently?
Yes

MEPS doesn't pass people on physicals for officer candidates they just administer the test.

The vision is several parts for SNA, 2 of those are uncorrected is 20/40 or better, the other is correctable to 20/20.

MrCorsair

Yes. I've talked about it on the last couple pages of this forum post....

With your current eyes, you might be eligible for SNFO without surgery.
I am really focused on SNA, I want to be PIC. Since I am correctable to 20/20, and have 20/20 near vision uncorrected, perfect color vision etc, is it possible to get my distance acuity waived for SNA or is there no such waiver without surgery? I was re-reading the older posts you made on this thread to me, you said “if you don't naturally (or corrected via surgery) see a perfect 20/20 or exceed any of the "eye shape" parameters, you are required to wear corrective lenses.” Does this mean since I am correctable to 20/20 with my lenses, that I can be waived without surgery?

Sorry for all the questions, I am just confused with all the rules and corrected vs uncorrected stuff and what is waiverable/allowed.

exNavyOffRec

I am really focused on SNA, I want to be PIC. Since I am correctable to 20/20, and have 20/20 near vision uncorrected, perfect color vision etc, is it possible to get my distance acuity waived for SNA or is there no such waiver without surgery? I was re-reading the older posts you made on this thread to me, you said “if you don't naturally (or corrected via surgery) see a perfect 20/20 or exceed any of the "eye shape" parameters, you are required to wear corrective lenses.” Does this mean since I am correctable to 20/20 with my lenses, that I can be waived without surgery?

Sorry for all the questions, I am just confused with all the rules and corrected vs uncorrected stuff and what is waiverable/allowed.
No, any worse than 20/40 uncorrected is not qualifying and would require surgery to become qualified.