• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Dumb Ensign...

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
I asked on AW once before and no one had the email:
There was an Ensign in P'Cola who was trying to get VR right out of flight school. (Apparenlty about 6-8 years ago, the Navy drafted a few newly winged aviators and sent them to fly the C-9/C-40).
So this Ensign send an email to Pers-43 asking for advice on how to get VR out of flight school. He states in his email that the folks in student control don't know anything about VR (since it's a USNR thing only).
Well Pers-43 is an 1-star select and he get this email from an Ensign asking for help getting his first choice out of the VTs.
(Classic quote was that this Ensign wanted VR not because he wanted to avoid the boat, but that he really like the mission!!)
Pers-43 who's callsign at BUPERs is 'CAG' (I wonder what job he had previously to this one???) forward the email to an O-5 asking him to take care of this requet.
The O-5 forwards it to an O-4 at BUPERs for action.
The O-4 writes a lovely email to the Ensign explaining that the needs of the Navy will dictate what community he gets, also something about chain-of-command and not 'sending a head shot directly to the head of Naval Aviation detailing'. The O-4 says that the Ensign should find the Student Control officer the next morning ASAP since the O-4 just got off the phone with him and explain what had just happened.

That email went through the fleet like wildfire for about a year. I thought I saved a copy but can't find it. Most of the guys who have been around for 10+ years remember hearing about this email at some point.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Where do I start? On the same day I arrived at my first squadron post-FRS I, unknowingly, invited one of the O-4's in my squadron to be an AW "friend"...which resulted in a thorough perusal of my past posts (and you guys know I NEVER say ANYTHING stupid) and some harrasment from the hinges...

While in Primary at Vance my (vocalized) "opinion" of the quality of leadership, direction, and decision-making employed by the Air Force had me standing before the CO of the 8TH FTS, my Flight Commander, and my class, explaining my "thoughts" on the issue...

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
There was an Ensign in P'Cola who was trying to get VR right out of flight school. (Apparenlty about 6-8 years ago, the Navy drafted a few newly winged aviators and sent them to fly the C-9/C-40).
So this Ensign send an email to Pers-43 asking for advice on how to get VR out of flight school. He states in his email that the folks in student control don't know anything about VR (since it's a USNR thing only).
Well Pers-43 is an 1-star select and he get this email from an Ensign asking for help getting his first choice out of the VTs.
(Classic quote was that this Ensign wanted VR not because he wanted to avoid the boat, but that he really like the mission!!)
Pers-43 who's callsign at BUPERs is 'CAG' (I wonder what job he had previously to this one???) forward the email to an O-5 asking him to take care of this requet.
The O-4 writes a lovely email to the Ensign explaining that the needs of the Navy will dictate what community he gets, also something about chain-of-command and not 'sending a head shot directly to the head of Naval Aviation detailing'. The O-4 says that the Ensign should find the Student Control officer the next morning ASAP since the O-4 just got off the phone with him and explain what had just happened.

That email went through the fleet like wildfire for about a year. I thought I saved a copy but can't find it. Most of the guys who have been around for 10+ years remember hearing about this email at some point.

I think it started out "Dear Captain..." and I'm pretty sure I still have it somewhere. It was every bit as epic as the "Lead Ensign" email from last month.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I learned to check that my shoulder boards are not fastened backwards before I put on my SDB jacket.

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
I think it started out "Dear Captain..." and I'm pretty sure I still have it somewhere. It was every bit as epic as the "Lead Ensign" email from last month.

I still haven't been able to get my hands on that "Lead Ensign" email. Does anyone have it?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I still haven't been able to get my hands on that "Lead Ensign" email. Does anyone have it?

Dude! Seriously? Welcome to the internets. Check out this thing called "google" while you're at it.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor

I tried posting it here, but got the warn-hammer, as I expected I might...much easier than the ban hammer though. Let me see if I can dig it up and send it to you.

jpm269

pilot
You should never inform the CO or XO that they're on a hit list via mass email to all hit list personnel. I was informed very quickly of my mistake and went VFR direct to the XO to do some serious ass kissing. The XO being the guy he is just said relax Francis and get out of my office.

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
Five weeks out of the AD RAG, and I'm on my first Med cruise...as much as I loved (instrument and) formation flying, I guess I allowed myself to get a little sloppy one day entering the break over USS Saratoga...(probably fumbling for my lighter for a quick smoke before calling the ball)...

Following paddles de-brief (OK 3, IIRC--LOL!), flight (or section) leader quietly took me aside, and briefly lectured me on the importance of looking sharp around the ship...had to do with the troops on the boat...who worked so hard to keep the Air Wing in business...yet got to see the results only when we were "close in". As a former E-5 (NavCad), I instantly understood his point...and then promised myself to never be more than 3" out of position around the boat! ;)

Good lesson learned...
icon14.gif

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot

He was a student in VT-28 2003-4ish. I was either OPSO or AssOPSO, forgive my senior moment. The BUPERS O-4 you mention, the Student Control Officer and I knew each other from E-6s, so the news traveled very fast. The Student Control Officer and I had a field day with the dude. Needless to say, the remainder of his primary training was very painful. His only defense was that the admiral's web page at BUPERS specifically said he had an open door policy and to e-mail him if you had any personnel questions. Ironic thing is I was in on the decision by the Primary Production Task Group to shed the excess wingers to VR. All he had to do was ask and he would have had more info than he would ever had wanted from an IP he saw nearly everyday.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
Not a story but a little wisdom...

FITREPs are like college football rankings. You can lose early and work your way back into contention by the end of the year. If you lose late, you are done.

If you are going to fuck something up...do it early in your tour. If you do it near the end of a tour it will be the only thing the chain of command remembers about you.

so sayeth a terminal O-4:)

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
In light of that, if you want, please share with us newly commissioned Ensigns your greatest Ensign mistakes so we may learn from your wisdom.

I listened to other Ensigns, thinking they actually knew something :(

Huggy Bear

pilot
This thread should be titled the dumb LTJG thread since most aviators spend most of their ensign time in flight school. I spent my ensign years just doing dumb things in the cockpit. It was nice having no responsibilities other than learning to fly.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I vaguely remember walking out of the NASCC pizza joint, waving at CNATRA and saying something to the effect of "Have a good afternoon, sir!". Just ended up looking really awkward. Probably just best to STFU and walk smartly out of a restaurant and ignore the 1-star. Particularly if he's at the complete opposite end of the joint eating and watching the tube, and not on your way out the door.

Silly Ensigns... :D