• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The downside of women serving alongside men in fighting ships, subs, squadrons, etc.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Intrusive leadership! The CO should have been in all spaces at all times. Duh!

Sound's like Mongo's philosophy.....
remember when he wanted to know the whole itinerary for the CPO initiation week?? The Goat Locker did a collective WTF...and we had a Command Master Chief ask to leave over it.

Bevo16

pilot
Hopefully they granted his request.

If they are not doing anything wrong, they would not have had anything to hide.

Maybe if someone would have asked for an itinerary for Tailhook back in in 1991, the Aviation community would not have had such a black eye.

There are a lot of great traditions in the Chief's mess. The is also a lot of bullshit nonsense that gets passed on and passed down. Ever hear "Master Cheifs don't stand watch."?

Ask to see that instruction.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I'd bet money that some O's knew what was going on or had heard rumors, scuttlebutt, mutterings or jokes. Which leads to the question of when do you ignore rumors, etc and when do you start digging a little deeper?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd bet money that some O's knew what was going on or had heard rumors, scuttlebutt, mutterings or jokes. Which leads to the question of when do you ignore rumors, etc and when do you start digging a little deeper?

All this fraternization stuff came to light at the end and I honestly believe the wardroom had no idea about all this stuff happening in the chief's mess, especially the CO and XO. He was a great leader, officer and CO and the navy really messed up by ending his tour and probably his career. He was also "aviator friendly" and as we all know, that is hard to come by in the shoe world.

Why don't we take FFN's word for now until more comes to light. Just like mishaps, speculation right now is just that and often harmful or plain wrong.

Flugelman

Contributor
Sound's like Mongo's philosophy.....
remember when he wanted to know the whole itinerary for the CPO initiation week?? The Goat Locker did a collective WTF...and we had a Command Master Chief ask to leave over it.

What kind of a command was this? VP Goat Lockers tend to not be as cohesive as a shipboard Locker. I say this based on personal experience and discussions with several blackshoe CPOs.

Having said that, the Goat Locker belongs to the CO. It is a functional part of his command and operates at his pleasure. IMHO the CMC was out to lunch asking to leave. He owes his loyalty first to the CO and then to the other members of the mess. Good CO/Bad CO makes no difference. Anything else and the command structure falls apart.

Just my piddling $ .02

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Gee ... I wonder what the solution might be .... ???

How 'bout this:
Keep the fuckin' women OUT of the fuckin' men's deployed units ... and combat units, too. Some of you just don't want to accept some of the realities and truths of life ...

This just keeps repeating itself and repeating itself and repeating itself ... does ANYONE have ANY common sense out there, anymore ???

Bottom line: where have we heard this before .... ???? :sleep_125

H60Gunner

Contributor

On a ship like that, you bet everyone knows who is fucking who.

I could go on and on about integration. I was in the first VP squadron to integrate women. I deployed onboard Nimitz for the first integrated cruise. Both social experiments were complete disasters. XO fired, Legal O fired, numerous carnal knowledge incidents, marriages/careers destroyed, etc.. etc.

If the CPO mess in this incident is at fault, then stand by to stand by. It aint like we haven't been told what the rules are.

In my twisted mind it isn't about women in the military it's about leadership.

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
In my twisted mind it isn't about women in the military it's about leadership.

I agree that it's more about leadership than integration.

On that note though, I might be showing my FNG-ness a little bit, but what is so hard about just keeping it in your pouch? Maybe I'm just out of brain power on this one.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.....In my twisted mind it isn't about women in the military it's about leadership.

No, it's about men & women ... and what comes natural ... when they're together ... for months at a time.

Never heard of the airlines ??? That's only 'together' for days/couple of weeks at a time. It's also called 'opportunity'.

Get a grip, people.

H60Gunner

Contributor
No, it's about men & women ... and what comes natural ... when they're together ... for months at a time.

Never heard of the airlines ??? That's only 'together' for days/couple of weeks at a time. It's also called 'opportunity'.

Get a grip, people.

Agreed. You put a bunch of men and women together on a ship or in a remote location, they WILL find a way to "get together" everytime. Question is, will it effect unit cohesion?

Short

None
I love the notion that not being able to suppress the instincts that have developed over a few millenia is a matter of leadership. Take a look at the average FRS and try to find one that doesn't look like a maternity ward.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Gee ... I wonder what the solution might be .... ???

How 'bout this:
Keep the fuckin' women OUT of the fuckin' men's deployed units ... and combat units, too. Some of you just don't want to accept some of the realities and truths of life ...

This just keeps repeating itself and repeating itself and repeating itself ... does ANYONE have ANY common sense out there, anymore ???

Bottom line: where have we heard this before .... ???? :sleep_125
Amen bruddah! While it may be true that the majority of servicemembers serve withou incident, there will always be that significant minority that has a poisionous effect on the whole. Being a rifleman in a line company, it boggles my mind how inefficient and rigged the system is, and how pervasive fraternization is in (pardon the expression) pog units. This stuff absolutely affects unit cohesion: as the national consensus moves towards embracing the rotw viewpoint on women in combat units we will see systemic decreases in readiness from all units, as well as a lowering of standards that is already occuring in our nations race to expand it's forces without the vetting of rigorous training.