• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Doctor is in! Ask a Flight Surgeon!

BleedGreen

pilot
That may be true but since timebomb is a retired Navy Captain Flight Surgeon formerly assigned to NAMI, I'd tend to think his answers are probably better.

Of course that's just my two cents.....

I was not trying to undermine TimeBomb in anyway so I apologize if I came off in that manner.

jcj

I was not trying to undermine TimeBomb in anyway so I apologize if I came off in that manner.

You know, Google's good but for authoritative medical information can anything really beat The Farmer's Almanac?

Farmers%27_Almanac_Covers.jpg

Or my other favorite medical reference:

StarFleetMedicalReferenceManual.jpg

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
Hey, Dr. Google is the first stop for a lot of my patients. If you want to take jcj up on his offer of a PM hematology consultation, feel free to cc me on the same note. Between the three of us, we can probably get a decent plan of action.
R/

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey, Dr. Google is the first stop for a lot of my patients. If you want to take jcj up on his offer of a PM hematology consultation, feel free to cc me on the same note. Between the three of us, we can probably get a decent plan of action.
R/
And perhaps save Dr. Google from an expensive malpractice lawsuit?;)
BzB

exNavyOffRec

R/

I have used Dr. Google before trying to convince myself I don't need to go to the doctor.

danpass

Detail question about the General Packet, Medical.

The eye ointment inside ..... what is it? 5% Wondergoo? Brand name? Perhaps a link to a comparable on Amazon? lol

Thanks.

JoeHello

Just out of curiosity I would love if a Flight Surgeon could once and for all let me know about NAMI standards.
I have a hereditary kidney disease called Alport Syndrome but I am asymptomatic. My nephrologists, after biopsy and two years of ultrasound, have decided it should not effect my Naval career, but I am pretty sure NAMI will not waive this. Am I right?
I am active duty, and have been cleared to re-enlist. I am currently waiting for a response from N3M on whether I can apply for IW/SWO/INTEL/SUPPLY but haven't gotten any word back yet.
I was told I should be able to get a waiver for those designators, but I am guessing SNA/NFO is out of the questions. Any advice would be great. I have over 96% kidney function, it is not degrading, i have moderate proteinurea and blood in urine. Thank you in advance.

TimeBomb

JoeHello,
At the risk of boring everyone on the forum, any waiver discussion should start with the thought processes we go through when recommending, or not recommending, waivers of standards for chronic conditions. We have a good database on common conditions like hypertension, and how that condition and its treatment interact within the operational environment. For other conditions, like yours, there are a lot less hard data, and the senior physicians at BUMED, N3M and NAMI must use their judgment in recommending or not recommending waivers.

First and foremost, the navy is a forward deployed force. Career progression (both yours and other people's) depends on the ability for detailers to have flexibility in assignments. Any assignment limitation on your part has the potential to adversely affect your career, and the lives and careers of people you don't even know. If you can't go to Djibouti, somebody else has to. Specialty care or testing may not be easily available overseas, and even some CONUS assignments are so remote as to require medical screening of potential assignees due to the lack of medical support. Sending you back to CONUS to a tertiary care center like Bethesda, Portsmouth or Balboa would result in your unit picking up the TAD tab, and someone else filling your place on the watchbill for however long you're out of pocket.

Before recommending a waiver, we evaluate the condition, and any requirements for monitoring that condition, or treating that condition. The requirements should not exceed the capabilities of the typical operational physician, or the resources found in the typical forward deployed setting. The condition shouldn't require specialized testing or medications not routinely available to the unit.

Secondly, we look at the effect the operational environment may have on the condition. Can the condition be worsened by the typical stressors found in the operational setting like dehydration, irregular meals, or unpredictable sleep-wake cycles? Does the aviation environment pose additional risks for exacerbation of the condition, like noise, vibration, inhalation of concentrated oxygen, pressure changes or acceleration stresses? If there is no information, or if a reasonable argument can be made that the environment may worsen the condition, waivers generally aren't recommended.

Thirdly, we have to consider return on investment. In this environment of tightening fiscal constraints, can we anticipate that the natural history of the disease is likely to cause premature termination of a military career. Training, especially aviation training, is expensive, and if you go med-down shortly after winging, we've lost the opportunity to recoup our investment in you. Your note suggests that you have been diagnosed only recently with Alport syndrome. Two years of stability isn't that extensive of a track record when BUMED and NAMI have to consider the implications of commissioning you and putting you into the aviation pipeline.

I don't know if you'll be recommended for a waiver for commissioning. I probably wouldn't, mostly because of the assignment limitations your condition will probably place on you, and the adverse impact this will have on your promotability. It's been a long time since I was at NAMI, but if I were in my old chair, I wouldn't recommend a waiver for your medical condition for the reasons listed above.

R/

BleedGreen

pilot
Timebomb,
Thanks for explaining the waiver process in great detail!! very helpful for anyone with an extensive medical history

JoeHello

Sir,

Thank you for the excellent response and your honest opinion. Unfortunately it is very much what I assumed. I have my fingers crossed a waiver will come through for IW and other IDC ratings, but I completely understand if the risk is too high for the Navy. For now, I am able to re-enlist and continue my service in that capacity.

Again, thank you for the great response and detailed explanation of how the process works. It must be a very difficult job, but I understand that NAMI, BUMED, and N3M must put the needs of the Navy first.

Very Respectfully,

CTI2

TimeBomb

Waiver recommendation is always a balancing act between the wants and needs of the service member, and the wants and needs of the Navy. If it were simply "needs of the Navy", the calculus would be pretty simple, and the number of waiver recommendations gets very small.

Waiver requests for complex or uncommon medical conditions always generated a lot of discussion among the staff at NAMI, and we tried to take as many known factors into account as we could when making a recommendation. Most operational medicine physicians (flight surgeons, UMOs, GMOs) are fresh out of internship, meaning that they have one year of general training after graduating medical school. You're being monitored by nephrologists, who have at least five years of training out of medical school, two of which focused solely on one organ system. It isn't fair to you or to your GMO to expect the same level of expertise.

Sorry you had to get so familiar with medical at such a young age. You sound bright and motivated...both very desirable qualities. The Navy is fortunate to have you.
R/

phrogpilot73

It is to the point that you could suck ass at your job, get DQd from certifications etc... but as long as your PT record is clean, and you spend more time bobbing on the volunteerism dong, you are still golden.
Wow, never in my lifetime did I think this was going to happen: "It appears that the Air Force and the Marines share something in common..."

danpass

Detail question about the General Packet, Medical.

The eye ointment inside ..... what is it? 5% Wondergoo? Brand name? Perhaps a link to a comparable on Amazon? lol

Thanks.
Is there some otc item, some type of eye drops perhaps, that meets the same intent? (or comes close)

Trey4383

Question for the Docs/Experienced out there:
About a year and ago, I was having some mild heartburn problems, and I saw a gastroenterologist. On my medical documents from my EGD, it says moderately severe localized reflux esophagitis, but does not say GERD. I had a follow up at the gastro doc’s office about a year ago in which I saw the nurse practitioner there. On that report, it says Impressions: GERD with prior esophagitis. Since then, I have long discontinued use of the medicine (dexilant) that was prescribed to me, and the symptoms have completely disappeared. No tests were ran when I saw the nurse practitioner, but I believe she (and the gasto Doc beforehand) may have just put GERD because I told them I thought I had acid reflux. As I now live in a new city, I saw a new gastroenterologist today to do complete testing, and he told me that all issues have been resolved, and I am in perfect condition. He even mentioned he found me exceptionally qualified for military service and is writing a personalized letter for when I send my package to MEPS. He did not perform an EGD because he stated he found it uneeded since his testing thus far has revealed that all issues are resolved, but he did say he would schedule an EGD if it was absolutely needed for me to be found physically qualified.
My main question is:
Since this new doctor's testing indeed reports that all issues have been resolved with lifestyle changes and that I have been off of PPIs for a few months, and I do not have GERD or esophagitis, will I be disqualified from Navy officer service when I send my documents to MEPS pre-enlistment/pre-commission? Should I have the EGD performed first and also send that in my report to MEPS? I really hope not as this issue was only minor heartburn in the first place, and now it has completely gone away without the need for any medicine, OTC or presciption. Thanks in advance.
–Trey