• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Doctor is in! Ask a Flight Surgeon!

Too_Tall34

Hi all, wondering if anybody could answer this for me. I saw something online that was from 2009 and was the Navy's height requirements and maximums. It said the maximum height to fly was 76" for pilot and 78" for NFO. Currently I'm in college and am 79" tall and 210 pounds and was wondering if I would be disqualified from certain platforms or disqualified altogether. I know that for civilian airlines a pilot my size could still fly a 737, so common sense says I should be able to fit in at least a P-8 right???

TexasTools

None
I know that for civilian airlines a pilot my size could still fly a 737, so common sense says I should be able to fit in at least a P-8 right???

Be careful with that "common sense" phrase and making assumptions... you actually need to be able to fit into a T-6 before you get to the P-8.

OPNAVINST 3710.37A seems to have your answers. 77" for SNA, 78" for SNFO. The DONI website says that version is still current.

Too_Tall34

So I'm basically screwed? Or do they make exceptions because it's not that big of a difference?

Be careful with that "common sense" phrase and making assumptions... you actually need to be able to fit into a T-6 before you get to the P-8.

OPNAVINST 3710.37A seems to have your answers. 77" for SNA, 78" for SNFO. The DONI website says that version is still current.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Might be a big difference to your spine as it shatters in an ejection because your head sticks up above the seat.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
So they dont make exceptions even just for a couple inches? :/

It's a standard. The whole point is to fit within the standards and not just have a standard to then deviate from because it's "convenient."

That said, you don't really know how tall you are until the Navy measures you. Be aware that there are other measurements you must meet besides just overall height/weight. But at the end of the day, until they say no, there's always still a chance.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
Not that I have seen recently going through the medical screening/qualing process and a couple inches is a lot when it involves sitting up straight. Out of standards is pretty self explanatory you'd think. A lot of recruiters are sending individuals off to OCS telling them that exceptions exist and they all seem to be getting NPQ at OCS. There's even a slim chance for the slouch swag later on down the road at NAMI for some if they get lucky but they still don't seem to realize that they lose their legs or spine if they have to punch.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't think you fully grasp what I'm saying. If you're too tall for an ejection seat, it could kill you when you use it. I would hope your sense of self-preservation would kick in vs. your career aspirations.

eggobase

Hey guys,

I know nobody is going to be able to give me a definitive answer on this, but a lot of you have personal experience with NAMI issues and I would like to hear from you if you have the time.

My issue is with childhood asthma. The last time I used an inhaler was age 5, so MEPS didn't care about it. N3M came back and said I was PQ for everything but aviation. So I went and got the PFT and MCT, passed both, and got a waiver from N3M. On top of that the pulmonologist who did the tests documented his opinion that the original asthma diagnosis was made in error.

I know I'm eligible to apply for a waiver, but I'm curious as to how this compares to other cases you've heard of. The terms childhood asthma casts a wide net, but have you seen people denied NAMI wavers for asthma at such a young age, with passing PFT and MCT?

Thank you for your help.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
Hey guys,

I know nobody is going to be able to give me a definitive answer on this, but a lot of you have personal experience with NAMI issues and I would like to hear from you if you have the time.

My issue is with childhood asthma. The last time I used an inhaler was age 5, so MEPS didn't care about it. N3M came back and said I was PQ for everything but aviation. So I went and got the PFT and MCT, passed both, and got a waiver from N3M. On top of that the pulmonologist who did the tests documented his opinion that the original asthma diagnosis was made in error.

I know I'm eligible to apply for a waiver, but I'm curious as to how this compares to other cases you've heard of. The terms childhood asthma casts a wide net, but have you seen people denied NAMI wavers for asthma at such a young age, with passing PFT and MCT?

Thank you for your help.
Did a pulmonary function test at my physical before I applied and that was sent off to N3M and cleared the next day. Personally all the navy wanted from me before giving me the all clear at OCS was a Methacholine challenge. Granted I had solid lungs from swimming my whole life so the tests weren't an issue. YMMV with your tests. I think you get an NPQ in your file with a waiver of some sort if all is well with your tests and they send you on your way. My recruiter worked closely with the powers that be to make sure things didn't get forgotten about in the pipeline so treat them well, also the processor because she was on her game. I stressed about this stuff and it wasn't the thing that almost got me, I was 20/20 at OCS and when I went to NAMI and did their half lit room vision test was 20/40. Talk with your recruiter and play nice and things usually work out.

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
eggobase,
We used to look at a normal methacholine challenge test as solid evidence against the diagnosis of asthma. I don't think you'll have major problems with the aviation side with that information in your application. Don't forget to look at the Aeromedical Waiver Guide for the proper form to fill out for NAMI. They require specific paperwork prior to recommending a waiver.
R/

Gator Guard

always knife hands
I was NPQ at MEPS due to childhood ITP that resolved with steroid theropy (3 yo, last for 6 months). 2 blood tests 8 weeks apart established a stable platlet count of 130k-140k. Waiver granted by N3M. Is this going to come up again at OCS during the flight physical when they draw blood and find my platlets at the bottom of average range?

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
Gator,
Probably. The standards for aviation are higher than for commissioning in general. NAMI may or may not recommend a waiver based on their evaluation of your history and current lab work.
R/