• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Doctor is in! Ask a Flight Surgeon!

exNavyOffRec

Hello,
I have two questions about my medical situation. I am currently waiting for the SNA/SNFO applicant waiting for the board to meet at the end of this month and I have two questions about my medical situation.

1. I have childhood asthma in my medical records past age 13 and the only reason why is because my parents wanted me to get an inhaler before I left for college which I did not use. I took a PFT before going to MEPS but not a MCT. When I went to MEPS and talked with the CMO he said my history of asthma was fine and I did not need to get a waiver for that. I was wondering if I did get an OCS slot will I have to take an MCT at OCS or should I take an MCT now so I could avoid taking it with OCS stress?

2. I did get NPQ'd for my history of eczema and had to see a dermatologist to get a waiver from N3M. If I did get an OCS slot what would I have to do at OCS when I get a flight physical and is there anyway I can avoid this?

Thank you for your time

I have had one applicant with a history of eczema and they were denied, but they still had a few spots occasionally.

I have had and seen at my NRD people with a history of asthma go in, I have seen more than a few get DQ aviation while in OCS while others get through, just be prepared.

Victor de Leon

I have had one applicant with a history of eczema and they were denied, but they still had a few spots occasionally.

I have had and seen at my NRD people with a history of asthma go in, I have seen more than a few get DQ aviation while in OCS while others get through, just be prepared.
Thank you for the link. Just curious were your applicants able to re-designate?

exNavyOffRec

Yes I have a waiver for my eczema with a letter from N3M. The CMO at MEPS didn't NPQ me for asthma so I didn't need to get a waiver for that.

@NavyOffRec My kit is at PM so is it safe to assume that I am cleared for a commission through OCS?

you are cleared by N3M to be commissioned, at the bottom of your letter it will say N3M defers to NAMI for aviation programs, so your next hurdle will be at OCS.

binoly

I posted the following in finsel purgatory as I was unaware of the existence of this thread. Can anyone provide any insight or experience to the following:
Long story short, I got npq today. They did say that I have one final shot to send in some clarifying information but can anyone speak specifically to getting this turned around? My disqualifiers were seasonal allergies and migraines. The seasonal allergies are minor so that should be an easy fix. On the migraines the medical manual says that they are disqualifying if they affect the normal function. I've never been siq or treated during or after a migraine. The only catch 22 is that it says if you have been prescribed medication. In 3 years it's disqualifying. Is this something that I can realistically get waivered? I can't let this be the end of my journey.

Just to add a little more information. The NPQ letter didn't mention immunotherapy, but I have taken immunotherapy for my allergies. It was optional, and elected by me in the hopes that I could one day quit taking Claritin daily. It has been successful. MANMED states that I could not have had those shots within the last year, and my last shot was in February. I have not had a need to take allergy medication daily anymore, and have really only taken it once or twice in the past 8 months since my last shot.

I did get letters from my PCM, and the Dr.'s that I have been referred to regarding both my allergies and my migraines. The biggest thing that I’m worried about at this point is my medication for migraines. That says I can't have had any prescriptions within 3 years. Does it matter that I've never sought emergency care, SIQ, or left work early due to a headache? I have attached what I sent today to NRC if anyone would like to review and provide any comments.

Attachments

• MEDDOCS.pdf
    99.4 KB · Views: 17

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
BleedGreen is correct.
Only Navy Personnel Command can take away a commission. Eligibility for programs (like aviation, SPECWAR, submarine duty) hinges on the applicant meeting specific qualifications, which are supported by the medical community, like NAMI in the case of aviation.
If you cannot meet the qualifications for a community, you may be asked to enter another community, provided there is a need. That's where the transfer/redesignation board comes into play. If there are no takers for you, then NPC cuts the separation paperwork.
R/