• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The basics of API

OSUbeaver

Time to musk up
pilot
Stupid question, but what does that mean? 100 SNAs from the current pipeline or 100 spots available to applicants/rotc/USNA?

In the 3-4 months in was in Pcola, there were 6-7 people that I personally knew who DOR'd, NPQ'd, or attrited.

This morning they put out that there is greater than a 75% chance that if you DOR and want to get out of the Navy with zero monetary obligation they can make it happen. The meeting for those desiring to DOR is tomorrow morning at 0900 and I'm guessing there will be more than 7 people there.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
This morning they put out that there is greater than a 75% chance that if you DOR and want to get out of the Navy with zero monetary obligation they can make it happen. The meeting for those desiring to DOR is tomorrow morning at 0900 and I'm guessing there will be more than 7 people there.

Problem with giving such a short window to DOR without any strings attached is maybe guys that want to get out haven't thought of a back up plan yet. There is also the pride issue to deal with, all your friends and family think you're here to be the next Maverick and feed that ego and then on top of that, in this economy that ENS pay isn't too bad so I could see why someone would want to ride it out as long as possible until they HAD to make a choice. If they were going to give a date it should be a month down the line since guys/gals are still in the pool that long anyway. Gives them time to think it over and talk about it with family and maybe look into finding a job elsewhere.

OSUbeaver

Time to musk up
pilot
Valid point OU, I should add that they called us all in and got the ball rolling Tuesday morning and this seemed to be an attempt to sweeten the deal.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor

Wow. I'm not sure if that's desperation or pragmatism. It would be a pretty crunchy situation around the spaces to be the guys who go to the meeting and end up not dropping.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
You say that a 4.0 does not equate to someone being a good aviator (and I agree), but along the same rationale, how does API equate to a guy having good stick and rudder skills? A guy could be an absolute stud in the plane, but may never get the chance to show it with the academic bar being raised even further. What's the difference between the guy who gets a 90 and the guy who gets attrited with an 88? At that point in the training, there is little to no difference. There simply has to be a better answer.

Actually, API IS a good indicator of flight school success. Stick skills mean little in Navy flight school. Over a long enough timeline MOST people can reach a relatively equal level of stick skills. What makes flight school unique is the VOLUME of information and integration of procedures which requires a LOT of preparation and studying for. That is what API is about. Can you study vast amounts of knowledge and then regurgitate it later on? If so, great. You stand a chance of success in primary.

Of course in Advanced, RAG, and fleet it goes beyond basic memorization, and more towards complete understanding and tactical expertise, but for primary they want to know you can take in tons of knowledge and keep up with the firehose.

Thus, your point isn't valid. A 3.7 in engineering and a top performer in API shows that the person will likely succeed in flight school.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Last time I looked at the numbers, the vast majority of studs attrite or DOR in API and Primary prior to Safe-for-solo. The numbers plummet after soloing. I don't know if MPTS has changed that, but I doubt it. The biggest point of failure isn't inability to master the stick-and-rudder skills, it's inability to master the material in the short amount of time allowed. I've seen CFI's and CFII's flunk out of API, and I know they've washed out of Primary, largely because they couldn't or wouldn't learn "the Navy way".

Point is, while it's true that API and academic background aren't necessarily a reliable predictor of performance in the program, if someone's struggling in API, it's very unlikely they'll get to Primary and suddenly become Jimmy Thatch II. Military flight school isn't about just going up and throwing the plane around.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot

They offered that to us last year, except the number circulating was closer to 90%. My buddy wanted out of the Navy. He bit and said 'DOR'.

He's now on a DDG out of San Diego. Roll the dice, take the chance...

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
They offered that to us last year, except the number circulating was closer to 90%. My buddy wanted out of the Navy. He bit and said 'DOR'.

He's now on a DDG out of San Diego. Roll the dice, take the chance...

The way it was stated, you didn't *have* to go to another community. You just went to reserves or out altogether.

visual_scan

26% of just over 100 applicants received SNA pro-recs in January, 68% of 85 received NFO pro-recs. Why is big Navy continuing to bring people into the training pipeline while they are looking to attrite them post-OCS?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
26% of just over 100 applicants received SNA pro-recs in January, 68% of 85 received NFO pro-recs. Why is big Navy continuing to bring people into the training pipeline while they are looking to attrite them post-OCS?

It's all about the year group...

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
It's all about the year group...

Bingo. Like anything else in the Navy, it's all about a specific group of people with specific timing. Once you're committed to a certain group, you're in THAT group and almost nothing can change that. You got a 68NSS and your third choice of P-3s, and a dude the next week with a 49.5 got jets? You wanted jets and he P-3s? Too bad.

My roommate wanted HSC San Diego. A WEEK prior, a dude wanted HSC Norfolk. Roomie got Norfolk, the other dude San Diego. Why can't stucon/admin just swap their orders? Who knows.... but that's just the way it is (cue music).

2010 has too many pilots and they are kicking people out for jaywalking, yet 2012 can be super easy to get selected and 75% are getting picked up. The world wonders and the Navy (manning types) laughs.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
2010 has too many pilots and they are kicking people out for jaywalking, yet 2012 can be super easy to get selected and 75% are getting picked up. The world wonders and the Navy (manning types) laughs.

You really never know though.....same thing could happen for YG11 and beyond. It seems like this sort of stuff is kind of like a tracom flight schedule; build a normal flight schedule, even when wx is forecast to be FG BR +SN OVC001 for the next 48 hrs, on the off chance that the forecasters are wrong. A more general reduction in forces being analagous to the bad wx in this case....

I doubt there are too many folks out there (be it senior or at my lowly level) who can authoritatively speak to what the needs of Naval Air are going to be in 3 or 4 years, so it would make sense to have some guys on reserve in case it does NEED. Easier to cut what you already have, then go scrounging at the last minute......just think "working party" :)

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Bingo. Like anything else in the Navy, it's all about a specific group of people with specific timing. Once you're committed to a certain group, you're in THAT group and almost nothing can change that. You got a 68NSS and your third choice of P-3s, and a dude the next week with a 49.5 got jets? You wanted jets and he P-3s? Too bad.

My roommate wanted HSC San Diego. A WEEK prior, a dude wanted HSC Norfolk. Roomie got Norfolk, the other dude San Diego. Why can't stucon/admin just swap their orders? Who knows.... but that's just the way it is (cue music).

Don't know about officer land, but at the FRS they did this all the time for enlisted guys.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Don't know about officer land, but at the FRS they did this all the time for enlisted guys.

I heard of it once....guy around my selection time in primary got P-3's (was a Corpus type) and a buddy of his at Whiting got helos. They both wanted the opposite, agreed on the trade, and CNATRA (or whomever) signed off on it. Friend is now in SD at the HSC FRS. On the flipside, my old Corpus roomattes went helos, and out of advanced one wanted SD, one wanted Japan. Guess who got which? And no, they weren't allowed to swap.

Ajleger

so who else is excited about the new daily muster in inspection-ready uniforms every day regardless of your stash job?