• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The basics of API

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I feel for you SNA types in primary. My roommate's fiance checked into Corpus in early September, hasn't flown yet, and from what she's said he doesn't expect to graduate until this September.

I also wonder does this affect NFOs as well? I seem to remember when this was an issue 5 years ago (well, from AW postings at least) that they were really only culling out the pilots.

But yeah it's definitely a cyclical thing, can even change from month to month, so unless you're classing up this exact week I wouldn't stress too much. My roommate in Pcola attrited last December and got kicked out (along with everyone at that board), but another one of my friends who got NPQed in March, only 3 months later, is redesignating.

Just study your hardest, don't be an idiot, and do what your instructors tell you. Oh, and don't be afraid to ask for help if you have the slightest inkling you might need it.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I know we are really backed up in the jet pipeline right now, at least in terms of completing folks. Lot's of guys in the program, limited on how many they can wing. My class was pushed back from winging in March (when we could have feasibly winged this month honestly) to mid-April, and there are rumors we will actually be held until June. The Marines in TW1 will not be winging anyone else until June after this Friday. Word is that the FRS's are backed up.....maybe true, maybe not. Either way, it seems to be bottlenecking here at the moment.

I'm hearing the same thing, specifically about the jet pipeline (and FRSesssess). But what's happening at that level and what's happening at the API and fleet level (non-jet FRS) don't quite jive. Yes, I understand it's a big game of wait and flood, but there's more to the puzzle than just the (roughly) half of the Navy platforms (ie, jets).

Good luck w/ Advanced. I'm hearing scary things...mostly just rumor...about studs at the fleet level, but I'm sure it's like everything else: don't be at the wrong end of the curve.

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
I tell you what, that Vance option is looking better and better everyday. At least if you go that route you have a chance of finishing primary before you hit LTCDR:p

I am actually considering it.....

VINNYNY

It doesn't look like my last attempted post made it in, so I'll try again.

I've heard students' concerns about the criteria that will be used to make the proposed cuts and agree whole-heartedly that it shouldn't be a raw numbers game. I'm advocating for the position that non-academic issues should be factored in as well. If we staffers have our way, poor officership and bad attitude will come into play. We don't want to see felons, abusers and malingerers get their wings any more than you do--especially when we may be forced to eliminate good officers to appease the bean counters.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I know we are really backed up in the jet pipeline right now, at least in terms of completing folks. Lot's of guys in the program, limited on how many they can wing. My class was pushed back from winging in March (when we could have feasibly winged this month honestly) to mid-April, and there are rumors we will actually be held until June. The Marines in TW1 will not be winging anyone else until June after this Friday. Word is that the FRS's are backed up.....maybe true, maybe not. Either way, it seems to be bottlenecking here at the moment.

The rumor at TW-2 was no Marines winging until late spring, but they have winged two more groups since then. Supposedly there will be another winging in March of just Marines, and no Navy in March. Obviously things can change, but I'm interested to see how things go for both TW's 1 and 2.

OSUbeaver

Time to musk up
pilot
I feel for you SNA types in primary. My roommate's fiance checked into Corpus in early September, hasn't flown yet, and from what she's said he doesn't expect to graduate until this September.

I also wonder does this affect NFOs as well? I seem to remember when this was an issue 5 years ago (well, from AW postings at least) that they were really only culling out the pilots.

But yeah it's definitely a cyclical thing, can even change from month to month, so unless you're classing up this exact week I wouldn't stress too much. My roommate in Pcola attrited last December and got kicked out (along with everyone at that board), but another one of my friends who got NPQed in March, only 3 months later, is redesignating.

Just study your hardest, don't be an idiot, and do what your instructors tell you. Oh, and don't be afraid to ask for help if you have the slightest inkling you might need it.

Word that was put out at the Tuesday muster was that they needed to cut 100 pilot slots and 70 NFO slots over the next year.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Let it run itself out for 1 year - 1 day, on the last day have a beer pong tournament where the losers go home.

srqwho

pilot
Word that was put out at the Tuesday muster was that they needed to cut 100 pilot slots and 70 NFO slots over the next year.

Stupid question, but what does that mean? 100 SNAs from the current pipeline or 100 spots available to applicants/rotc/USNA?

In the 3-4 months in was in Pcola, there were 6-7 people that I personally knew who DOR'd, NPQ'd, or attrited.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Interesting to hear about the "need" to cut 70 NFO slots, because here in VT-86 it seems like they're trying their hardest to push us through as fast as possible. In fact, all of my friends in tomorrow's winging class are heading out to the RAGs within a week of winging. I know I'm a dumb ensign and all, but unless they're anticipating a massive drop in NFO slots in the near future, the attriting 70 people thing just doesnt add up. And yeah, they said the same thing last year.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Interesting to hear about the "need" to cut 70 NFO slots, because here in VT-86 it seems like they're trying their hardest to push us through as fast as possible. In fact, all of my friends in tomorrow's winging class are heading out to the RAGs within a week of winging. I know I'm a dumb ensign and all, but unless they're anticipating a massive drop in NFO slots in the near future, the attriting 70 people thing just doesnt add up. And yeah, they said the same thing last year.

I have a feeling they're pushing you through because they need to move you onto the next wicket. Losing the 70 slots is possibly because there's a glut somewhere in the snake and they need to give the snake a gastric-bypass. Sometimes the reduction isn't because of something years down the road (though often it is), but instead, sometimes it's a quick fix for something near-term w/ the understanding they'll have to pay the piper later.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Makes sense. I'm curious though, how exactly would they anticipate a glut or lack of students years in advance? Either way, doesn't sound like a fun job. I'll just stick to studying and flying.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Makes sense. I'm curious though, how exactly would they anticipate a glut or lack of students years in advance? Either way, doesn't sound like a fun job. I'll just stick to studying and flying.

Other way around. Every so often, there's a glut when they don't expect it. 2004-05 was an example. The pipeline filled up, hurricanes attacked, hail attacked, and all of a sudden you had a minimum score of 90 in API and studs going FTS or getting out. Weird things happen.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
The understanding I had was YG09 and YG10 are overmanned. So those YGs need to loose people. That includes everyone coming in the next few months. A-Pool seems to be an easy target though. Little $$ invested in most of us training wise. It's nice to know we might at least be given a chance to prove ourselves.