• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Art of the Helicopter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broadsword2004

Hey, I just found this book in the library today called "The Art of the Helicopter" by John Watkinson; it is pretty detailed technically, but it goes over a LOT about helicopters, from transmissions to engines to rotors, to tail rotors, dynamics, etc.....it seems like a book that could give one a really good grasp on helicopters; just thought I'd mention it for would-be pilots that might want to learn the fundamentals of helicopters, as it seems very good. The book is also brand new (published 2004).

HueyCobra8151

pilot
99 bones? Screw that...if you really want to know, you could find a lot of info on the web for free.

Flying a helicopter is easy. Power on, ignite, twist with your left hand, make sure all the lines line up with the green strips that avi put on the gauges.

Pull up with your left hand.

Don't mast bump with your right hand.

If it stops leaking, you are out of fluids.

If you have something stupid/funny to say, make sure you only pull the trigger to the first click, or tower will yell at you, and you will be the butt of some jokes when you get back.

Bonus points for wing-overs.

Ez.

I never actually got any stick time, but that is about what I was told/saw while sitting left-seat...

As for how it works: The pilot inputs controls to alter the pitch of control surfaces which are transmitted through a series of tubes, levers, and bellcranks. By altering the pitch of control surfaces, lift is created or destroyed throughout the arc of the blades (disproportionately if cyclic controls are inputed, and proportionately if collective controls are inputed). The dissimilarity of lift is what allows the aircraft to turn or move forward/backward, similar lift is what allows the aircraft to move upwards and downwards.

Saved ya $99.95 :D

/joking
//not a pilot, so don't listen to me

rare21

pilot
Contributor
easy? i believe it is an art. something that shouldnt be up in the air actually is...and you put it there.

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
HueyCobra8151 said:
dissimilarity

it's Dyssymmetry

[boondock saints]"Symbology"? Well, now that Duffy's relinquished his King Bonehead crown, I see we have a new heir to the throne. The word I believe you're looking for is "symbolism".[/boondock]

for a guy that knows nothing about a how a helo gets around, i learned much from what you said.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
ENSsquid said:
it's Dyssymmetry

Pardon my ignorance, but aren't they essentially the same thing in this case since Dssymmetry is inherintely dissimilar?

eg: In a left hand turn, the lift created on the #2 side of the aircraft would not be similar to the left created on the #1 side of the aircraft.

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
HueyCobra8151 said:
Pardon my ignorance

I was just giving a smart-ass answer. You probably know more about how helos work than I do... hence my 'I learned from what you said' comment.

NOSWO

Naval Aviator, MH-60S Knighthawk
I think I read dissymmetry of lift in some book at some time....but that was way before I picked up the LHD NATOPS.....so now all I can think about are Alpha/Delta Patterns and Emergency marshals :(

HueyCobra8151

pilot
ENSsquid said:
I was just giving a smart-ass answer. You probably know more about how helos work than I do... hence my 'I learned from what you said' comment.

D'oh...

I was punked by e-sarcasm.

I was going to make a smart-ass answer to your smart-ass answer to my smart-ass answer, but I decided the universe would probably implode or something.

Broadsword: Are you reading that book? How is it?

Broadsword2004

Well I just started it, I am reading it in my spare time. It goes into a lot of detail about the aspects of a helo though (at least as far as an aviation newbie like me could be concerned). It goes into a lot about how lift is generated from the rotors, the engine, the tranny, types of helos, instruments, a lot about rotors themselves, etc....it also gets into the mathematics and physics somewhat in one section on helo mechanics, but it isn't an engineering text where you need a year of calculus or something to understand it.

It goes into detail about the tail rotor too, like how and when a helo can fly without a tail rotor, why tail rotors are placed in different areas of the tail (like some tail rotors are placed at the top of the "tail fin," some at the bottom of it), etc....it seems to give the reader a very thorough grounding in all the aspects of helos.

It also has a lot of diagrams throughout for all the different subjects, which helps clear things up.

I am not a pilot yet, so I mean my critique of it is limited, but it seems like a very good text for people wanting to learn about helos.

This is just a sidenote in case anyone is interested, I also saw in the same library a book on visual heads-up displays for helicopters (like 200 or so pages all on HUDs in helos). I forget the title though, or when the book was published, I can check though.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Broadsword2004 said:
I am not a pilot yet, so I mean my critique of it is limited, but it seems like a very good text for people wanting to learn about helos.

Your critique of the book would be better than a pilots, IMO, since the book is geared towards people who "want to learn about helos."

If you have any mechanical questions send me a PM.

Broadsword2004

Thanks; I just meant in terms of technical things the book describes, a pilot might be able to critique if the book describes the details clearly enough, I suppose; I see your point though.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Or you could save your money and get a copy of the Navy Advanced helo pubs (helicopter aerodynamics, and TH-57B/C systems). It'll explain a lot. Plus since most of you will be helo guys anyway (according to the """#'s""") it'd be a good place to start.

I can understand you being fascinated with helos, I was the same way and back when I was in your shoes I probably would have done the same thing if I came across a book like that but I thought I'd throw the Navy Pub thing out there. You're kinda getting ahead of yourself but it's good to see someone interested in helos.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Here is a website where you can buy NATOPS manuals for many aircraft.

http://www.eflightmanuals.com/detail/itemList.asp?CategoryGroupID=11

You can pick up an AH-1W or a UH-1/HH-1N (and many others) NATOPS manual for less than $20 on CD. If you want a hard copy of them, they vary in price and are closer to $50/60.

They will basically tell you all the operating limits, how every system works, emergency procedures, etc...., etc...

NATOPS manuals won't get into the basics of flight or anything, but it will tell you how everything works, more or less.

I don't know how much you will get out of them, but dropping $20 probably wouldn't be too bad, and you would probably find it interesting.

Here are the pubs that E5B referred to (in PDF):

Introduction to Helicopter Aerodynamics

Systems Workbook, Engineering, and Transition T-57 B/C

Status
Not open for further replies.