• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Ammo Oracle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good evening, fellow Air Warriors. Your friendly [highlight]gun nut[/highlight] here with some information some of y'all may be interested in. What I am providing a link to is The Ammo Oracle. Everything you'd ever want to know about the .223 Remington/5.56x45mm cartridge. Read up. Some of you could use it, some of you I know are interested, and Marines, you guys will probably get a kick out of it.

http://www.ammo-oracle.com/

RevnR6

Getting Closer and Closer by the minute
Man, I just spent an hour reading all of that. Good read though. Had some specifics that were nice to know.

Grant

OK, I read that page top to bottom, but it never clearly answered a question that I've had (or else I completely missed it, as I was nodding off due to all the technical ramblings)... I've heard that a rifle chambered for 5.56 NATO can safely fire .223 Rem, but .223 Rem chambered rifles should not fire 5.56 NATO, due to higher pressures and differences in headspace, etc. True?

I'm just wondering, because some people say to fire ONLY what its "intended" for, that there is no crossover whatsoever.

Grant

Yeah, I saw that, but it says, "Opinion: In general it is a bad idea to attempt to fire 5.56 rounds (e.g., M193, M855) in .223 chambers, particularly with older rifles."

But it makes no mention conversely. I guess the writers were expecting readers to be smarter than me. :D

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Grant said:
Yeah, I saw that, but it says, "Opinion: In general it is a bad idea to attempt to fire 5.56 rounds (e.g., M193, M855) in .223 chambers, particularly with older rifles."

But it makes no mention conversely. I guess the writers were expecting readers to be smarter than me. :D

It means it isn't prohibited, it's just advised against due to dimensional differences. Use your power of reason and rationale :D Remember, military ammo on average is loaded hotter than normal commercial ammo of the same cartridge. Not always the case, but a lot of the times it is.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Fly Navy said:
Remember, military ammo on average is loaded hotter than normal commercial ammo of the same cartridge.

Unless it's one of my reloads.

Which brings me to the 5th rule in gun safety: "never shoot someone elses reloads"

Good article Fly Navy.

Status
Not open for further replies.