• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Thanks for the advice, One more question

Byrdman

Earlier I asked everyone on here about a drug waiver. Well I was honest with my recruiter about the one time use of Steroids about 9 yrs ago and received a pro rec for SNFO. So thank everyone here for telling people to be honest and no thide things.

My next question is that I had looked at the Air Force before the Navy and went to MEPS. When I went to Meps it never even crossed my mind that I had done any drugs, also I didn't truly know (you can laugh at me) that steroids were illegal till reading on the OCS site and Airwarriors. Well I got tired of waiting on the Air Force boards and after talking with the Navy this is where I truly want to be.

The problem that I have now is that I have a MEPS physical that has not expired and they said I have to use it. However, I have signed it saying that I haven't used drugs, and when i did sign it I honestly did think I hadn't done illegal drugs. Well how do I go about getting it changed. My recruiter doesn't know so any help would be great. I have nothing to hide nor do I want to b/c I do believ honesty is the best policy.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I've never done the whole Pro-Rec/OCS thing (only had a DODMERB physical) so take what I say w/ a grain of salt. However, I'm inclined to say, "don't worry about it." If you're already "accepted" to OCS, and the drug use is documented, then the physical is just a means to make sure you're qualified medically, and not really another thing for them to "catch" you on. You're not hiding anything, and if asked, you can explain what happened, so I really wouldn't sweat it.

Any other OCS guys (or maybe Wink) care to chime in?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Well, he's not accepted yet, he's just pro-rec'd, so I'd say this might be a hurdle on the way to final select. Then again, it might not be.

KBayDog

Thisguy said:
...he's just pro-rec'd...

Could somebody please explain to me, a member of Gang Green, what this Navy "pro-rec" thing is that seems to appear in every other AW post?

Clarification: I am wondering what "pro-rec" is; I see it mentioned several times a day, yet I don't know what it stands for/what it means in terms of commissioning.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Thisguy said:
Well, he's not accepted yet, he's just pro-rec'd, so I'd say this might be a hurdle on the way to final select. Then again, it might not be.

Okay. I'm w/ Kbay on this...I guess I don't understand the distinction. That said, he's put in his package and a board looks at it. In it they see transcripts, a physical, and probably some other admin paperwork which may include a drug waiver that everyone has. Are they really going to go cross-check the medical w/ the waiver? I'm asking in a serious manner, and not trying to be difficult, as I don't know. But I have my suspensions they probably don't. Anyone? Bueller?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
gatordev said:
Okay. I'm w/ Kbay on this...I guess I don't understand the distinction. That said, he's put in his package and a board looks at it. In it they see transcripts, a physical, and probably some other admin paperwork which may include a drug waiver that everyone has. Are they really going to go cross-check the medical w/ the waiver? I'm asking in a serious manner, and not trying to be difficult, as I don't know. But I have my suspensions they probably don't. Anyone? Bueller?

My point is just that being pro-rec'd doesn't equal being selected. There was a poll a while back about what happened after pro-rec and some people answered "non-select"

I've said this before, I don't ever remember getting a call saying I was pro-rec'd, but it sounds more like a status update from the recruiter saying "You're in good shape, but you're not in yet."

saltpeter

Tis, Tis, are you sure you didn't selectively forget in the beginning and then after discussing your situation decide to fess up.

Byrdman

Yeah go ahead and poke fun but I have been honest and I am not trying to hide anything. If you reread my first statement the reason it never crossed my mind was b/c I didn't think what I did was illegal. You can laugh, poke fun or whatever that is the truth and I told my recruiter about it and have disclosed it properly now. So if I was trying to hide something like that I just wouldn't mention it, but I am not trying to hide anything.

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
They don't look at your medical records or your PRT till after the Pro' Rec stage. I believe there is other info they don't look at till then either,m but it's been 2 years since I've done it.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pro rec is the professional reccomendation. You get this from the aviation shop/board. They are only looking at the basic application. The transcripts, LOR, employment references, application form, etc. The pro rec means the aviation communty says they want you to be part of the club. Then comes the PRT, MEPS physical and EPSQ (background check) . If all those players don't veto the pro rec THEN you are final select. We do get guys that are pro rec but a final non select. That is usually for physical, PRT, security or late arriving info from another source.

Byrdman, Glad your NRD CO check out the situation. I wouldn't think it would be a problem. You have done the right thing all along. Good luck.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
wink said:
Pro rec is the professional reccomendation. You get this from the aviation shop/board. They are only looking at the basic application. The transcripts, LOR, employment references, application form, etc. The pro rec means the aviation communty says they want you to be part of the club. Then comes the PRT, MEPS physical and EPSQ (background check) . If all those players don't veto the pro rec THEN you are final select. We do get guys that are pro rec but a final non select. That is usually for physical, PRT, security or late arriving info from another source.

Byrdman, Glad your NRD CO check out the situation. I wouldn't think it would be a problem. You have done the right thing all along. Good luck.

Yea, what he said. Thanks for being honest....it goes a long way.

AppleCello

Just curious, whats the wording on the dotted-line? Often times it goes something like "To the best of your knowledge, have you ever..."

If thats the case, and you are being honest about what you believed to be true, then you are probably OK there. I dont know the particulars of any of this, though...