• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TH-73

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Maybe this was buried in the thread somewhere, but..."Thrasher"? CNATRA a big skateboard guy or something? View attachment 37699
1677528987055.png

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
View attachment 37700

Well at least there's something of a resemblance. What other virtue it has, I don't know.

ChuckMK23

pilot
Well at least there's something of a resemblance. What other virtue it has, I don't know.
"The TH-73A Thrasher is named for the brown thrasher, a bird common to the skies over the Southeastern United States including Northwest Florida. The inconspicuous, yet territorial, bird is a fearless defender known for its low-level flying prowess."

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Flying IFR is much easier than VFR. But SPIFR can be challenging at times. Situational awareness is key. A four axis autopilot would have been much better considering it will take you all the way down to LPV minimums by just pushing a button.

I get that, but my point is the majority of HEMS helos that are flying SPIFR right now are -135 P2+s, and they have the same limited AP. It's really not that bad. And I say that having had to fly a Special Use down to mins with my finger about to press the Wave-Off button.

Also keep in mind, no matter how many axises, you still have to hand fly it on the checkrides. Yay!

At sea level and 20c 165-180 KP/H. It drives me nuts that this damn thing is metric and not imperial.

There should be a software option that you (Mx) can change.

KWpilot58

I get that, but my point is the majority of HEMS helos that are flying SPIFR right now are -135 P2+s, and they have the same limited AP. It's really not that bad. And I say that having had to fly a Special Use down to mins with my finger about to press the Wave-Off button.

Also keep in mind, no matter how many axises, you still have to hand fly it on the checkrides. Yay!

There should be a software option that you (Mx) can change.
Very true, we had a 135 years ago before I joined my company and from what I heard that it was power limited. Then again I flew 407s in the Army so I don’t think it could get much worse. We went to the BK117. And now to the 119. And after diving in the manuals I don’t think it’s the right aircraft for HEMS. A 145 would have been the best choice in my opinion. But it is what it is.

I’ve. Been VFR my whole career. Even though I hold an ATP and the knowledge is there. My confidence and proficiency level is not. So last spring I went out and got my PPL/INST fixed wing. But I paused my flying over the winter. Once it warms up again I’ll go back out and get my confidence back up.

Like anything else the more you do it, the easier it will become. Luckily our goal is to be SPIFR within the next three years. So every chance I get, I plan on flying IFR, working the systems flying the approaches really getting that deep knowledge in order to make great decisions and to keep my crew and myself safe.

I know that there’s a software update to change it from metric to imperial but, It’s just getting echelons above me to buy off on it.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Very true, we had a 135 years ago before I joined my company and from what I heard that it was power limited. Then again I flew 407s in the Army so I don’t think it could get much worse. We went to the BK117. And now to the 119. And after diving in the manuals I don’t think it’s the right aircraft for HEMS. A 145 would have been the best choice in my opinion. But it is what it is.

The earlier -135s seemed to have a lot more power issues. The P2+ is decent in the lowlands, but can quickly fall apart in high DA (or summers in FL). In the summer, we typically have 90 in the main and that gives us in excess of 350# patient weight. In the summer, I wouldn't want to go over 350, even if I have the room for it, as I probably won't clear the Florida pine trees at 90 gallons. We also have a very old engine which doesn't help. The other one is a brand new (refit) engine that was a welcome addition.

The P3s I think have more oomph, but I haven't flown one.

It seems like the 119 gets love out west in higher DA environments. Otherwise, I'm with you...it seems like it's not quite "the" answer.

FWIW, the 407s around us are beasts, and can lift more than us, although I think we have a little more room (girth) for the more rotund patients.

Like anything else the more you do it, the easier it will become. Luckily our goal is to be SPIFR within the next three years. So every chance I get, I plan on flying IFR, working the systems flying the approaches really getting that deep knowledge in order to make great decisions and to keep my crew and myself safe.

Good deal. I think you may also find that IFR isn't particularly helpful for portions of the year where you are because it's just too cold. It will be interesting to hear what you're seeing in the data.

I know that there’s a software update to change it from metric to imperial but, It’s just getting echelons above me to buy off on it.

For an Airbus, it's a setting you can do in the CAD/Display and it's just pushing a couple of buttons to get into the Mx mode to change it. I wouldn't be surprised if the Italians made it more complicated than that. You could probably call them...just not too early, as they had a late night. And don't call too late, as it's time for the afternoon siesta.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Off to the scrap yard. Not even the data plates are being sold. Here's 145, the TH-57B that I had an engine failure in 1994 enroute to OLF Pace.

View attachment 37874
Interesting. The Army sold theirs on the surplus market but the Navy is trashing theirs. Is that a decision made by DoN or DoD?

ChuckMK23

pilot
Interesting. The Army sold theirs on the surplus market but the Navy is trashing theirs. Is that a decision made by DoN or DoD?
Great question. I think the service gets to call it. About 10+ years ago a number of TH-57C's were transferred to Customs and Border Protection where they remain in service. (I have a GS colleague that flew them).

MGoBrew11

pilot
Couldn’t pay me to keep flying those things. As I heard them described recently: “whistling s&@$ cans of death”.

ChuckMK23

pilot
You would think they could make more money selling them to a prop house.
I think it's about the liability train. The TH-57 never received N numbers, and were never maintained to FAR standards, only to NAVAIR requirements.

Contrast to Army TH-67, which received N numbers, Airworthiness Certificates at factory and Army contractors maintained to FAA standards throughout service life.