• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Texas Man Cleared in Shootings

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I don't know, gentlemen. I don't see how Mr Horn should have been convicted in this case. If you are a texas gun owner, and know the law, the law was behind him in this case. I heard the 911 call, and he repeatedly said something along the lines of "I REALLY don't want to shoot these guys, but I'll be damned if I'm just going to sit here and let them steal my neighbor's shit!"

The castle doctrine in Texas DOES allow you to protect household goods from thieves by using your gun and, if necessary, deadly force. This is ESPECIALLY true at night, specifically. It also states that neighbors can ask one another to protect each other's home and, in doing so, you can treat your neighbor's house AS IF IT IS YOUR OWN WRT the castle doctrine.

I remember specifically in my CHL class, the instructor telling us "Ya, you can shoot someone who is running away with your VCR at night and probably get away with it here, but do you want to risk going to the Grand Jury before you're cleared?"

Take that for what it's worth

So where in the above logic was Mr Horn breaking the law?

Not to mention these two were illegals etc etc etc.

chupacabra

pilot
Contributor
I don't know, gentlemen. I don't see how Mr Horn should have been convicted in this case. If you are a texas gun owner, and know the law, the law was behind him in this case. I heard the 911 call, and he repeatedly said something along the lines of "I REALLY don't want to shoot these guys, but I'll be damned if I'm just going to sit here and let them steal my neighbor's shit!"

The castle doctrine in Texas DOES allow you to protect household goods from thieves by using your gun and, if necessary, deadly force. This is ESPECIALLY true at night, specifically. It also states that neighbors can ask one another to protect each other's home and, in doing so, you can treat your neighbor's house AS IF IT IS YOUR OWN WRT the castle doctrine.

I remember specifically in my CHL class, the instructor telling us "Ya, you can shoot someone who is running away with your VCR at night and probably get away with it here, but do you want to risk going to the Grand Jury before you're cleared?"

Take that for what it's worth

So where in the above logic was Mr Horn breaking the law?

Not to mention these two were illegals etc etc etc.

According to Texas law, deadly force is legal to protect a third person's (Mr. Horn's neighbors) property only if the neighbor has requested protection, the shooter has a legal duty to protect it, or if the shooter is related to the neighbor.

Mr. Horn told the 911 dispatcher he didn't really know the neighbors, so that rules out them requesting his protection of their property.

Morally, I'm with Mr. Horn 100%. Legally, I can see how it could have gone the other way for him.