• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tests before applying

Status
Not open for further replies.

PU Grad

MAC flight user
pilot
I was wondering what kind of tests are taken before applying to become an officer. I have heard about the MEPS physical and both the ASVAB and the ASTB. Do you take both the ASVAB and the ASTB?

I am currently looking into Aviation or subs. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Kobyra

dividebyzero

Hmmm, I'm kinda curious myself for those going the OCS route...
I dont *think* officers have to take the ASVAB, but I could be wrong. If you're wanting to go pilot/nfo, then you'll obviously have to take the ASTB.

jasand

Kobyra,

If you are applying for an officer position you will not have to take the ASVAB. I'm pretty sure that everyone has to take the ASTB, but if you want SNA or SNFO you have to take it. My experience was that every applicant takes the ASTB. It gived the recruiter a good idea of what your options are.

-Jason

toneytigre

what if your not going in to avaiation, do you still have to take the astb?

im getting mixed info on which tests im suppose to take in this forum.

is it non-avaition takes asvab and avaition takes astb?

someone clear this up for me so i know which test to study for please. thanx.

austinfalnes

ALL Officer applicants take the ASTB. Different designators require different sections. Aviation Candidates take the whole damn thing. Intel takes math/verbal, mechanical comp, and spatial apperception. All others just take math/verbal and mechanical comp.

The 5 parts are.

Math/verbal
Mechanical Comp
Spatioal Apperception
Aviation/Nautical Info
Biographical Info.

Each test's score is calcualted together in a bunch of ways to produce 6 different ratings. If you are going for pilot, or NFO.. you need to take all of them. Check this site for the review, I hear it's good. There's also a book published by ARCO called "Officer Candidate Tests" that is only decent for test-specific questions, but has good questions to refresh your skills if they are rusty.

bart27

I thought anyone wishing to be an officer had to take the ASTB...maybe I just pulled this out of my a*#. I do know that those wishing to go SNA or NFO must score well in all areas of the ASTB. Its quite competitive now. Check w/ your local recruiter. Just my .02.

Meridiani

Originally posted by austinfalnes
ALL Officer applicants take the ASTB.

NUPOC and CEC applicants are not required to take the ASTB. They have officer interviews instead. Just FYI.

spongebob

It is my understanding that all officers have to take the ASTB. Some portions will not matter as much if you are not applying for a pilot slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.