• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TERROR IN THE SKIES: Man tries to blow up NWA/Delta plane arriving Detroit

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
This type of thing pisses me off. Its like with the shoe bomber. If there had never been a shoe bomber we wouldn't ever have had to start taking our shoes off.

I hate people like this. They not only scare people on the aircraft and cause a media ruckus, they make life harder on the air traveller afterwards. Stupid.

That's exactly why I am frustrated to the point where I'd rather risk a bomb getting on the plane than have to wait 4 hours in a security line whilst taking my clothes off, and doing a jig. TSA is security theater anyway. Studies (a bullshit "reference") have shown the privatized security pre-911 was like 3 times more effective than TSA.

rrpilot

This type of thing pisses me off. Its like with the shoe bomber. If there had never been a shoe bomber we wouldn't ever have had to start taking our shoes off.

All I can say is that I'm very grateful Richard Reid wasn't known as the 'Underwear Bomber'....:shake_125

beaverslayer

pilot
All I can say is that I'm very grateful Richard Reid wasn't known as the 'Underwear Bomber'....:shake_125

Haha good point, although it's probably only a matter of time before somebody tries to pull something like that... and then we're all screwed.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
That pre-screening list is starting to look a whole lot more appealing. Of course, showing a military ID with your boarding pass at security should go a lot further than it currently does IMO. The TWIC issued to TSA employees and the DoD CAC are both a product of NSPD-12, it shouldn't be much of a stretch to establish that we're both on the same team (yeah, I know Maj. Hasan takes a little wind out of those sails.)

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Whilst?

At least you'll be speaking the Queen's English while (excuse me: WHILST) chauffeuring around the VIPs, Jeeves.

Yes. It was an obnoxious, elitist PURPOSELY chosen statement. Because it's amusing to talk about being naked and dancing a jig whilst using polite language such as "whilst".

navy09

None
That pre-screening list is starting to look a whole lot more appealing. Of course, showing a military ID with your boarding pass at security should go a lot further than it currently does IMO. The TWIC issued to TSA employees and the DoD CAC are both a product of NSPD-12, it shouldn't be much of a stretch to establish that we're both on the same team (yeah, I know Maj. Hasan takes a little wind out of those sails.)

It's interesting that you even admit how foolish your argument is. Who cares that our ID cards look similar??

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
From the "and yet another reaction to a previous bureaucratic over reaction .... " dept:

Link: [FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]In-flight security rules eased[/FONT]

From the article:
"At the CAPT's discretion" ... I LOVE how 'they' (industry & gov't) are willing to allow and/or openly consider 'CAPT's discretion' when someone needs to be responsible and/or be the fall-guy ... :) I wonder if Secretary Napolitano thinks THIS was a 'terror' event ??? It certainly wasn't a 'man-made disaster' ... was it ???

The knee-jerk reactive hour-long 'seat-pan-ban' prior to landing was one of the dumbest things to come along for quite a while ... what if the guy decided to 'go boom' @ hour '5' on a 10-hour TransPac ... ???

The wannabe-bomber ... a 'bomb' in his underwear ??? THIS 'guy' had the original 'crotch rocket', it would appear ...

FlyinRock

Security Probes?

There have been a number of incidents of late when "terrorists" tried to detonate a device on commerical carriers in the past weeks. There was an incident when some people dressed in arab type clothing, i.e., robes, headress, etc, were disrupting a flight and even after the DHS clowns got done, let them back on the airplane. Damn, can we call this profiling?
The most recent events with Nigerian nationals with "bombs" and avowed Al Quaida (sp) ties only make me wonder if the probes are prelude to something spectacular? Profiling?
I'll have to say, with my recent foreign travels, most airport security is a joke. It is armed with incompetent people and full of holes.
We are under attack and those in aviation are news at 9. There is a much greater danger coming from under our bellies and no one is addressing it. I suspect it will take a suicide bomber here in the USA to really get peoples attention and more than one or two before they really get the idea we are under attack in a most insidious manner.
How about Ft hood?
Semper Fi
Rocky

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
I just flew United from BKK-NRT and they turned off the in-flight entertainment system (and I was in Biz class too! With a 19" screen!) for "security reasons". At first I thought this was some cop out excuse because the system was actually broken. However, as it turned out United enacted this policy in response to the attempted "terror" attack, apparently because a potential bad guy could monitor the plane's location on the in-flight GPS map deal that's displayed. Never mind he could also just TIME the flight and get a fair estimation as to the plane's position along a great circle route...

I swear, ever time some yahoo lights his shoe or pants on fire, we spend millions of dollars and waste millions of people's hours in unnecessary and pointless, knee-jerk, feel good, BS security measures that accomplish nothing. Yeah, the CrotchRocket Man didn't bring down the plane or hurt anyone else, but he never the less accomplished Al Qaeda's goal of enormously disrupting our lives. Who is the real enemy here? A bunch of lunatics who haven't had a solid plan in years, or our own fear?

HueyCobra8151

pilot
That's exactly why I am frustrated to the point where I'd rather risk a bomb getting on the plane than have to wait 4 hours in a security line whilst taking my clothes off, and doing a jig. TSA is security theater anyway. Studies (a bullshit "reference") have shown the privatized security pre-911 was like 3 times more effective than TSA.

That is my biggest complaint about the TSA - it is the illusion of security. I wouldn't mind waiting for 4 hours in security if when I got to the front of the line they were doing meaningful things to provide actual security. Instead they are looking vacantly off into space and shuffling everyone through the motions with tired stop-gap "preventative measures" that are so ridiculous that even they can't take them seriously.

When I flew out of Singapore they literally took everything out of my suitcase and went through it all. Pretty irritating at the time, but if I am going to wait in line, at least I am getting the benefit of actual security measures.

In Turkey I got the whole metal detector/pat-down/wand-down business prior to even entering the airport property. That's a place where they deal with terrorism all the time, so it made sense.

Coming of embassy duty when I was pretty security conscious I mentioned a minor hole in their procedures to a TSA worker as I went through the metal detector and he looked at me like I had a dick growing out of my forehead. (Now that same issue is resolved by their ridiculous liquid rules).

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Who cares that our ID cards look similar??

I do, because I have some actual experience in the real world dealing with the various security systems that utilize the DoD CAC card, which, more than just looking similar, uses the same technology as the TWIC issued to TSA. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch (though there'd be a price tag) to use a smart card scanner (like Mobilisa) to allow pre-screened individuals (US Govt employees) to bypass full-on security measures.

My comment about MAJ Hasan, was more of a social commentary on the sad state of the world these days where wearing the uniform and serving the country can no longer be seen as a guarantee of where one's loyalties lie.

BOMBSonHAWKEYES

pilot
1. Guy highlights my flight number and departure time on my ticket.

2. Guy shines a flashlight at my ID.

3. Take shoes off.

4. Lady tells me to walk through metal dector.

5. Get shoes back.

Now I'm safe from all the bad men!