• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tell me it aint true... a two-ship formation Euro Fighter tops 8 F-15

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Always funny to see such boasts out of just an exercise. What was the ROE? What was the scenario? So many questions and so few real answers on the internets.

jtmedli

pilot
Not to call BS or anything...but this is from the Eurofighter website and any article that ends with "trump that" has gotta be less than reputable.

Also, F-15 first flight (1972-ish) and Eurofighter first flight (early-mid 90s). If they're just now designing an a/c that beat the Eagle then I'd say they're a little behind the curve.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
It's like that picture of the T-38 HUD with the Raptor sighted in for the guns kill.

The scenarios behind the cute story tell way more than the hype. . .

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Has the USAF tested a Block 60 F-16 w/ an AESA radar against the F-15, Typhoon & Eastern Block fighters? I notice that our AF is refusing to buy more F-16s, but you'd think they at least would have the brains to maximize what they've already got.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeh, pretty sure that was an 18 of some kind killing the 22.

F/A-18F (former Tomcat driver with pipper on, in range and hammer down) vs Raptor. Trump that....

image_8.png

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Not to call BS or anything........F-15 first flight (1972-ish) and Eurofighter first flight (early-mid 90s). If they're just now designing an a/c that beat ... 'them' (i.e., or a 20+ year old used up bird) .... then I'd say they're a little behind the curve.
Now THAT's what I used to say, too ... :)

"(B)eagle" (sic) drivers from Air Force FWS @ Red Flag used to TRY to call 18 mile look-down "kills" on a maneuvering A-4 (us -- the NAS Dallas "Rangers") against max+ ground clutter --- there just ain't no way, not back "in the day". And they ALWAYS got "disallowed" by the judges.

The (B)eagles (sic) never quite lived up to their billing in ACM/DCM out of Nellis/Tyndall -- make no mistake, they were good -- just not as "good" as they thought they were. And absent a GCI assist to support them (mebbe AWACS today?), we frequently humbled 'em. If we broke the ROE and actually acted like the "bad guys", we frequently hammered 'em. All the while humming somethin' to the tune of: " Old airframes, older bodies, keen eyes and better tactics "??

Make no mistake: one of their biggest problems WAS a lack of what I'd call 'sound tactics' ... not a lack of stick & throttle skills nor a good mount to ride ... but it's hard to 'win' when you come in 4-abreast, heads in the scope, and think you're going to fill the sky w/missiles -- thus killing everyone. Everyone doesn't play by the same rules ...

When we would beat an AF FWS jock soundly, i.e. 'gunned one of 'em' ... a hardcore 'in the saddle guns-kill' --- they were pre-directed by their CO to come back into Nellis, single plane, straight-in, with their "hook" down .... as in "dragging your tail behind you ...." :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:
:grumpy_12 ... the 'guilty party' never heard the end of it at the O'Club ... or so I'm told.

spec_a4_small.jpg

When (B)eagle drivers looked over their shoulders and saw this ... the next thing they heard on tactical was: "GUNS KILL" ..... "I'm COMIN' OFF ON YOUR RIGHT SIDE" ... :eek:

Trump that ...

In the link in the original post, I suspect -- considering the source -- that the deck was stacked against the F-15's from the get-go ???

"
Major Juan Balesta, the 41-year old Commander of the 111 Squadron ... stressed ... the F-15s enjoyed full control of the engagement..."

"Full Control" can mean a lot of things to a lot of people. I obviously wasn't there, but somehow, 'Comandante-Major Juan', having trained some muy machismooooo-latinos ... I have doubts. :eek:

Treetop Flyer

pilot
A4's is that picture of the A4 from the painting "Triple Threat"? Not positive on the name, but it's three Marine A4's coming out of clouds.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Of course, USAF can use this like Cope India results to state case for more F-22s so makes one wonder how hard they really tried to prevail?

Clux4

Banned
Has the USAF tested a Block 60 F-16 w/ an AESA radar against the F-15, Typhoon & Eastern Block fighters? I notice that our AF is refusing to buy more F-16s, but you'd think they at least would have the brains to maximize what they've already got.

Are they not all heading for the bone yard soon?