• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Technical major?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gomer157

I am considering applying for an SNA slot in BDCP but I am only 18 and getting ready to enter my freshman year at college. I'm also thinking about the Marines. I'm wondering if it's important to get a technical major or if it doesn't really matter.

NuSnake

History Major here and I got in...so....haha, I dont think it matters, just make sure youve got good gradesand do well on the ASTB

If a frog had wings he wouldnt bump his ass all the time

thepilot33

I would go with a technical major if you can cut it. That is my biggest regret, and I will actually being going back to school as soon as possible to get another B.S degree; this time a technical one though! A technical degree does actually carry more weight in the board’s eyes and will open more doors for you in the long run. With out a technical degree you cannot join NASA’s Astronaut program (which I intend to do) and it will make it more difficult for you to become a test pilot for any branch of the military. My suggestion, GET A TECHNICAL DEGRRE!

Dave Shutter

True, a technical degree is "not required" but it is "preferred". While I believe one should study whatever they please in college, if Pilot is your ultimate goal, you would benefit largely from a tech degree. That said other degrees that are also regarded highly for selection are in business and/or management. Remember, they're not just looking for good pilot material but good Officer material as well. A business major with, say...a CS minor can be just as competetive as a straight tech major depending on the overall quality of your app. Since you're looking four year down the road, and have no idea of how tight selections will be, make yourself as competetive as possible..and do a lot of sports in college. Good luck!

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you're interested in something technical then go for it. I would not try to get a technical degree just to boost your application though, study something you're interested in. I've made the first cut in the application process for SNA with a degree in Finance. If you're interested in what you study then you will make better grades, and better grades will make your application look better.

If you want a technical degree though, you can get into BDCP a year earlier than the rest of us.

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
On a side note, for BDCP, if you have a technical degree, you can ream in the benefits of BDCP for 3 years. If you don't have a tech. degree, then I believe you can only do it for 2 years (correct me if I am wrong). Major something you are interested in.

D

RobNLa

Gomer,

Even though you are not required to have a technical major, it will be more beneficial for you to have a strong technical background. This will help you perform better on the ATSB. The most important thing is to do something that you enjoy. That way if avaiation doesn't work out you still can do something that you like. If you love music, history, or social sciences go for it, but make sure to keep your gpa as high as possible. Become very involved in sports and other activities as well. Apply as soon as possible to get the most you can out of BDCP. Just my opinion. Good Luck!

Gomer157

Thanks for all the advice. It's very helpful. I have one more question with regards to ROTC. My college has an army and airforce ROTC program. I'm going to the marines or navy, but would it be beneficial in terms of getting into PLC or BDCP if I did army or airforce ROTC for two years and got out before I was obligated to serve? And if so, would airforce be better? I know this topic has been covered in other forums, but I wanted some more opinions. Thanks.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I believe in majoring in what you like. It doesn't take a technical degree to fly or pass the entrance exam. There are all types in aviation, from engineers to theatrical majors. However, like pilot33 said, if you want something like test pilot school, it helps to have a technical degree. Good luck.

VAW-120 FRS Flight Instructor

Status
Not open for further replies.