• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TBS vs Flight School

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lt_SNA_USMC

Can someone compare for me the atmosphere at flight school vs TBS. Are the pace and the schedule similar? I here the schedule is lax and the hours are a whole lot better. Is this true? What's a day like?

splendid_splinter

HMLA flyer
at api.. for the first four weeks your mornings are full of swim. you shower, change clothes and go to class. get lunch and have more class. sometimes your days end around 2, some days around 5. overall the academics seem a little overwhelming at first. some people obviously will have to study a little more than others.. but once you get your mind wrapped around the material, it's not too bad at all.. last two weeks, mornings are later and days end earlier with the survival classes, dunkers (which are easy even for nonswimmers), and parachute training..

in primary, i spend about four to maybe five total hours at the squadron on a fly day.. some days you'll be scheduled on standby hanging out in the ready room in case someone else cancels. other days you'll be waiting around on the weather. typically spend an hour or two before each flight studying procedures and discussion items at home. sims take about two hours out of your day.. the rest of your time yours.. duty is different for every squadron, but it's no big deal.

overall, you should enjoy flight school much more than tbs...

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
what's the parachute training like?

"Push the stick foward, the houses get bigger; pull back, the houses get smaller... unless you keep pulling back, then they get bigger again."

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
You do some classes, then get to do a virtual reality trainer that is pretty corny. You'll do a bunch of PLF's (parachute landing fall) from different heights 2- 4 feet. You're classmates will drag you back and forth on the ground while you practice getting out of the harness. You'll get drug in the water while attached to riggings and get to learn how to shrug out of the harness there too. Then, the best of all, 2 parasails out in an Alabama pasture -- the first one they drag you up into the air (using a Pickup truck) and then let you come back down....the second time they drag you up, unhook you and you come down on your own. Lot's of fun! Good day to throw the football, enjoy the company of your classmates and get to do a pretty cool extracurricular too.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Do they still take you parasailing in P-cola Bay, or has that been replaced by the p/u truck?

Phrogs phorever

Lt_SNA_USMC

sounds awesome--and the ". . . you should enjoy flight school much more than TBS. . ." statement makes me glad. Very glad thanks a lot for the gouge.

Rainman

pilot
that's an understatment.

During some bad weather times I went a week going to work maybe once. Really allows you to get ahead and get your life in order. Can you imagine that @ TBS?

It's definitely a more open schedule. . and it's left up to you what you do with all that freedom/time.

Lt_SNA_USMC

That's definately cool. That's what I was hopeing. We are in the thick of TBS right now--7 weeks from the war. I got to thinking the other day, "Can I do this for like 1-2 years more?" I don't mean to sound like a sissy, but I work like between 60 and 100 hours per week. I always have trash to do over weekends and 96s. I am glad to hear that things slow down a bit at flight school so I can concentrate of aviation.

Rainman

pilot
The long hours and long weeks and long years (from what I'm told) don't really taper too much. Sure there's some easy times (like weather issue posted above). .but believe me the 110% effort for years on end (read == flight school) really begins to whittle away at people. They lose sight of their goals and go and do other things with their lives.

So, I'm just thinking you should be prepared for a lower workload in TBS; but at the same time many periods (like starting in a new a/c [ME]) with weeks or even months of 60-100 hour weeks. (thank god for 'CREW DAY' concept).

So you've got long days and you work your ass off for like 3 years (jet guys) before getting to fleet aircraft . .but at least your days are structured like @ TBS and you'll love what you do and the rewards. .. .well priceless.

Status
Not open for further replies.