• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TBS prep

livefast

I'll be reporting to TBS in about 7 months, and I'm wanting to start studying now. Any advice on where to start, or tips on habits to get into now, would be appreciated.

TheFurr7198

Put down the publications besides knowing the 5 paragraph order backwards and forwards and do combat conditioning. The academics are not that hard. If you have a weighted vest run with that if you dont buy one because you will do so many things with that god awful flak vest. You should be running 50/50 in your boots because at TBS I ran in go fasters 3 times and it was for 3 pft's. Anything you can do to add weight to a run and look up the new combat fitness test if that is the correct name. And by know the five paragraph order I mean know it because it will make your life easier. Then step back, take a knee, and punch yourself in the face..............welcome to the Marine Corps

Nafod

Change I can belive in
I'll be reporting to TBS in about 7 months, and I'm wanting to start studying now. Any advice on where to start, or tips on habits to get into now, would be appreciated.

dude, dont study now. you will barely have to study *in* TBS as it is.

i suppose doing some boots and uts pt would be pretty good, but unless you find this particularly difficult i wouldnt sweat it too much man.

a good habit to get into would be to start acting like you have a rod shoved up your ass, since i think the SPCs like to see that kind of motivation. :confused:

and dont say 'dude' or 'man' too loudly, dude. :icon_wink

just take it as it comes and try to stay motivated when you get there.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
I would start conditioning your lip for the mass amounts of dip that are required...

I continue to keep mine in tip-top shape ...

MettGT

pilot
a good habit to get into would be to start acting like you have a rod shoved up your ass, since i think the SPCs like to see that kind of motivation. :confused:

Totally staff dependent. My company staff was fairly easy going so as long as you weren't a complete idiot.

As for studying - you'll have more than enough time to study when you're waiting for the word.

livefast

By the way, does anyone know the name of those blue insoles they issue at OCS? I've been wanting to pick up a pair because I loved them, but can't remember who makes them.

flyerstud4

haha TBS is a total "jock" school. I suspect we will see you on here in 6 months asking what to study for API. Bottom line is chill out, enjoy being a nasty civie for a couple more weeks and turn it on when you get there. I second the PT efforts in boots, but thats about it. If you go around telling guys that you hit the books before you got to TBS, you will lose serious cool points:icon_wink

2Blades

"Chester" 4 blades transition
pilot
Don't study, because by the time you get there some of the curriculum will change. I was Delta Co. and some stuff was different for Charlie before me and Echo after...
With 7 months before you go to TBS, drink some beer and enjoy college life one last time!

Clux4

Banned
By the way, does anyone know the name of those blue insoles they issue at OCS? I've been wanting to pick up a pair because I loved them, but can't remember who makes them.

They were OK and TBS medical has them.They will give you 2 if you ask them. Personally, I will say go out to a running store and buy a solid pair. You will be in your boots for most of the time at TBS and those things do not last that long. Investing some money in a good pair will pay off.

The PX on Mainside Quantico actually has a pair of insoles that you have heat up and they are suppose to form to your feet. Check it out

Semper Jump Jet

Ninja smoke...POOF.
pilot
Get your hair cut. I mean REALLY short. Try to fit 'ooh-rah' or 'motivating' in every sentence. Practice staying awake for long periods of time while sitting in one place. Try to get your classmates to go for a group pee after pounding water with you and taking long walks in the woods. Constantly adjust your gig line on your belt and khaki-trouser combination. Stick around after class/work for a few extra hours each day, then have your prof/boss call you back soon after you've left. Think of new witty replacements for what 'TBS' stands for. Go out for dinner with two dozen of your closest friends and talk about nothing but work. Criticize the gig lines on their belt and khaki-trouser combinations. Cruise the bars with 10-plus dudes who have the same haircut as you and wonder why chicks don't seem to want to talk. Prepare yourself to NOT call the first 2ndLt you see 'Sir'.

Master these things and you will do well... :D

Ave8tor

Bringing the Noise!™
pilot
Get your hair cut. I mean REALLY short. Try to fit 'ooh-rah' or 'motivating' in every sentence. Practice staying awake for long periods of time while sitting in one place. Try to get your classmates to go for a group pee after pounding water with you and taking long walks in the woods. Constantly adjust your gig line on your belt and khaki-trouser combination. Stick around after class/work for a few extra hours each day, then have your prof/boss call you back soon after you've left. Think of new witty replacements for what 'TBS' stands for. Go out for dinner with two dozen of your closest friends and talk about nothing but work. Criticize the gig lines on their belt and khaki-trouser combinations. Cruise the bars with 10-plus dudes who have the same haircut as you and wonder why chicks don't seem to want to talk. Prepare yourself to NOT call the first 2ndLt you see 'Sir'.

How could you forget the most important aspect? Think of the most logical way of doing things, and throw it out the window. Sure, you could get from point A to point B by marching there directly, but why not take a detour to Points C, D and while we are at it, Z! Since they are going to be make sure you get comfortable being uncomfortable, make sure you are training in the freezing snow, or the blistering sun. Or better yet, if going to a summer class, head to your local gym with some sandbags, and self-haze yourself in the sauna. Make sure you do Burpies (if you don't know what these are, you're in for a treat) until you become mildly heat exhausted, and then go on a 4 mile boot and ute run. Don't forget to go to a park or other wooded area with a million little bugs and get use to them buzzing in your ear and walking across your forehead. Sleep is overrated and start conditioning yourself to get only 4 hours a night, since you'll come to thank the dreaded 5 paragraph order for this. And always ensure your cammie paint is fresly applied, after all, its continuous!

Best of luck!:D
(For more information, be sure to check out "Alone and Unafraid" on YouTube)

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
In all honesty, TBS is pretty easy. The best thing you can do is learn to cope with being frustrated nearly all the time.

pghdvldog

pilot
best advice

i know everyone says don't study, but all of the pubs are on the tbs website. get yourself in shape. maxing the pft/double o/e course will set you up for success... give him one!

p.s. don't be a figmac... represent

UORBulldog

If you need help finding points C,D,E or Z on the way from A to B, there's big maps posted in all the hallways of the barracks.

flyerstud4

haha along with Ave8tor's paragraph, that pretty much explains TBS. One last bit of advice, make sure everyone knows your an air contract and get a low-reg.:D