• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TBS Parking Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMILE4BULLETS

Ok, so here's my situation. I have a '97 Ford F-250HD 7.3L 4x4 and all that good jazz...but, the kicker is that it only has a regular cab. So, I've been thinking about putting a truck topper on it so I can stow non-essential gear such as extra clothes, etc in the back--since there is minimal room in the cab (and even less room for that stuff in the rooms). I already know that student parking at TBS is in high demand these days, but neglecting that issue, do cars get broken into with any regularity around those parts? Is there security? I guess what I'm saying is would it be worth it to spend a sizeable amount of money, then run the risk of someone just snaking all my gear? Also, would it help later on down the road for DITY moves and such or is it just better to let Uncle Sam move your stuff? I'm up for suggestions...

oh yeah, and feel free to rag on me for the truck description, i know it was excessive--but, gotta have that mental pic for the full effect (read: a thief would target my truck)

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Short answer - No there isn't a huge problem with theft on base

Long answer - (read at your own risk) theft is always possible so don't put anything in there you aren't willing to replace. With that said DITY moves are a great way to make a little extra cash and it would be very helpful to have more room to carry more stuff. Now the question is while theft on base isn't a huge problem out and around po-dunk towns it is a huge problem so it might be worth while spending the money for a good quality locking cover.

MasterBates

Not to mention, with that truck you can easily haul the biggest UHaul trailer they make (I have a 99 F250 with w 7.3).

Pack your heavy dense stuff, and let the movers take the big bulky stuff.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Ever think of putting the stuff in a storage unit while you are at TBS? that way you can park your truck on or off base without the fear of stuff getting stolen? Might be worth it...

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
I've learned twice the hard way out here in San Diego to never leave anything of value in your car (2 sets of golf clubs, gas mask?!!?, cd player, jacket).

Here's a DITY move horror story:
New copilot in our squadron DITY's out here from the RAG. He went to eat at an Applebee's and came out and his SUV and the U-Haul trailer with all of his sh*t was GONE... Never to be seen again. Needless to say it's been a pain in the arse to get all of his records replicated (logbook, APR, NATOPS, Med/Dental records)

jfulginiti

pilot
None
What the hell are you bringing to TBS that won't fit in your room? Unless you're married, pack light man.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Alot of people around here drive nice cars. Yours would probably not be the first on the list of break-ins. I haven't heard of anyone having anything stolen from their vehicles while parked on the parade deck.

However, I wouldn't want to be the first.

And to think, a base full of Marines and no theft problem...maybe it's only Navy bikes we steal.;)

SMILE4BULLETS

That's what closets in the Q are for.

ok, I think you're missing the point here. I have to drive approximately 1000 miles to get up to Quantico...in a regular cab truck. There's not enough room, even for the small amount of gear that I'm bringing, in the cab...unless I want to throw it in the truckbed. But then - rainstorms, theft, etc...but thanks for your input

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
ok, I think you're missing the point here. I have to drive approximately 1000 miles to get up to Quantico...in a regular cab truck. There's not enough room, even for the small amount of gear that I'm bringing, in the cab...unless I want to throw it in the truckbed. But then - rainstorms, theft, etc...but thanks for your input

Your car sucks. Why don't you buy something functional like a Scion or a Yaris?

SMILE4BULLETS

Your car sucks. Why don't you buy something functional like a Scion or a Yaris?

well, for starters I've never seen too many boats or trailers pulled with a Scion or Yaris. also, it's what I've got and im driving it until the wheels fall off. besides, those vehicles are for EMO's or whatever the hell they call themselves.

Lawman

None
Seriously if its that big a worry to you about theft, get a hard top bed lid that locks. It'll provide you the security you want and they are easy enough to remove at home with you a wrench and a couple friends that if you need to haul large bulk items you can. Plus they sell a lot easier then a regular truck cap cover and are much easier to find a place for when not in use because you can set them on their side.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

Im confused, is your question how secure will my stuff be at TBS or is it how secure will my stuff be on the road? These are two very different questions, on the road move anything of value into your hotel room every night. At TBS most of your stuff will fit in your room and therefore be secure, stuff left locked in your truck will be secure but sometimes sh!t happens, there is no gate at Camp Barrett.

Status
Not open for further replies.