• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Taxi Trouble at Detroit Metro...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripp

You think you hate it now...
I've always wondered if this had ever happened...
quote:Taxi Trouble at Metro
25 January 2001
Aero-News.net

On Monday morning during rush hour, a US Airways 737 landed on a taxiway instead of Rwy 21 Center. For some lucky reason, the taxiway was clear, and no one was hurt; but at Detroit Metro, one of the world's top 25-busiest airports, that in itself is a miracle.

FAA Spokesman Tony Molinaro was identified in the Detroit Free Press as having said, "Flight 1164 from Philadelphia, a Boeing 737 with 91 people aboard, approached Detroit Metro around 8:30 a.m. Monday. Air traffic controllers advised the pilot to land on runway 21 Center, one of three runways running roughly northeast-southwest at the airport. The pilot acknowledged and accepted the instructions and was using a visual approach. But the pilot actually lined up to land on runway 21 Left, and touched down on Taxiway Whiskey, which is parallel to that runway."

"We were all very, very lucky," said Barb Hogan, a Detroit Metro spokeswoman.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I don't know how many times instructors (during RI stage in Advanced) tried to trick me into taking the wrong runway. One of the airports down in south texas (Harlingen) has parallel runways, and you always heard of some poor SOB SNA that lined up on 17L instead of 17R, doh. Usually at that point the instructor either makes you waveoff, or cuts you out of comms on the god box and calls the tower to ask to take 17L (hey, the tower sees it so often, they know whats happening), and the luckless student takes it all the way in, lands the plane, does the touch and go thing, and on climbout the instructor takes a big chunk of A$$. And yes, that is one of the immediate downing criteria....

On to other news, talked to Matt Stevenson last night, he did his first round (4 I believe) at the carrier yesterday. He sounded pretty excited about it all, he should finish up today, and we are going to meet up later today. Take a look at the T45, and show off the "mighty" P3 to my jet carrier qualed brethren.

His laptop is not connecting to the internet down here, so you guys are going to have to wait till he gets back for his next post.

ASUPilot

John,

I realize you're not Matt, but once you meet up with him make sure to tell him how proud everyone is of him. And, if it's not too much trouble, provide us with some initial feedback about his experience with the boat. Thanks.

Hayden

Status
Not open for further replies.