• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tattoo questions

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
1. I really don't recommend passing on pictures of your gf, wife, whatever via the internet or not. You are setting yourself up for bad things. It is the internet equivalent of the Boot Camp/OCS "spank board," which I don't think is done anywhere anymore, but isn't a thing you want your sig other on.

2. This will completely sound very classist, but whatever. Officers don't have visible tattoos, and their wives/girlfriends don't have tattoos that are visible in evening wear. Someone will post,"Na-uh! ___'s wife had a frickin' sleeve and he had a neck tattoo!" Yeah, and ___ was a 20-year LDO or something. The culture of commissioned officers is different than the population as a whole, or even the military as a whole. You sound as if you and your gf are into the tattoo "scene." I know you said that yours aren't visible, but hers are, and this will make you stand out, and not in a good way. I'm not saying you have to dump your true love or whatever, but you are going to have a significant cultural adjustment here.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
1. I really don't recommend passing on pictures of your gf, wife, whatever via the internet or not. You are setting yourself up for bad things. It is the internet equivalent of the Boot Camp/OCS "spank board," which I don't think is done anywhere anymore, but isn't a thing you want your sig other on.

2. This will completely sound very classist, but whatever. Officers don't have visible tattoos, and their wives/girlfriends don't have tattoos that are visible in evening wear. Someone will post,"Na-uh! ___'s wife had a frickin' sleeve and he had a neck tattoo!" Yeah, and ___ was a 20-year LDO or something. The culture of commissioned officers is different than the population as a whole, or even the military as a whole. You sound as if you and your gf are into the tattoo "scene." I know you said that yours aren't visible, but hers are, and this will make you stand out, and not in a good way. I'm not saying you have to dump your true love or whatever, but you are going to have a significant cultural adjustment here.

As cool as I think it would be to have sleeves like Mike Ness, (not really, not anymore anyways)....just don't do it. Concur with everything Phrog has to say.

Thunderkiss

ENS - SNFO
phrogdriver 1. I really don't recommend passing on pictures of your gf, wife, whatever via the internet or not. You are setting yourself up for bad things. It is the internet equivalent of the Boot Camp/OCS "spank board," which I don't think is done anywhere anymore, but isn't a thing you want your sig other on.

Nah the studio page is open to the public becuase it is for work / clients. Anyone who has half a wit could find it via the search function. Besides I have nothing to hide, and I am proud of her and the work she does. It takes alot of artistic skill. Although there may be a few pictures of her hands / arms in the gallery it is mostly of her doing work on other poeple. If anyone looks down on me for who I choose to be with whether I stay with her or am with someone else then I really don't care for their friendship. I am a good person and I treat poeple fairly without prejudice. I expect the same from others if they want to be in my good graces. Besides we are good poeple, everyone loves us!

Thunder

phrogpilot73

If anyone looks down on me for who I choose to be with whether I stay with her or am with someone else then I really don't care for their friendship. I am a good person and I treat poeple fairly without prejudice. I expect the same from others if they want to be in my good graces. Besides we are good poeple, everyone loves us!
phrogdriver is not saying this to be friends with you. He's trying to prepare you for the REALITY of the fleet. Tattoos and Officers/Officers wives are generally mutually exclusive.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.....2. This will completely sound very classist, but whatever. Officers don't have visible tattoos, and their wives/girlfriends don't have tattoos that are visible in evening wear. .....The culture of commissioned officers is different than the population as a whole, or even the military as a whole. You sound as if you and your gf are into the tattoo "scene." .....this will make you stand out, and not in a good way.....you are going to have a significant cultural adjustment here.

This is some of the best, elitist, "caste system" advice (seriously) on the USN and it's Officer corps "system" I've seen in a long time. It doesn't matter what you or I think -- it's just the way it is ... the USN Officer corps and the Marines (to a lesser degree) are a bunch of elitist snobs.

... And I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

I really don't care who thinks tatt's are "O.K." for Naval Officers ... the test of time ALWAYS will out. Hint: if you gotta "hide 'em" ... something's WRONG .... they're not "O.K.". Get 'em, have 'em, love 'em at your own risk. AND the same goes for the women who sport them. ;)

Like it or not: but believe it.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
i'm sick of those that say you can't fly jets and have tatts. i'm literally COVERED in tatts (yes, below the sleeves and shorts) and in the jet pipeline...

...that being said, nobody's ever asked, nor cared.

just a word in on the subject...

"Dear Mr. Rush,

I followed your advice on how to think and act like a Fighter Pilot and got my ass LITERALLY covered in tatts. There were a lot of naysayers out there saying that going real Fast!!! and tatts don't mix, but you proved them wrong. I'm now creaming the competition down here in K-Ville. You rock!!!

-Mr GoFaster"

Please tell me I didn't read this on a certain promotional website.:D

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
I'm sure you're both good people. What I'm talking about has nothing to do with being good. Some of the very best enlisted Marines I know have tatts from wrists to ankles. But, you have to realize that we have two very different positions in the world. Note that I didn't say BETTER or WORSE, just DIFFERENT. I'm not talking about friendships. I'm talking about professional reputation. Your peers will probably accept or reject you based on who you are. When you check into a new squadron, the Marge Flanders-type wives will have serious problems with an ensign whose wife/gf looks like she plays lead guitar in an alt-metal band. She will feel isolated, which will roll downhill on you. The "senior company grade/field grade" (USMC) or "super JO/hinge" (USN) will see the same and think that you're not serious. Maybe it's not right, maybe people should be less superficial, but that's just the way it is.

As the Duke once said, "Life is hard [already] it's harder if you're stupid." When you're an unknown quantity, you don't want the first impression to be, "He thinks he's on Miami Ink or something." It's easy to say "That's political BS," but try impressing people when they already think you're a dope.

Thunderkiss

ENS - SNFO
phrogdriver is not saying this to be friends with you. He's trying to prepare you for the REALITY of the fleet. Tattoos and Officers/Officers wives are generally mutually exclusive.

Yeah I know what his intention was, and I appreciate the insight... Speaking generally towards poeple who carry prejudice... not phrog specifically.

Anyhow, I dont have any visible tattoos. I have 1... and I got a waiver. All is good.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
as long as you don't show up looking like this guy....

enigma-low-res-773914.jpg

Thunderkiss

ENS - SNFO
as long as you don't show up looking like this guy....

enigma-low-res-773914.jpg

Dang it! That's my one tattoo! Where did you get my picture!
J/k, I think this dude might have some unresolved mental issues. Freud would have a field day here.

So this guy could not be a Naval Officer then? :icon_tong

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Could someone please upload an even larger picture that could screw with the page loading some more, please?

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Could someone please upload an even larger picture that could screw with the page loading some more, please?

it wasn't nearly that big, (so I thought) when i uploaded it brah. sorry about wasting bandwidth and such.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
It's not the bandwidth, it's just that when I didn't have Explorer set for full screen it goofed up all the margins.