• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tailhook?

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
No NSS is not a bad thing, I just hope the Navy doesn't adapt their system to the Air Force's where class ranking is less a matter of your flights and more a matter of how well you shine your shoes.

I would also see us hate to adopt the AF policy of weighting check rides more heavily than the average, daily syllabus flight. It seems to me that system is a huge mistake. Your ability to perform predictably every day seems much more important than your performance on one event.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
RetreadRand said:
No NSS is not a bad thing, I just hope the Navy doesn't adapt their system to the Air Force's where class ranking is less a matter of your flights and more a matter of how well you shine your shoes.

Having been through that system, I remember how bad it sucked for the AF guys whose fate was not predetermined. The Navy has no plans to go to that as far as we have been told.

The intent in getting rid of NSS is because it is a horrible system. With the 35 cutoff, we are basically saying that we don't want a below average pilot making it through to the next phase in the pipeline. The only problem with that is that the average changes from week to week, so one week a pilot may be good enough, and the next week he is not.
Thankfully, the 35 cutoff has already been abolished, but NSS still remains because it is costly and complicated to replace it.
This isn't to say that we are passing on weaklings or accepting below average performance. You will still see about a 10% attrition rate in each phase, it is just that now it will be part of MPTS (ie failed progress checks) and not a randomly generated flight at the end of the syllabus due to a low final average. If a student is a constant below average performer, he/she will be identified and either improved or weeded out of the system.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I would also see us hate to adopt the AF policy of weighting check rides more heavily than the average, daily syllabus flight. It seems to me that system is a huge mistake. Your ability to perform predictably every day seems much more important than your performance on one event.

Yes, but can't the check ride better measure your performance under pressure?

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Thankfully, the 35 cutoff has already been abolished, but NSS still remains because it is costly and complicated to replace it.

When did this happen? I had a friend/stud who got an FPC with in primary for low NSS just a few months ago. Was he blowing smoke or is this new?
Yes, but can't the check ride better measure your performance under pressure?

Maybe, but the point still stands. Everyone has bad days and do you want an otherwise stellar stud to get tanked because the stars aligned for a bad day on check day? Stupid. Period. What is the fleet motto? Sustained superior performance.

phrogpilot73

RetreadRand said:
Some guys struggle in primary only to kick ass in advanced...or rock both only to suck in the squadron.
I even know one or two guys that BARELY made it out of flight school (6 pink sheets - through API, Primary, and Advanced) that kicked ass in the fleet.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I even know one or two guys that BARELY made it out of flight school (6 pink sheets - through API, Primary, and Advanced) that kicked ass in the fleet.

A good friend of mine was like that. Had 3 downs in VT-4 alone, 1 in primary...the old system of course and he luckily got winged. More downs in the FRS then it just clicked one day in the fleet. Ended up being a really good paddles and solid ball flyer. He's a Southwest pilot now. It just took him a bit longer.....something the MPTS system seems to be good at doing. He was really lucky to make it through via the old system. My old roomate was gone after 2 downs but they came at the very beginning of primary, didn't learn from his first mistake and he was booted quickly.

MasterBates

phrogger said:

Is one of them you? :icon_smil

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A good friend of mine was like that.

That good friend wasn't the one who broke out the Rand McNally map and used that as a VFR sectional was it? That was an interesting flight for me.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Tailhook selection is alive and well. It has been a little delayed but it will be the norm for selection out of primary.

BTW, Commodore Davis, Welcome aboard. I didn't know you read this website. If I can answer any questions, feel free to ask.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
That good friend wasn't the one who broke out the Rand McNally map and used that as a VFR sectional was it? That was an interesting flight for me.

I assure you, you never flew with him.