• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tailhook?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I love how you guys go round an' round about this .... always goin' for the angles .... some things just don't change. :)

Here's the only three rules of the NAVAIRTRACOM:

1. Put in for what you want.

2. Fly what you get.

3. Enjoy it.

Has it ever been any different .... ???? :sleep_125

Yes, but we can bitch about it....and a bitching sailor is a happy sailor!!! :D

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
So lazy (and like you) of you to resort to such a hackneyed retort. I'm merely taking you to task for your question to young gdd05. Maybe you're defensive, maybe not, but suggesting that only 1310s can intelligently discuss reasons for wanting one platform over another is weak.

Brett

Dude, you should know I'm messing but I guess I should have put that smilie in...........helps with the internet. I would say there are various amounts of knowlege with us 1310's, COD guys coming in near the bottome of that :D

gdd05

@ bunk... Sorry, I think that I may have been misunderstood. I was trying to say that if you select tailhook (which includes jets, E2, C2) you should still get your chance at jets. Thats all. You're right, I don't know jack about the E2/C2 community. Only what I have read here on airwarriors. Nothing against your community it just isn't my cup of tea. However, I am willing to take my chances and select tailhook with the possibility of going E2/C2.

@ A4's ... great advice... That's exactly what I plan to do.

However, my real question hasn't been answered. Any more word on this E2/C2 draft? I like the old system where you knew what you were going to fly when you selected.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't know jack about the E2/C2 community...it just isn't my cup of tea.
I liked it better when it sounded like you just weren't interested. But now it's like you're saying you don't like apples yet you've never tried one.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
RetreadRand said:
Not quite,
Try 3 years actually in the bird
then shore duty, and maybe half a disassociated or IA before he decides to stay or go.

Regardless of what he picks, unless he becomes a rag instructor, he will only have one tour flying what he selects. That is the unfortunate reality of being a naval aviator

True, but still a huge difference, good and bad, between communities. This includes the track that he will follow later on.
Lets face it, there isn't a bad job out there in Naval Aviation, but some are more suited to indivuals and their abilities/situations.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
@ bunk... Sorry, I think that I may have been misunderstood. I was trying to say that if you select tailhook (which includes jets, E2, C2) you should still get your chance at jets. Thats all. You're right, I don't know jack about the E2/C2 community. Only what I have read here on airwarriors. Nothing against your community it just isn't my cup of tea. However, I am willing to take my chances and select tailhook with the possibility of going E2/C2.

@ A4's ... great advice... That's exactly what I plan to do.

However, my real question hasn't been answered. Any more word on this E2/C2 draft? I like the old system where you knew what you were going to fly when you selected.

You haven't tried my cup of tea but I also understand where you are coming from. Afterall, I've been there done that. I don't blame ya either. I just thought I'd ask. I suppose it's going to be that much more competitive in advanced.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
RetreadRand said:
Hey, you don't have to suck a dick to know your not gay...

.........but, you suck just one cock and you're a cocksucker :tongue2_1

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I'm not sure if the reason "why" the tailhook selection was created has already been addressed in this thread but I'll give you my insight. Attitude among the students has pressed this into service. Believe it or not, SNA's not studying or unprepared for briefs created the need to recage some gyros. Comments like "so what if I get a down. what are they going to give me, Hornets?" Obviously, this is not true for every SNA but it was becoming a growing trend. Competition breeds quality (unless you are one of the Airlines) so the Tailhook selection was born. Not to say that E2/C2 is a bad platform, the aircraft has a vital mission and is a bearcat to bring on the boat. More then likely, the E2/C2 RAG will benefit from the quality of aviators it receives because of the Tailhook selection. Regardless, this is a smart move. Semper Fly, Frumby

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
Frumby hit the nail on the head on 08/06... bottom line is the senior IPs always had a say in where a stud goes and what he flies (LSO's and 3PL ACM esp). I will always have to look in the mirror the morning after one of my former studs morts and know that I couldn't have done anything more to train him/her up or kick them out (some studs would rather be dead jet dudes than live helo bubbas). All I could do with a weak player is send him 18E/Fs, call the RAG to check up on them and push for F's to have someone looking over their shoulder. The Prowler dudes pushed back on trash we tried to send. I think the Tailhook selection thing would have improved the stinking little attitudes:icon_rage I dealt with for the years the Hoov seats dried up, and would also prospectivelly save a few lives.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
some studs would rather be dead jet dudes than live helo bubbas

Bad attitudes are bad attitudes regardless of where the pilot is. The kind of attitude you are attempting to describe kills folks in any platform - the unfortunate truth is that outside of the single seat world the kind of jackass you are talking about takes other people with him.

The answer to a lazy and/or untalented student isn't to send him to the least desirable platform - whatever you might think that is - but instead to have the either the leadership ability to fix them or the sack to FNAEB them.

Rothman

pilot
At least in Kingsville, and as far as I know (which is very, very little), there wasn't a 'tailhook' syllabus in K-rock when I checked in, and there wasn't one in Meridian last month, either. Somebody, I guess stucon?, was assigning the Navy folk strike or E-2/C-2 when they checked in. Seems like a good Idea (tailhook), but somebody in CNATRA should have talked to the people in K-rock and Meridian before selecting innocent young SNA's to the pipeline. As an aside.... A couple shots of Tequila, some pineapple soda, and a wedge of lime makes a wicked coctail!

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
Bert,
you are right, the senior dudes who cared enough often headed into the skipper's office to have a "come to Jesus" about the prospects of a stud being successful (or living for that matter). But you cannot deny that having another set of eyes (or more) can keep a weak player from morting. (saved me more than once!)

Your black and white comment is somewhat unrealistic.

1. You can't FNAEB SNA's.
2. Not everyone is capable of being trained to fight in the most demanding of arena's (dude, please don't turn this into a flipping platform arguement).
3. Fleet seat fills are all the COMMOs give a shit about. They won't boot ass clowns out.

It has been my experience that most TRACOM CO's were RAG instructors who think first shore tour IP's don't know their hole from an ass in the ground anyways. They trust their ego's and since they have been making coffee at the Pentagon and haven't flown in 4-5 years are totally out of touch with the naval aviation fraternity as a whole (with very, very few exceptions). Nads, Leadership? (sounds boat schooly to question ones abilities in that arena) DH's listened to the grumblings and soiled pant stories from the trenches, passed them on to the Head sheds with undiluted furvor, and the battle was lost from there up. When all reason failed, platform choice was the very, very, very last resort.

On a side note... One of our studs wasted in Key West after CQing was being shepperded back to the Q as Duval closed down... his reply: "F*** OFF, IM A BAD ASSED FIGHTER PILOT!"

BWAH!