• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TACAMO E-6 Lifestyle?

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
He hit the nail on the head. I'm currently in VQ-3 and if my sister squadron could ever figure out their new whiz-bang shit my quality of life will go up exponentially, as they will go do the ABNCP and back-up role there and my squadron will go do both coasts. (exact opposite of what it's been for the past two years) BTW, I have 10 months and 3 days before I can begin filling out my check-out paperwork.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
Only doing the coastal mission for the last 3 years has been really nice. I went to Offutt to stand alert 1 time, which is the polar opposite of my JO tour when my crew (we were hard crewed at the time) had the Offutt month rotation.

Endure, brother. Life gets better when you can look back on it with fond memories. Kinda like childbirth.

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
Life just got a lot better. MC board complete. Check ride commences within the week. 5 or so more deployments til the end.

Zanklin

Oh the per diem you'll make...
pilot
Like any place, it can be super awesome and it can suck balls. It all depends on you, your expectations, and your goals.[/QUOTE]

It really depends on how your outlook on life in general. I've heard people complain about San Diego and Florida. I've also heard people say they love Minot, ND. Perspective.......

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
from what I've heard you don't choose E-6, it chooses you...any truth in this? I have been anthro'd out of everything but helos and P-8's but does that mean the lovely E-6 is on the table still?

Last edited:

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Most guys who get E-6s put them #1. Lots of very tall folks in the same spot as you (I was in the same boat.) Too tall for tailhook and didn't want P-3s/Helos. Some folks get them without putting them on their dreamsheet, but it's not common.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
my problem is I wanted both of those platforms so now I'm bugging everyone I can about the communities and I get the same answer a lot. Helo communities are a blast and P-8 lifestyle is sick, and I quote, "just don't go E-6" so still figuring it out.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just depends on what's important to you. I roomed with a guy who knew he wanted TACAMO before he even started API, and got it. Mostly because he was from OK and wanted to go back there. I was friends with a girl who really wanted HM because there were lots of -53 bubbas in her family and she wanted to continue the tradition.

You'll be on the road a lot no matter what you select. There's no such thing as a "family-friendly" Fleet tour.

Personally, I think it's better to focus on where you'll be stationed than the airplane when filling out a dream sheet. If you hate the Midwest, don't go TACAMO. If you never want even a chance of Norfolk, don't go HSC or VAW. And so on. Gotta consider quality of life, for you and the current or possible family (they'll have to live there even when you're deployed, after all). Deployments are tough enough without hating life when you're home, too.

Pags

N/A
pilot
You'll be on the road a lot no matter what you select. There's no such thing as a "family-friendly" Fleet tour.
Testify brother. This needs to be bolded, stickied, etc.

Personally, I think it's better to focus on where you'll be stationed than the airplane when filling out a dream sheet. If you hate the Midwest, don't go TACAMO. If you never want even a chance of Norfolk, don't go HSC or VAW. And so on. Gotta consider quality of life, for you and the current or possible family (they'll have to live there even when you're deployed, after all). Deployments are tough enough without hating life when you're home, too.
Agree if you're a family guy. I'd also say that it needs to be balanced with interest in the mission. For instance, don't pick E-2s because Mugu is great for families if you have zero interest in flying flat circles or don't pick HM in Norfolk if you have no interest in using a helicopter as a giant farm tractor.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Agree if you're a family guy. I'd also say that it needs to be balanced with interest in the mission. For instance, don't pick E-2s because Mugu is great for families if you have zero interest in flying flat circles or don't pick HM in Norfolk if you have no interest in using a helicopter as a giant farm tractor.

Sure. I've known plenty of self-loathing E-2 pilots who loved Pt Mugu.

I'm talking more about when it's dream sheet time. While you can know or get a feel pretty quickly for how you'd feel about living somewhere, it's much more difficult to know how the community and mission will agree with you until you're in the Fleet.

rotorhead1871

UH-1N.....NAS Agana, Guam....circa 1975
pilot
Yeah, we used to have a 737 as a RAG bounce bird. Same cockpit as the E-6B. It was apparently a blast to fly. I wouldn't know, as they did away with it a couple of CAT I classes ahead of me. Wahwah.

too bad:.........you could have gotten your type rating.....very good to have for life after the NAVY