• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TACAMO E-6 Lifestyle?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Whoa. I wonder what would happen if a bad one hits the flight line.

Would any E6 NFO's possibly give an outline on the FRS? How often are there class-ups since the community is much smaller? Additionally (and hopefully not asking the taboo "what are the chances" question here), how does the breakout occur for the two squadrons from the FRS? Is it based solely on needs of the squadrons at the time or is there a preferential factor that comes into play if studs want one over the other?

Also, if someone might be willing to PM me further details regarding typical in-flight jobs and duties it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

gotta_fly

pilot
I can't speak to much of the NFO stuff but I do know that there is basically what amounts to an NSS cutoff for squadron choice. Don't worry, it's not purely academics, it also takes into account personality and looks. Anyone above a 50 is sent to 4.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Would any E6 NFO's possibly give an outline on the FRS? How often are there class-ups since the community is much smaller? Additionally (and hopefully not asking the taboo "what are the chances" question here), how does the breakout occur for the two squadrons from the FRS? Is it based solely on needs of the squadrons at the time or is there a preferential factor that comes into play if studs want one over the other?

Also, if someone might be willing to PM me further details regarding typical in-flight jobs and duties it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

The outline for NFO advanced? I think it is a lot of PowerPoint followed by some eye gouging lectures about EAMs, NEREPS, and other associated message traffic with maybe a few warnings about how long you are going to go to prison if you lose crypto. There are, of course, 10 minute breaks at the top of every hour. Have fun.

FLYNAVY15

FUBIJAR
pilot
Im sure this was already covered elsewhere, but where do the two squadrons currently Det to? Which squadron is assigned to which coast? Any other pertinent info to know since the last post? Pretty open-ended, but I'm looking for any pro tips I can. Thanks!

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
3 west 4 east traditionally. It may be different now, but I'll let guys still in the community expound on that.

jmcquate

Contributor
The outline for NFO advanced? I think it is a lot of PowerPoint followed by some eye gouging lectures about EAMs, NEREPS, and other associated message traffic with maybe a few warnings about how long you are going to go to prison if you lose crypto. There are, of course, 10 minute breaks at the top of every hour. Have fun.
Messaging a third of the triad has it's crosses to bare. The mission is critical. I imagine the life is better for a family than a fleet guy, and the flying is airlinesque without the perks.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Messaging a third of the triad has it's crosses to bare. The mission is critical. I imagine the life is better for a family than a fleet guy, and the flying is airlinesque without the perks.
Erroneous on many counts, but I like your positive spin on it. Are you in training as a Tacamo NFO? If so, come back and revisit this thread in a few years for a good laugh.
Tacamo messages the whole triad.
The ruse that we can survive a nuclear war with our command and control intact is clever, but to call it critical when it has never been tested is pushing it. It had its day and time, but when these planes are done, I strongly suspect that Tacamo will be done as well. Funding a replacement airframe isn't going to happen without another Cold War.
The divorce rate is about equal. I have lots of sea time on my LES and my marriage has been strained many times during "fleet" jobs as you call them and in tacamo. It survived intact, but there have been some rough patches. Tacamo junior officers can get ridden hard wrt deployments. Make your own conclusions.
The flying is boring. If boring is your thing (it is mine, for the record) then you will do well. The back end job is eye gougingly boring.

Here's the thing - a monkey could do the job of a tacamo NFO given enough training. In fact, I would argue that the senior enlisted comm operator is definitely more qualified than any of our NFOs to do the exact same thing. They put officers in that job for two reasons. Leadership and accountability. The leadership piece comes when (if) the NFO qualifies as mission commander. The accountability is there for the same reason that we have shooters on the decks of aircraft carriers.

NFO advanced for E-6s is death by PowerPoint in a classroom and a few sims in the WST. It equips you to show up to the squadron and only be a little clueless. I am not downing the job. The CSO is a key player in the mission, but the job is very very boring. Ask any Tacamo NFO who has been there a couple of years if they like flying....

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
Erroneous on many counts, but I like your positive spin on it. Are you in training as a Tacamo NFO? If so, come back and revisit this thread in a few years for a good laugh.
Tacamo messages the whole triad.
The ruse that we can survive a nuclear war with our command and control intact is clever, but to call it critical when it has never been tested is pushing it. It had its day and time, but when these planes are done, I strongly suspect that Tacamo will be done as well. Funding a replacement airframe isn't going to happen without another Cold War.
The divorce rate is about equal. I have lots of sea time on my LES and my marriage has been strained many times during "fleet" jobs as you call them and in tacamo. It survived intact, but there have been some rough patches. Tacamo junior officers can get ridden hard wrt deployments. Make your own conclusions.
The flying is boring. If boring is your thing (it is mine, for the record) then you will do well. The back end job is eye gougingly boring.

Here's the thing - a monkey could do the job of a tacamo NFO given enough training. In fact, I would argue that the senior enlisted comm operator is definitely more qualified than any of our NFOs to do the exact same thing. They put officers in that job for two reasons. Leadership and accountability. The leadership piece comes when (if) the NFO qualifies as mission commander. The accountability is there for the same reason that we have shooters on the decks of aircraft carriers.

NFO advanced for E-6s is death by PowerPoint in a classroom and a few sims in the WST. It equips you to show up to the squadron and only be a little clueless. I am not downing the job. The CSO is a key player in the mission, but the job is very very boring. Ask any Tacamo NFO who has been there a couple of years if they like flying....

He hit the nail on the head. I'm currently in VQ-3 and if my sister squadron could ever figure out their new whiz-bang shit my quality of life will go up exponentially, as they will go do the ABNCP and back-up role there and my squadron will go do both coasts. (exact opposite of what it's been for the past two years) BTW, I have 10 months and 3 days before I can begin filling out my check-out paperwork.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.