• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T34 Navigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcdavidson

Can anyone tell me which VFR and IFR navigation instuments the T34 utilizes? A Hornet pilot at Lemoore NAS told me VOR navigation was the only one used; however, I recently saw a cockpit picture of the T34 panel and there was and ADF. Any info would be helpful for preparation.

Thanks!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
ADF, what's that? Oh, the box I use to tune radio stations to listen to!
icon_smile.gif

If I am reduced to shooting an ADF approach, then something is seriously wrong.... P3s, ILS, PAR, TACAN, VOR1/2, and of course the GPS though we aren't certified to use it on the approach. But surprisingly enough (cough) it is always sunny out here in Hawaii, lets just take the visual!

Jack

You'll find that most tactical aircraft are not equiped with ILS ( think civilian) suites. The T-45C has a great ILS that can be used at civlian fields, even sweeter when you have the needles in your hud and can be 'outside' the cockpit the whole way down the chute. The Prowler has something that is supposed to be an ILS. I say supposed to be because it is the most ridiculous piece of equipment I have ever seen.

Most tactical (carrier based) are equipped with a system called ACLS. It is and ILS to the back of the boat. It can be 'coupled' to work in the Mode 1 stage, set that up with APC (auto-throttles) and you have the aircraft flying itself into the wires, you can be completely hands off. The Prowler can not be flown hands off all the way down, problems with the location of the receiver, however the Hornet can actually be flown all the way down on auto-throttles - or so I believe, anyone who knows definitively please add on.

Heineken

SNA Advanced, Meridian
Do any of you guys know when they will implement the precision GPS approaches? I've been hearing talk of it and heard that it is supposed to be used by the civilians in about a year, what about the military?

As for NDB approaches, I've had the needle right on, with proper wind correction (if needed) and still come out 1/2 to 1 mile off course sometimes. Emergency use only!

Anyone know the differece between a VOR and TACAN approach, just curious. Can I shoot a TACAN on my FS2002?

Jack

A TACAN is comprised of a needle and DME. The needle works like a VOR needle in the fact that it shows radials inbound/outbound. The DME (Distance Measuring Equipment) shows slant range from the station. A TACAN approach terminates at a MAP, usually marked by a certain DME from the station. There is no timing required as with a VOR. I do not believe you can shoot TACAN approaches on FS2002.

ghost_ttu

I read somewhere that he TACAN>VOR conversion is in the AFD and that you can tune the TACAN into the DME and use the VOR, but I haven't tried that or looked into it much.

"praying to the SNA board gods couldn't hurt...."

Heineken

SNA Advanced, Meridian
Jack~

Cool, thanks for clearing that up on the TACAN question. Sounds just like a VOR/DME approach.

beau

No ILS.......where is the navy.......stoneage? This will be werid in flight training(praying I make it there first). I got to fly a T-34c this summer on cruise but I dont know about flying instruments in it. Dont get me wrong its the coolest thing I've flown but it is so sensitive on the trim and it does not seem to stable (Oh but it is pilots airplane). The thing I was worried about was the fact that the Additude Indicator was always bouncing around due to the aerobatics we were flying. Trying to fly in IMC(clouds to you non-flying types) with that AI would be nerve racking. Adapt and overcome???

Finch

GO SOONERS!!!

Rainman

pilot
let's pray for all of our sakes that you won't be doing loops, spins and immelmans in IMC thereby causing precession of your gyro with no horizon.

I don't think it's recommended!

ProwlerPilot

pilot
Beau,

The T-34 is actually a rather stable platform. Once you get the thing trimmed, it will not move for miles. It only gets less and less stable as you go on in training, especially if you go jets. As for the instruments, you don't really fly instruments that much anyway in the T-34. More VFR flying, and fun stuff!

beau

I'm use to flying completely stable platforms with less sesitive controls, aka piper warior, arrow, seneca. So .....to me its less stable......but man it is fun to fly. With the instruments, basicly the pilots in VF-101 do aerobatics almost every day on those T-34's (yes the rag has T-34's for spotter planes and proficency) so the instruments were all over the place (precessing) in normal straight an level flight.

Finch

GO SOONERS!!!

Ray

Instruments in the T-34 weren't that tough for most people I know. Either you liked them (to the extent you can like RIs) or you despised them. The gyro does that **** because its not a fancy auto-erecting non tumbling type. You'll get used to it. Its really not that hard. The sims are MUCH worse than the actual plane. I got to do some actuals on my RI flights so not all of it is under the bag.

VT-22 T-45A TS
Currently: Phase 1/Mod 1

travislikes

TACAMO Bus Driver
The T-34 does have the localizer portion of the ILS, it is just that it uses a CDI vs. a HSI which makes your scan that much more difficult. There is no glideslope in the T-34, however. Wherever you go in the Navy for advanced, you will have an ILS and you will probably shoot plenty of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.