• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-6B NATOPS

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I wonder how long after the Navy goes to all T-6B that the API texts will be updated to stop talking about the T-34 aero characteristics...

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
With the way things are going in Corpus, there may never be an all T-6B Navy.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
I wonder how long after the Navy goes to all T-6B that the API texts will be updated to stop talking about the T-34 aero characteristics...

Considering the last T-37 student finished over two years ago, and the text still includes T-37 data, I would say it's going to take quite some time.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
As for the rest of your post, I think the T-6 will absolutely set studs up better for the T-45 than the T-34 did.....for those guys going jets anyway. Typically the learning curve in jet BI/RI/Fams was a little less steep for the Vance dudes than the rest of us who came from the chuck. That all being said, it could also have been a Navy vs AF thing......

From what I've seen from Phase I studs in Kingsville, no difference between the 34C and T-6B guys. Both suck equally in the beginning. The only T-6 bubba's I see doing slightly better are those from the AF side and that might just be an individual thing as it is a small number.

KBayDog

From what I've seen from Phase I studs in Kingsville, no difference between the 34C and T-6B guys.

Same thing at Southie. T-6 dudes have a little slower BI scan at first, but it's not a show-stopper.

What I still can't fathom, though, is that there are SNAs, in Advanced, who have NEVER SHOT A TACAN APPROACH. (Again, not a show-stopper, but something that is still a little odd to hear from time to time.)

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Same thing at Southie. T-6 dudes have a little slower BI scan at first, but it's not a show-stopper.

What I still can't fathom, though, is that there are SNAs, in Advanced, who have NEVER SHOT A TACAN APPROACH. (Again, not a show-stopper, but something that is still a little odd to hear from time to time.)

Did they put a TACAN in the B mod? Going through T-1s I seem to remember the AF guys having trouble flying needles. Did the A mod only lack the TACAN, or was it all CDI with no needles?

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I take this post back, I AM really exicted, but it looks like a lot of work to do in a very short span.

It's really not that bad. Take it all in. You'll be spoon fed systems knowledge...which probably won't happen when you get to your fleet aircraft.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
It's really not that bad. Take it all in. You'll be spoon fed systems knowledge...which probably won't happen when you get to your fleet aircraft.

Yep.....I remember sitting down during my summer off before starting the FRS, big book in hand, and thinking....holy F I have to learn a lot of stuff. And believe it or not, once you hit the FRS and beyond, the big book is probably the thing you will be referencing the least once you move beyond fams and NATOPS check.......grey book, Top Gun chapters, classified supplements to the above, etc etc etc. By the end of the FRS, at least you know where to find things :)

OSUbeaver

Time to musk up
pilot

The T-6B does not have a TACAN. I thought the same thing about 34C dudes that had never shot an ILS. I showed up having never shot a TACAN, was pretty much told "It's like a VOR, but you can't hold over it"....learning curve regained.

Pistol719

Will Over Skill
pilot
Contributor
Well from reading most of this its good to know that I am right on the power curve coming out of API by wanting to chill for a few days and play Battlefield 3 and not sweating the NATOPS or T-6B syllabus before I hit Milton

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
I take this post back, I AM really exicted, but it looks like a lot of work to do in a very short span.

And so goes the rest of your career in Naval Aviation. After this it will be a T-45 or TH, then it will be something bigger and grey. Then it will be upgrades at the same time all of your E-6 evals are due, and you're also trying to shit out a host of stupid-ass end of the year awards... There will always be a lot of work to do in a short period of time :) embrace it and get organized.

Pags

N/A
pilot
And so goes the rest of your career in Naval Aviation. After this it will be a T-45 or TH, then it will be something bigger and grey. Then it will be upgrades at the same time all of your E-6 evals are due, and you're also trying to shit out a host of stupid-ass end of the year awards... There will always be a lot of work to do in a short period of time :) embrace it and get organized.
THIS IS THE TRUTH OF ALL TRUTHS. To hell with stick skills, Time Management is the most important skill you can have.