• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-6A Texan II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heineken

SNA Advanced, Meridian
I don't know about that but I've been hearing for about a 1/2 year now that NAS Whiting should be getting their first T-6's this month. Can anyone confirm?

Rainman

pilot
Rollout Friday was for NAS Pensacola. . TW6 got two. The Navy is buying 2-3 per month and hasn't released a timeframe for getting them in Whiting Field (certainly after TW6 has all their T34s replaced).

Was talking to one of the T6 evaluators for the Navy and he had some interesting comments. . . His thoughts:

1) spins have to be above 12,000
2) no HAPLS / LAPLS (fuel tanks aren't strong enough for soft field landing) . .if engine failure and no paved field, eject!
3) digital cockpit and backup is kickass. troubleshooting all electronic.
4) Minimum landing distance (for training purposes) makes all Area 1 and 2 OLFs obsolete (unless beta is added)

thought I'd share. .

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
Originally posted by joshmountain
2) no HAPLS / LAPLS (fuel tanks aren't strong enough for soft field landing) . .if engine failure and no paved field, eject

No HAPLs or LAPLs??? Those are great airmanship drills (BAW + headwork + SA + EPs, all rolled into one). That really sucks.

Served with a guy who was on the navy's evaluation team for the T-6 a couple of years ago. They recommended against buying them. He had a lot of good reasons why but I can't really remember what they were...

LUCK = THE INTERSECTION OF PREPARATION AND OPPORTUNITY

Heineken

SNA Advanced, Meridian
Just curious as to whether or not the Navy is painting those T-6's at NAS Pensacola in the traditional orange/white, or are they in Air Force colors?

Rainman

pilot
Originally posted by hennekecfi
Just curious as to whether or not the Navy is painting those T-6's at NAS Pensacola in the traditional orange/white, or are they in Air Force colors?
They gotta be orange and white. . .Apparently the Navy owns 43 of them. .can't see why they'd be AF colors. . has anybody seen them @ pensacola?

Yeah. .the new NATOPS Engine Failure procedure is going to be like. . look left, look right. . if no paved field in the triangle of hope, punch out.

TedStriker

i'm headed off to OCS in september 2003, can it be assumed that by the time i get to flight school, the T-34 will still be in use?

i don't want to start learning the T-34 gouge and end up flying the T-6A. thanks!

Dave Shutter

RADM Boyington was interviewed in an article recently and he said the Navy's T-6's will get to Whiting and CC around 2010. Didn't mention why so late but the gist of the article was the modernization of the training fleet, which will occur from the back end on down (ie, glass cockpits in advanced trainers first) Primary trainers apparently have the lowest priority in this scheme of things and there's a lot of old training birds out there.

wjgeorge

Just wondering if anyone has heard more about T-6's at Whiting? I will be in API in May and was hoping to be flying the T-6 at Whiting in June or July. (I know I will be going to Whiting due to the fact that I am in the Air Force not the Navy.)

Thanks

2Lt. William J. George

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
They're rumoring up there that it may be up to six more years (funding has fallen short of projections). You'll be back as an instructor before you'll see it.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just like anything, it takes time to get a new production aircraft into full swing, so EXPECT that you will fly the T-34 and if you do get to fly the T-6A, count yourself lucky. The T-45 replaced the T-2 and it took a L O N G time to get that aircraft fully incorporated. Patience Luke, Patience!
ea6bflyr
icon_smile.gif

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Will the Marine Corps train in the T-6 Texan? I found a fact sheet on the web, and it desribed it as an Air Force and Navy pilot trainer. Will it replace the T-34? Thanks.

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.
-Col.3:23-

Status
Not open for further replies.