• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-45C down at Kingsville today

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Like MIDNJAC said, the blue one that showed up at Corpus a while back was a former RAG spotting plane. Not sure on the rest...

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Sadly, anything in Corpus over by base ops/tower is headed for the scrap heap. Some aren't even being flown to the boneyard.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
That article says that on Aug 24 a couple of guys had to bailout of the T-34 near Corpus. Was that a typo on the year? I didn't hear anything about that.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
That article says that on Aug 24 a couple of guys had to bailout of the T-34 near Corpus. Was that a typo on the year? I didn't hear anything about that.

Nope, that did indeed happen. Both guys were okay after bailing out successfully over the water.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Were they orange and white with teeth, or dark blue?

They were TRACOM birds, not range/safety birds. There was one blue one with teeth that had been a range/safety bird that wasn't painted for a while, but the tradition was meant for the TRACOM birds.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
....Another I read recently, was a 'legendary' incident way back in the day, where a USAF F-102 ?? pilot ejected at high altitude, slowly spiraled down and landed at a decent attitude/rate of descent, receiving repairable damage. Returned to service, it was assigned to several Squadrons before ending it's service life. Being by then famous, it was retired to and is still on display at the USAF Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB, Dayton OH.
BzB

It was an F-106 that landed in a snow-covered field, plenty close enough for government work. ;)

KBayDog

I can't speak for the Corpus birds, but the tradition at Whiting was that the aircraft with teeth were gear up landings.

135.jpg

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Yet, aircraft with non-retractable gear still have to report "down and locked" at *ahem* certain airfields.

Every Chair Force field?

Me: "Tinker tower, Gooch 69 10 miles out ILS 35, three down and locked, full stop."

Tinker tower: "Gooch 69, check wheels down, blah blah blah we suck at our jobs."

Me: Facepalm....

I know it has something to do with getting it on tape, but it's annoying nonetheless.

KBayDog

Every Chair Force field?

Me: "Tinker tower, Gooch 69 10 miles out ILS 35, three down and locked, full stop."

Tinker tower: "Gooch 69, check wheels down, blah blah blah we suck at our jobs."

Me: Facepalm....

I know it has something to do with getting it on tape, but it's annoying nonetheless.

"Two down and welded."

In my Phrog days..."Three down and welded," and then "Yes, I'll follow the "Follow Me" truck," and then "Yes, I'll stay on the correct side of the Red Line," and then "No, I will not wear a glow belt on the flight line."

Pags

N/A
pilot
I can't speak for the Corpus birds, but the tradition at Whiting was that the aircraft with teeth were gear up landings. However, that seemed to be dieing when I was leaving around 2008. Maintenance wasn't very happy with losing that tradition, at least the couple I talked to. Maybe that got turned back on later.
When I was at North Whiting in 04-05 there were NO T-34s with teeth. There were pictures of them around, but none on the line. I had also heard the "teeth=gear up" story.

KBayDog

When I was at North Whiting in 04-05 there were NO T-34s with teeth. There were pictures of them around, but none on the line. I had also heard the "teeth=gear up" story.

How many had teeth by the time you left? :D

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I could have sworn we had a couple, but maybe I just wasn't paying attention. Or maybe I just buyed into the above and figured one was out there in that mass of orange and white somewhere. I certainly never flew one.