• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-45C down at Kingsville today

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
I think the T-45C from the Kingsville June 2010 incident is up and flying again. If not, I heard it will be flyable in the near future.

KBayDog

Are these things still coming off the assembly line? Or do we have all the jets we're going to have?

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
They stopped production a year or two ago. They figured they had enough using some formula of losing like 1 per year, over a certain amount of years until they got the replacement. It seemed silly to me at the time, since more likely the accident rate could/will be higher, and the replacement won't be as soon as they think. I think in total we own about 200 T-45s between Krock, Meridian, and Pcola.

KBayDog

Thanks, I didn't know they were that new.

I need to get into the antiques business. Aside from a few good-deal FAMs and whatnot, my military flying experience is limited to the antique TorMentor, the antique Sea Ranger, and the antique Battle Phrog. :)

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
The schedule was canceled yesterday and this jet won't be flying again.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I'm pretty sure that jet ended up back in that squadron - where it stayed for quite a few years and made too many appearances in my logbook.

Bureau Number (BUNO) 158542 is made up of three EA-6Bs pieced together as one. The unorthodox method for building an airplane has been dubbed ̶0;Franken-Prowler.”
Franken-Prowler is the result of the efforts of NAVAIR Depot, Jacksonville, Fla. Their goal is to provide the fleet with an additional Electronic Warfare asset by combining the forward fuselage of BUNO 158542, the aft fuselage of BUNO 158547, and pieces of BUNO 156482. The three aircraft were all part of the Advanced Capability (ADVCAP) Program, which aimed to incorporate multiple improvements into the airframe.

Thanks for the update. This happened not long after I left VAQ-35 and went TAR but my prior to that I was VAQ-141wonderful so I knew the players and ECMO 1 had sought me out looking for advice. No one was surprised that this happened to the Aviator driving - he defined the single seat mentality in a multi-seat jet.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks for the update. This happened not long after I left VAQ-35 and went TAR but my prior to that I was VAQ-141wonderful so I knew the players and ECMO 1 had sought me out looking for advice. No one was surprised that this happened to the Aviator driving - he defined the single seat mentality in a multi-seat jet.
I'm sure Recovering LSO can relate to that sentiment. :)

Brett

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Supposedly the T-34C's with shark teeth are the ones that survived crashes/ditches/gear up landings. Just a stud rumor, not sure of the validity. There was one in Corpus.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Supposedly the T-34C's with shark teeth are the ones that survived crashes/ditches/gear up landings. Just a stud rumor, not sure of the validity. There was one in Corpus.

I heard they were former FRS/Strike Fighter Wing low-safe T-34s. That's just scuttlebutt though.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I can confirm that the Corpus T-34 with teeth was a former FRS bird......it arrived at Corpus right when I was checking out for Meridian, and it had VFA-125 on the tail.

Wudgles

Cause I am most ill and I'm rhymin' and stealin'
pilot
I can confirm that the Corpus T-34 with teeth was a former FRS bird......it arrived at Corpus right when I was checking out for Meridian, and it had VFA-125 on the tail.

This one?

imag0010dx.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I can't speak for the Corpus birds, but the tradition at Whiting was that the aircraft with teeth were gear up landings. However, that seemed to be dieing when I was leaving around 2008. Maintenance wasn't very happy with losing that tradition, at least the couple I talked to. Maybe that got turned back on later.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I can't speak for the Corpus birds, but the tradition at Whiting was that the aircraft with teeth were gear up landings. However, that seemed to be dieing when I was leaving around 2008. Maintenance wasn't very happy with losing that tradition, at least the couple I talked to. Maybe that got turned back on later.

Were they orange and white with teeth, or dark blue?

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
My systems instructor in primary (Corpus) said the birds with the shark teeth were in fact involved in some sort of mishap; initially meant to try to get people to take them since they looked "cooler" but it didn't take long to figure out what their deal was. I specifically remember him pointing out one (725 or some 700 numbered one...) that "bought a carrot patch" out on a New Mexico det he was OIC of back in the day.