• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-34C kill?

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
So in my systems class this week, our instructor said that an Argentinian T-34C has supposedly received credit for shooting down a British AV-8 Harrier during the Falklands War. I immediately had to google this when I came home. I wasn't able to find anything definitive, other than a bunch of them actually got shot down themselves. Anyone know anything more about this? Or is the instructor wrong?

Just curious more than anything. If true, that's one more kill than the T-6 Texan II! At least so I think.

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
I have always heard this but never seen any proof. I looked into it myself and could not find anything. I found a list of all the harriers shot down in the falklands and none were from a 34. I think its some rumor that the sim guys down there love to just keep going.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This rumor was going around when I went through flight school and probably was going around since the Falklands War started. That is all it is, a rumor.

The only aerial encounter the Argentine T-34C's had during the war was when the CO of the Royal Navy's 801 Squadron flying Sea Harriers, CDR (then LCDR) 'Sharkey' Ward took some cannon shots at several that were trying to find and attack British ships near the islands. One of the cannon shells found it's mark but fortunately for the Argentine pilot, did not explode. The encounter is detailed in his autobiography. Other than that they Argentine T-34's largely sat out the war, several were captured by the Brits, some were used for target practice while one was taken back to the UK as a war prize.

The only aerial victory by the Argentinians was a Pucara that shot down a Westland Scout helicopter. No Harriers were lost in aerial combat and they ended the war with a perfect record, 21-0, against their Argentinian foes.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
*edit* ... oooops ... ^ what he said ...
So in my systems class this week, our instructor said that an Argentinian T-34C has supposedly received credit for shooting down a British AV-8 Harrier during the Falklands War.....
Don't think so ... but tell your instructor "nice try" ...

One of Our Aircraft is Missing - British Aircraft Losses in the Falklands War

A HELO was shot down by a Pucara, however ... :)

Argie claims:

No se sabe exactamente la cantidad de aeronaves perdidas por el Reino Unido, ya que como en el caso de las bajas de personal, las cifras oficiales son dudosas. Los registros propios hablan de las siguientes cifras:
pixel.gif

pixel.gif

BAC Sea Harrier FRS.1 -- 7
BAC
Harrier GR.3 -- 4
Boeing
Chinook HC-1-- 3
Westland
Sea King HC-4/HAS -- 5
Westland
Wessex HAS-3/HU-5 -- 9
Westland
Lynx HAS-2 -- 3
Westland
Scout AH-1 -- 1
Aerospatiale 342
Gazelle AH-1 -- 3

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
This rumor was going around when I went through flight school and probably was going around since the Falklands War started. That is all it is, a rumor.

The only aerial encounter the Argentine T-34C's had during the war was when the CO of the Royal Navy's 801 Squadron flying Sea Harriers, CDR (then LCDR) 'Sharkey' Ward took some cannon shots at several that were trying to find and attack British ships near the islands. One of the cannon shells found it's mark but fortunately for the Argentine pilot, did not explode. The encounter is detailed in his autobiography. Other than that they Argentine T-34's largely sat out the war, several were captured by the Brits, some were used for target practice while one was taken back to the UK as a war prize.

The only aerial victory by the Argentinians was a Pucara that shot down a Westland Scout helicopter. No Harriers were lost in aerial combat and they ended the war with a perfect record, 21-0, against their Argentinian foes.

Exactly. That is such a lame rumor that has been going around for years, since the Falklands conflict is my guess. Tell the instructor to do some research before talking out of his ass, respectfully of course :)

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
Thanks for the info guys. I'll wait until I'm done with CPT's this week before telling them they're full of it. Haha.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks for the info guys. I'll wait until I'm done with CPT's this week before telling them they're full of it. Haha.

You might want to wait until your final RI sim before telling them that. I'm just saying.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
You might want to wait until your final RI sim before telling them that. I'm just saying.

Even then I'd be wary because if you get P-3s and end up in 31, you could have the same sim instructors again.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Even then I'd be wary because if you get P-3s and end up in 31, you could have the same sim instructors again.

Shoot, if you come back as an IP for your shore tour you could have the same sim instructors...

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
Even if you come back as CSO after 20 years you could still have the same instructors. Of course, if they give you shit then, you can give it right back.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I'm pretty sure LT Ellyson had the same sim instructors when he got the first set of wings back in 1913.