• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-34 Mentor's Future

Status
Not open for further replies.

wali

Hey guys, does the Navy intend to replace its T-34 fleet with something else anytime soon? I attened Valdosta State University here in Valdosta and the Moody AFB has the new T-6 Texan II's. Now those things are awesome and have pretty phenomenal performance for a turbo-prop. Does the Navy intend to buy the T-6's or anything else for that matter?

Edited by - wali on 06/27/2002 16:42:46

Edited by - wali on 06/27/2002 16:44:30

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What are the upgrades? And why is the gear issue so far away? Does VT-3 have golf carts to take their students over there?

patbrown08

Far away? It is about time that VT-6 gets to have the short walk to gear issue! I am sure that the golf carts are on order for 2&3.

Dave Shutter

The occasional Navy pilot gets sent to Moody for T-6 training. They started it not too long ago, then stopped for a few weeks and now SNA's are going back. No info as to how many. SNFO's in P-cola will see them by the end of this year but CC and Whiting are still a few more years off. Don't ask me why so long?

Ed Williams

Right now whiting is upgrading the paraloft and hangars to accomidate the explosive material involved with the ejection seats... or so i have been told. It makes sence to me. What i can't figure out is no beta.... big mistake. Split field ops is what keeps whiting moving so quickly.
ed

candiman

the t6 will come online in a few years the buno #s are already issued as far as why-- its all about the $. i had and instrutor in corpus that was at moody for the training and when the navy decided to cut them for a few years after the intial purchase he was pulled abd sent to corpus. and the ones that were already purchased were sent to nfo school.

mike

WFUNFO

Here's the actual answer...I am in advanced at Sherman Field School for the Blind, and, yes, we are getting the Texan first out of Navy training commands. We will be fully tranferred over to the T-6 by this time next year, and the other commands shouldn't really hold their breath for them right now. Not to be negative, but the overwhelming majority of those ordered are being sent to Pensacola for use. They are pretty amazing from what everyone says, but honestly, nothing beats making it through the "hazing" process that is the T-34. For those of us who did it the hard way, we don't mind all the sore backs and necks, knowing that we were flying in a WWII antique. The T-34 is definitely a point of pride for those of us who toughed our way through the "Tor-mentor." But for those who have the Texan, have a ball with it, at least your air conditioners will work.

Rainman

pilot
A LCDR told me no beta b/c the Navy stopped paying for its development--leaving it all up to the AF. AF (read long runways) didn't need it. He also said that a bunch of runways would have to be lengthened before it comes to TW5 (2-4 years?) . . Not that that's what's holding it up!

Dave Shutter

The T-6 definitely looks sh*t hot (as props go) but I'm looking forward to the T-34, I'm a nostalgic kind of guy. I'm sure I'll get the chance to fly in one in the coming years, especially if I get Helo's, might end up being an IP in one if I'm lucky. I'd love the chance to do the T-45 but I was a little sad when they retired the TJ-4, that's flying history there, although fitting into it would have been a nightmare. Frumby, your my size if I recall, how did you ever manage???

AdamS

Just a dumb question, does the T-34 have an ejection seat, and do the students wear parachutes if not? Just curious, honestly.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
No ejection seat on the T34, and yes you wear a parachute. The parachute sits in the plane, and you strap it on when you get in, after giving it a thorough check of course!

ghost_ttu

So if I pull the rip chord and deploy the chute in the plane can I tell the IP that I've checked the chute?

AdamS

LOL!!
Hey John, someone asked me the other day(a friend that thinks Im crazy), are there ever student fatalities or parachute-bails in training? Good lord that must be quite an experience :)

Status
Not open for further replies.