• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-34 Fuel Quantity Indicators

Status
Not open for further replies.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Rainman... you sure you weren't a prowler bubba in another life?

Q: How does the fuel qty indicator work?
A: The needle points to how much gas I have. Left side bad, right side good.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pags said:
it kinda does matter when your on-wing is asking you, "how do they work?", and the best answer you can give is, "um, they're capacitance type." but, thanks for the help, y'all.

Dude, who the heck is your on-wing? The NATOPS is sitting in my lap open to "2.7.7. Fuel Quantity Indicators" and Rainman's explanation is about 3x as long as what's there. Nothing about little tubes either. Granted I'm a nerd, so I love reading about minutiae like that, but you actually got quizzed on that in a brief?? Wow.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
goplay234 said:
...Just remember to tap the gauges prior to a cruise check...You might find yourself up to fifty pounds low...

Personally, I think the real problem there is the stupid oxygen pressure gauge that you have to completely go eyes-off-instruments to check.

Pags

N/A
pilot
nittany03 said:
Dude, who the heck is your on-wing? The NATOPS is sitting in my lap open to "2.7.7. Fuel Quantity Indicators" and Rainman's explanation is about 3x as long as what's there. Nothing about little tubes either. Granted I'm a nerd, so I love reading about minutiae like that, but you actually got quizzed on that in a brief?? Wow.

yeah man, fam 2. my on-wing prides himself on thorough briefs.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
nittany03 said:
Personally, I think the real problem there is the stupid oxygen pressure gauge that you have to completely go eyes-off-instruments to check.

yes, because you're on O2 so much in the T-34...wait....isn't the only guage external anyhow?

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
squeeze said:
yes, because you're on O2 so much in the T-34...wait....isn't the only guage external anyhow?

I just finished up BIs, so hence my O2-centered thought process. And there's 3. One on each regulator and one on the outside service panel.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pags said:
yeah man, fam 2. my on-wing prides himself on thorough briefs.

Why am I picturing him as a guy who didnt exactly tear it up in the fleet?

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
skidkid said:
Why am I picturing him as a guy who didnt exactly tear it up in the fleet?

when the only way you can impress somebody is to share your knowledge of a system down to the smallest bolt

Rainman

pilot
ea6bflyr said:
Great!! WHO LEFT THE DAMN DOOR OPEN? Now, as a lesson to you all, see what happens when you leave the door open? People just come walking in... Just kidding RAINMAN. Great technical explanation, but lets use little works as to no confuse the young ones. Just act like you are dealing with your Girlfiend or Wife (Speak S L O W L Y and make no SUDDEN MOVEMENTS) :)

Ok...Here's the easy man explanation: There are several TUBES that are made of a tube within a tube. Fuel level creates a Circuit load (More fuel = less resistance and Less Fuel = More resistance). Each load corresponds to a fuel reading. The Resistance loads are averaged out and viola you have a fuel reading on the gage. Hope this helps!!
ea6bflyr (I used to be an AE)

You were easy on me. .lol. Okay well that explanation works but it's really permittivity and not resistance. But for all practical purposes the analogy works.. Oh and just two tubes. . . .

Incidentally many low power circuits have plenty of AC crap on them. Like any IR remote control (and your 2 x 1.5 V [dc] dry cells). The important thing is that it runs off the 28 V DC (essential?) bus.

Yeah, just think of a probe in the tank going to a little transmitter or processor and on to the gauge. . that's about it. . A cheap one for a GA aircraft is about $100. .and they are used in about every more sopisticated jet. . all the Boeing 7xx series . .tactical jets. .etc.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Eagle32 said:
Rainman,

Are you sure you are not a P-3 type??? Need to go take some Excedrin with bourbon now.
For a second there, I thought I had walked into a 2P systems board that had gone waaayyyy too far into the weeds.

Rainman, thought you pointy nosed types spent all your time studying tactics?

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Rainman said:
You were easy on me. .lol. Okay well that explanation works but it's really permittivity and not resistance. But for all practical purposes the analogy works.. Oh and just two tubes. . . .

Incidentally many low power circuits have plenty of AC crap on them. Like any IR remote control (and your 2 x 1.5 V [dc] dry cells). The important thing is that it runs off the 28 V DC (essential?) bus.

Yeah, just think of a probe in the tank going to a little transmitter or processor and on to the gauge. . that's about it. . A cheap one for a GA aircraft is about $100. .and they are used in about every more sopisticated jet. . all the Boeing 7xx series . .tactical jets. .etc.
Dude, you're killing me... you want to be a NUKE? I hear they are taking ppl right now.

Pags, if your onwing is a P3 dude, kick him in the jimmy for me for asking this much detail. And then ask him to tell YOU about P3 generator theory.....

Eagle32

I'm taking you to the looneybin.
Yeah, smoke that dude. Sounds like Primary is out of control. I thought I was leaving the land of tools.

Rainman

pilot
webmaster said:
For a second there, I thought I had walked into a 2P systems board that had gone waaayyyy too far into the weeds.

Rainman, thought you pointy nosed types spent all your time studying tactics?

chuckle. . yeah tactics .. and the 'naughty' systems. . .I certainly don't 'study' capacitance-type fuel indicators! Just a EE with a passing interest in gen av.. considered getting my A&P, but then I punched myself in the gut and cracked open a Tacman and a Schlitz.

Status
Not open for further replies.