• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Systems and Charts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodie143

Anyone currently in primary or just graduated, I have a couple of questions if you don't mind and have the time:

1. I know you can get Whiting charts at Wings and Things, but is there anywhere on the web to get area 1, 2F, 2T and 3 charts? Is there any other charts that I missed? How often do the routes on the charts change?

2. Looking through the NATOPS, I see that there are 6 systems (Oil, Fuel, Electrical, Wheelbrake, Heating/Ventilation, and Air-Conditioning) and 8 system diagrams (on pages 2-8, 2-12, 2-16, 2-17, 2-18, 2-27, 2-38, and 2-40). Did I miss any, and how detailed will you have to draw these for the instructor? I assume in complete detail, but I don't know.

3. Anything else I should know about these two subjects?

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Brodie143

Dave,

I been in the A-pool for the last 2 months, and probably will be for a while longer.

I just wanted to get ahead if possible and with an Aero Eng degree and my three years as a maintenance officer in an F-14 squadron, I have a pretty good knowledge base for API. I also have some of the gouge for API form various sources. Of course live by the gouge die by the gouge, so studing is a must. While I was in the squadron, I picked up the T-34C NATOPS. So I figured on rainy days I would study.

I had heard that students have to draw out the systems for instructors. As for the charts, I figured if I could memorize thoses, It would be another place to excel.

Any advice?

NOSWO

Naval Aviator, MH-60S Knighthawk
It all depends on your instructor (onwing), the big three to know how to draw are the oil, prop, and fuel system...the best (easiest to understand) versions of those are found in the systems workbook that you get at ground school, you may have to add like the bearings in the oil system to the diagram but overall they are a good place to start...as for the level of detail, the big thing is to have "conversational knowledge" of the system, but the more you can draw and label from memory in the "pre-brief" period before the IP gets there the better...hope that helps, oh yeah get in there and study limits/EP's early, and make sure that you know those Notes, Warnings and Cautions...if you can nail these in the brief the rest of the flight seems to take a much better tone....good luck...........

Brodie143

NOSWO,

Thanks for the info. I was trying to memorize the oil system from the NATOPS and I was having a lot of difficulty just starting out. The fuel system and first sheet of the electrical system I have memorized. I can describe what is happening in the oil system, I just can't draw it like ti looks in the NATOPS. Thanks for the info on the EPs and limits. How long is ground school?

Again thanks and good luck to you too.

Brodie143

Not as impressive as I think I may have lead on. Is there a pull out? I just memorized what all the boxes are and where all the boxes and lines go to, on the diagram on page 2-16 of the NATOPS. Not where each bus sent electrical power to. So right now I can show how you get from the battery or generator to utility Bus #1 and so on. But I don't know where each bus sends power to, unless is is a specific bus like LANDING GEAR BUS. But I get what you are saying.

Thanks for the info as well UInavy.

Another question:

I have seen briefs before but that is in sea going squadron. What are briefs like in primary? Do you get in there before the instructor and draw everything out like routes? Basically are you told before the day of your flight what the instructor wants to see and where you are going, or does the istructor tell you what they want to see when they get there and you draw it?

Again thanks for the help

beau

do you have to know exactly how the BETA Valve works in the T-34? I'm flying a Turbo Commander right now and that is a mess! Very confusing! Any word as to if you need to know this for Primary and the T-34?

Finch

GO SOONERS!!!

Rainman

pilot
Originally posted by beau
do you have to know exactly how the BETA Valve works in the T-34? I'm flying a Turbo Commander right now and that is a mess! Very confusing! Any word as to if you need to know this for Primary and the T-34?

Finch

GO SOONERS!!!

Yup. The systems class when you get there isn't too bad. I don't think I truly got it until I talked with maintenance over in the hangar. . nor worries.

As far as the maps go <brodie> I think the charts @ wings and things are good. A bunch of instructors / students use them. I never used them. .once you're halfway through fams you don't really need them.. . I used a black and white sectional photocopy that is issued. .worked just fine.

Be advised, the area charts on navygouge.com are old and not correct for course rules. . .

Brodie143

That's what I thought about the navygouge charts. They didn't look like the ones I had seen at Wings.

What about the EPs, I take it you have to know all of them prior to flying, is that correct? I looks like some of them build on others so that isn't to bad, and I have memorized the ground emergencies. But that is still quite a bit to remember. Again thanks for the help.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Yeah,

Like Environmental System test and the dreaded missing O2 Mask!

Dave

beau

About how many EPs are there, and how many are the major ones you need to know on a day to day basis? All of them? Most Procedures five or less steps? more?

Finch

GO SOONERS!!!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Three I STILL remember:

Precautionary Emergency Landing
Turn
Climb
Clean
Check
Determine
Deliver

High Altitude Power Loss

Transition
Clean
Check
Feather
Look
Lock
A - Airstart?
B - Bailout?
C _ (damn forgot this one)??
Talk
Squawk

The Break

Flop
Chop
Check
Drop

LOL, scary that I still remember these. I don't remember ANY from the T44 though, guess the T34 made more of an impression. You guys have talked on other threads about systems and chart memorization, you would freak if you saw some of the stuff you have to memorize and know cold for your board and general systems knowledge of the P3. Try three generators and an APU on a multi bus (AC and DC) electrical system, with run around relays, current limiters, feeders, transformers, and the list goes on...

beau

Thanks for the heads up! A bittersweet day for me! Flew my last flight at OU, but it was a great day and I flew my approaches really good in the mighty Turbo Commander (still had trouble keeping that thing on the runway after touchdown though! Damn non-locking Nose wheel steering) Most Definitly waiting to graduate and that Paycheck!....But more excited about starting Training!!!!

Finch

GO SOONERS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.