• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SWO vs. NFO

scd_84

I was thinking that SWO sounded like something that I could actually enjoy. However, after hearing from many people and forums...that couldn't be further from the truth. I'm completely okay with sucking something up but not if I don't have to. NFO was going to be my 2nd choice on my application for OCS. I just was wondering if your vision factored into NFO or AMDO. I know my vision sucks way too bad to be a pilot. Also, I was wondering if anybody had any tips or information on the ASTB. What kind of stuff does it cover, what kind of scores needed for NFO, etc... ANy other suggestions or experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Lots of good gouge on the subject here so by all means use the search button.

My kid just went thru something similar so I'll throw this in as well. He was a Marine PLC candidate with 20/400 in each eye. Went to OCC 195 Combined with a SNFO contract. Finished OCS in Aug of 2007 and had PRK. He ended up with 20/15 vision, was granted a waver and commissioned Aug 2 as a SNA with a TBS date of 15 Dec.

If you want it bad enough your eyes don't have to keep you from serving.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
If PRK is not an option....definitely go NFO over SWO. Compare this forum to sailorbob.com........you will see the light. The NFO's I know are having a blast, the SWOs I know....are not. If I had to pick NFO vs. SWO, NFO without hesistation.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
Anything in aviation in better then SWO IMO. Pick your job using this criteria;
1. Something you really enjoy.
2. Something that can provide a good job when you get out.
3. Something you can only do in the military.
4. Something that can pay more i.e. bonus, fly pay, etc.
5. Something that promotes fast.

#5 mainly applies to someone who enlists, but this the list that I use when people ask me about going into the military.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c

#5 mainly applies to someone who enlists, but this the list that I use when people ask me about going into the military.

can i ask about #2? so i know many NFOs end up as civilian pilots (such as Wink, and others here) but that must not be the normal "good job when you get out". what part of NFO gives you a good job when you get out which SWO doesnt do?

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
can i ask about #2? so i know many NFOs end up as civilian pilots (such as Wink, and others here) but that must not be the normal "good job when you get out". what part of NFO gives you a good job when you get out which SWO doesnt do?

I would submit to you that as an SWO, your individual decision-making capacity will be very limited for a very long time, because the CO is alway a phone call away. The concept of being alone and unafraid over Krblakistan with 4 500-lb bombs on your wings, your lead on the tanker, and your pilot being a junior guy is going to be very familiar to any LT NFO.

I would again submit to you that the self-reliance and ability to make real-world tactical decisions on the fly without having to consult the boss every time a heading change is needed-- it's worth its weight in gold on the outside. JMHO.

Layzee101

Final Select SWO
I've tried looking on sailorbob and it wants you to register like here however I am having difficulty figuring out how to register on it. Really it seems like you have to already be in the service to look at their forums. It askes for your "Enter VIP code: *The VIP code is the two number designation for the Arleigh Burke Class DD".

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
I've tried looking on sailorbob and it wants you to register like here however I am having difficulty figuring out how to register on it. Really it seems like you have to already be in the service to look at their forums. It askes for your "Enter VIP code: *The VIP code is the two number designation for the Arleigh Burke Class DD".

hey layz! even i knew to do a search on AirWarriors when i went to register on SB ;)

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showpost.php?p=344698&postcount=8

and there are definitely a few midshipmen that post there, like one that just started posting here, vulcanx. :)

Layzee101

Final Select SWO
When I searched SWO stuff here a lot of it was from ages ago and nothing that was of use to me. I also noticed plenty of bias due to the fact this is for aviation. I started here because SWO was my second pick, first being NSA. I saw several people saying to go to sailorbob for more SWO info. But thanks for the input you big meany! :icon_tong

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
When I searched SWO stuff here a lot of it was from ages ago and nothing that was of use to me. I also noticed plenty of bias due to the fact this is for aviation. I started here because SWO was my second pick, first being NSA. I saw several people saying to go to sailorbob for more SWO info. But thanks for the input you big meany! :icon_tong

i was just teasing you though. :D did you follow my link? the answer to your question about the VIP code is there

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
Its 51. Read the other SWO thread, if you have questions ask me.

I would submit to you that as an SWO, your individual decision-making capacity will be very limited for a very long time, because the CO is alway a phone call away. The concept of being alone and unafraid over Krblakistan with 4 500-lb bombs on your wings, your lead on the tanker, and your pilot being a junior guy is going to be very familiar to any LT NFO.

I would again submit to you that the self-reliance and ability to make real-world tactical decisions on the fly without having to consult the boss every time a heading change is needed-- it's worth its weight in gold on the outside. JMHO.

To play devils advocate (I am neither a SWO nor a Pilot/NFO):

Topic SWO Vs. NFO.

I would say the leadership skills gained as SWO is far more significant than that of an NFO. I agree the ability to make tactical decisions on the fly is a great asset, one that the SWO community teaches. A SWO as OOD must make tactical decisions based on the input received from his/her watch team. The OOD must balance the maintenance being conducted, fire control contacts, nautical hazards, and accomplish the mission tasking at hand. This is a lot to ask of a 25 year old in charge of an almost billion dollar warship. Yes, the OOD must seek the Captain's permission before performing some of these actions, but the OOD must convince the Captain of the right decision to ensure the boss has faith in your ability. I believe the ability to convince your superior of the correct decision of your TEAMS decision is huge in the civilian sector.

I believe both are division officers as well so not difference there as well as both jobs learn to fight casualty and take action when required, great skill sets.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
awolfinwater,

I know you're playing devil's advocate, but consider this:

Pilots and NFOs have to do pretty much all of the above. Split second tactical decisions, coordinating the efforts of multiple assets, convincing the boss the your decision was sound based of the situation etc.

Its a different job with different rules and a different mission. The leadership and decision making skills that a SWO gets are no less or more significant than the skill set the Naval Aviators and Flight Officers develop.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c

thanks for the comments on #2. can i ask about #5 now? what is it about being a naval aviator/NFO which make promotions faster than for SWOs?

and if aviators promote faster, don't swos promote farther? i mean, it seems the flag ranks are all stocked up with swos.