• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

swo tours

Jason O'Shea

i read that when you graduate nrotc and recieve the commision to become an ensign, and if you choose the surface warfare option that as a junior officer you will need 42 months of tour which is seperated into one two year tour and one and a half year tour. does that really mean that if i did that, i would be gone on a ship for two years?

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
i read that when you graduate nrotc and recieve the commision to become an ensign, and if you choose the surface warfare option that as a junior officer you will need 42 months of tour which is seperated into one two year tour and one and a half year tour. does that really mean that if i did that, i would be gone on a ship for two years?

Here let me help you:

Greetings,

My name is Jason O'Sea (and I don't much about protecting my sensitive personal information), I am a college / high school (insert year). I know that most of the people who frequent this board are aviators, but I was wondering if you could help answer a question I had about surface warfare.

I read that when you commission through NROTC as a Surface Warfare Officer your first tour will be 42 months long and separated into two parts: a two year tour and a one and a half year tour. Does that mean that I would be gone on a ship for two years?

Thanks in advance,

Pistol719

Will Over Skill
pilot
Contributor
Like the gentleman before me mentioned. Not a smart idea to post alot of PII,

But to answer your question in it's most obvious format, yes you would be on a ship for two years. The smartass side of me wants to tell you this is the Navy were you expecting not to goto sea? But then the realistic side of me wants you to realize that a two year tour at sea does NOT mean that you will be haze grey and underway for two solid years. Ideally you would do one or two deployments in that time frame, and the rest of your time it would sort of be like a job where you go to the ship every day and would ideally have your own place out on town. Nothing like the shit you see on Pearl Harbor where everyone lives on the ship permanently.. this isn't the 40's although as a junior sailor I did spend quite a bit of time living onboard ;)

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
First tour is now 30 months long on average. Figure you will have at least one deployment, if not maybe two depending on what platform you choose. Second tour is 18 months long on average. A lot of things can go into the average such as pre-comm tours (generally a longer tour), how critical your job onboard is, etc.