• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SWO spots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

psrogers

Intel Officer
Thanks. One question then: If SWO is such a tough gig, why does anybody want it? Is everyone drooling for the opportunity to move higher up the chain of command, and be a department head? Is that the attraction, or is it something eles..
Of course, there will be no right answer to this question, I'm just looking for opinions...

Goliath112

well man here is the skinny on that.

Number One: It is tough to be a SWO and most people will say that it is a rough job.

Number Two: In recent years there was a real low retention rate and the brass was noticing this. They did all kinds of incentives i.e., money, better tours, etc.

Number Three: There was still a low retention rate, so they countered with agressive recruting, and that sorta filled up the job. They put alot of guys in BDCP. So basically they have a temporary backlog of SWO's. However, it will probably open up again after a year or two. They Navy is notorious for doing this. They hurry up and "overfix" a problem then they compensate too much by not hiring. Then they eventually end up at square one, which is not enough SWO's

Its kinda like playing Gran Turismo 3, and going in the turn with waayyy too much speed and instead of bettering your position, you smack the wall. then.... to recover and catch up, you slam the gas which causes you to doughnut. you eventually catch up with your opponent near the turn.....but, you had to go real fast on the straightaway to do that.... and then....well you know what happens.....
man the wait is killing me

ActiveCal

That is a true statement, the Navy always over compensate, however reading the Navy Times it surprises me the Navy would not select more candidates for OCS. It would be cheaper for the Navy to have more OCS candidates. I also understand currently OCS is pumping out more candidates than it is designed for.

I hope SWO will open up at the end of next year.

grouch

For fiscal year 03 the Navy needs 43 SWOs, they have 52 selected applicants. These are the new numbers that have been finalized this week. I got them from my recruiter.

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
Things I thought I'd never see....

People actually WANT to come in as SWOs? Things have changed since I was in OCS.

Grandmaster 235

Goliath112

you came in 96 huh? me too. except I was enlisted. I know what you mean about SWO. When I was in I always heard that they always needed people but, now it seems like you have to be an Eagle Scout and President of the Class to even get considered (not to mention perfect scores on the test). Man I wish I graduated 3 years ago.

man the wait is killing me

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
Unbelievable... Well, the eagle scouts can have it... Better them than me! My OCS class started with 46 people - no SWOs.

Grandmaster 235

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Just to add to the gouge...the other day the XO on our ship was talking to the CO, and was mentioning how not only the retention rate was bad, but that actual selections were something like 60% or so. Long story short, they need people. Why people are saying otherwise is interesting. There's also no way they can support it just from the academy and ROTC, so keep putting in those packages if it's what you want.

Personally, I enjoy sleeping, so it wouldn't be for me, but they definately need good people.

Okay, I'm sure my 'net connection will crap out now, so I'll sign off and try another day.

Goliath112

That's nice to hear GatorDev. I like sleeping too. But I also want to be a SWO. So sorta a conflict there huh. I still remember the words of my CC (di) "I going to make you cherish your rack" lol. Anyway I hear you on the SWO selections and that is what I thought too but, what I don't get is that the recuriters all say otherwise. I got rejected last time for SWO, Supply and AMDO and I am going to apply again in march. Have any steel beach picnics yet? hahahhaaha.......

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
wait, what's so bad about being an SWO?

I mean, are watches that bad, or is it because junior officers get grilled, or what, I would have assumed aviation and submariners would have had a tougher time, but, they way you guys sound, SWO must suck.

That would be sad because its been something I've been looking into since I was like 2 (after aviation, or course), but, yeah...

Gunslinger105

Gunslinger 105
You guys are touched in the head if you really want to be SWOs. I'm a "Been there, Done that, Got the heavy bags under my eyes" former SWO. I got out in 1998, and I can't believe the community would have changed that much in 6 years. It was overwhelmingly back-stabbing and cutthroat. Prior to my SWO tours, I was an airdale, so I know the differences between Friday night at the O Club after flying and Friday night getting dried out Mid-Rats before the Mid-to-4am watch on the bridge. Big difference there. And don't even THINK about mentioning "crew rest" to a SWO...
:)

I guess my last unsolicited thought on this is that, actually I'm grateful to SWOs. Somebody's gotta do it. Kinda like the Marines. I respect them as well, but I'm glad it's not me. My SAT scores were a little higher than that... Either way you look at it, I'm glad to have served, and ours is truly the best military in the world. Keep up the good work!

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
From what I hear, SWO depends mainly on your wardroom. Look, you are going to get your *** chewed from time to time. Well, most of the time. My friends out of ROTC told me that they felt that it was not a day unless they got yelled at so expect that. SWO's eat their young. But if you look on the bright side, it will harden you if you can make it through. SWO's play a valuable role. Without them, I can't go flying so if you want to do it, God bless. You guys are stronger than me. The main difference between SWO and everything else is that unlike aviators and nukes, you go to the boat completely green. Pretty much all of your training is OJT. So, of course you will stumble. If you keep your eyes on the prize and have a good wardroom though, you will be fine. When I left my NRD where I worked for a year, SWO was closed. However, that can get fudged if the need arises so like those above said, keep submitting packages. You never know, you might get lucky.
Hope this helps,
Goplay

bedrock1981

I just got picked up for SWO although it was my second choice. I am still waiting to hear from the NFO board (first choice) and the Supply board (third choice). My recruiter was told by the folks in millington that SWO is really competitive right now and he was really suprised that I was selected.

Status
Not open for further replies.