• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SWO spots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grouch

I have been told a thousand times by recruiters that SWO in closed. I have also heard that If you want it bad enough, you can get it. Does anyone have the straight poop on the subject?

Edited by - grouch on 08/16/2002 21:25:16

grouch

Henneke, man you gotta update your hobbies on your bio section! Running, my fat white marbled butt!! Hey bro, thanks for letting me borrow IronClaw. That was total motivation.

psrogers

Intel Officer
Hey Grouch, I have some data for you, fresh from Lt Cmdr Geers office up here in Seattle. He says that '02 SWO is only 62% full, as of yesterday. I bet you're shocked to hear that, and so was I. Even more astounding, there are OCS dates in OCTOBER AND NOVEMBER for SWO. That's what I am applying for, and my advice to you is: apply, apply, apply!

grouch

psrogers, Thanks for the info. I have a NFO spot in feb 03 but I am worried about about a hearing wavier so I may or may not be able to fly. My second choice was SWO and I would be very happy to get it if NFO did not pan out. I was just trying to see what is out there so I can prepare myself. I am also considering AMDO. Is LCDR Geers your recruiter? Also, how did he obtain that bit of info?

psrogers

Intel Officer
No problem. Yes, he is a recruiter, or rather, he supervises the recruiter(s?) in his office. My recruiter is actually Lt. Mark Donahue, also a really helpful guy. But Todd Geers is an NFO, with many years of experience and useful knowledge. I got to meet the Blue Angels through him. As for how he has the data I gave you, he has a real-time or at least regularly updated online computer program that shows, in a spreadsheet format, the progression of OCS slots being filled as the selection board makes its decisions. I'm sure that a lot of recruiters, especially those with higher rankings, have this, but just don't tell their recruits.
Do you have Navy experience? I really want to fly but my eyes suck so I am going to join as an intel or SWO officer. I am still really trying to get a feel for what it will be like being a SWO. Is there anythging that you might feel compelled to say about it, that has been thus far omitted from other statements on this site? Anybody else?

grouch

Don't know a whole lot about SWO. I just love ships, always have. The thought of being in control of something that large and powerful and knowing the boat backwards and forwards just apeals to me. About that spreadsheet thing, it figures. I knew there had to be something like that but I wasn't cool enough for it to be used on me.
Have you submitted your packet yet? If so good luck.

psrogers

Intel Officer
No, I haven't turned in my package quite yet. SWO appeals to me for the same reasons. Good luck on the NFO though, and SWO is a great fall back, it seems to me. I want to fly but my eyes are bad so it's either intel or SWO it looks like.

Tessone

Why are recruiters everywhere telling people that SWO is closed, then? When I was thinking about going Navy last year, my recruiter (a Chief at NRD Chicago) told me that I qualified for everything but NA, but that I couldn't get a slot for SWO in 2004 as a BDCP applicant. My choices were restricted to nukes, supply, intelligence, and NFO.

skywagon

Don't know if this helps your motivation but after serving for 4 years on a Destroyer I have nothing but the highest respect for the SWO comunity. The work is really hard, but those folk really run the Navy. It's one of the only ways you can still be a real sailor. Just my opinion.

psrogers

Intel Officer
That is good to hear, Skywagon. Can you tell me a little more about the kinds of stuff you see the new ensigns and ljgs doing?

Goliath112

getting screamed at. SWO (Screaming Warfare Officer) I have heard that it was closed too. But, shit like that changes all the time. SWO also has a very low retention rate. In fact my SWO recruiter got out while I was doind my package with him. I called him one day and had to bring in some paperwork. He said..sure bring it in. and when I went there I said is LT....Blahblah here and the secretary said ummm he transferred. I said where... and he said to the HME 1, USS. Backporch. lol

man the wait is killing me

ActiveCal

Skywagon is right, I too was on a Destroyer, sometimes I felt sorry for my DIVO. She was so nice and sweet and my Commanding officer, and Department Head ate her up alive. She left the Navy. I know it will happen to me, however, SWO is not for the faint harted. I leared fast to keep smart on my feet, and leave it at work.

ActiveCal
USN

Goliath112

SWO is a hardcore navy job. I like it. Unfortunately all the ROTC and Academy guys get it. I applied for it, I don't think i'll get it though.

man the wait is killing me

JTP

Goliath, don't think that way! Stay positive. Nothing good in life ever comes easy. Remember that, and stay focused.

GO DAWGS!!

Status
Not open for further replies.