• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SWO or Intel

vincentjus

Can someone tell me about the requirements for SWO? I'm applying for Pilot & NFO as my first 2 choices, but I'm not sure whether to put SWO or Intel as my 3rd. I'm curious about what major they prefer, gpa, and the kind of assignments they get. If selected for SWO I'd be more interested in Coastal Warfare or being on a smaller ship.

phrogpilot73

PSW says "Do the [shoes] a favor and put intel." She's studying for PPL ground school, or she would put it.

What she's getting at is that if you don't want to be a SWO, she'd advise against putting it, because you're gonna end up hating it.

Oh, and the brackets are there because she said "SWO's" and I figure that everyone would appreciate my editing...

BigRed389

None
SWO takes a huge variety of backgrounds. Just be good at what you do before you join, whether it's school or work.

I believe what Phrog/PSW is pointing out is that if you want "Coastal Warfare work" on a little fast boat in Iraq(Riverine Squadrons or SWCC-if they still take SWOs as OICs), you're going to have to suck up a traditional SWO tour for your first 30 or so months.
You could get a "smaller ship," but you're gonna have to define that. A destroyer is technically a smaller ship. So is a minesweeper that tops out at 15 knots.

navy_or_bust

Another thing to think about for SWO is you will be more likely to be picked up than if you put intel. If you want to be a Navy officer and know you will be happy and good at whatever you do then putting SWO would be a good back up to NA and NFO. Also, have you considered Information Warfare officer? Still in the air and working with intel, that is one I am considering putting 3rd. I just don't know how selective it is. Anyway that is my two cents.

vincentjus

Well I'm not positive that Intel is what I want to do. It looks like you can get a much broader range of assignments with SWO than with Intel which is what appeals to me. Also, what kind of major do they look for, gpa, etc?

schwarti

Contributor
I got picked up for SWO with a Liberal Arts BA with concentrations in Asian Studies and History. Some people say go for a tech major, others say do what you like. Either way, just do it well. I had a 2.6 gpa undergrad, but you should probably try to do better than that. :D

vincentjus

I had a 2.93 in History. Above average, but not good enough for honors or anything. I scored a 6/7/6 46 on the ASTB. Fortunately, I have prior active duty time and a ppl.
By smaller ship I meant a Destroyer or Cruiser. A 27 foot patrol craft isn't the most comfortable ride, but you'll have a few chances to go airborne if you hit a wave just right.