• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SWO Divo Tours

BigRisk54

Hi everyone, I wanted to know if it was possible to do both divo tours in Norfolk. After OCS I plan on selecting Norfolk so my fiancé can be close to her family. Thanks!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I plan on selecting Norfolk
For expectations management, I would plan on not selecting Norfolk, then be pleasantly surprised if you do. Planning on being close to home/family/etc with a Navy career is setting yourself up for disappointment.

BigRisk54

For expectations management, I would plan on not selecting Norfolk, then be pleasantly surprised if you do. Planning on being close to home/family/etc with a Navy career is setting yourself up for disappointment.
So what I am seeing is I probably won’t get my second divo tour there

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
So what I am seeing is I probably won’t get my second divo tour there
Read what he said. Carefully.

The Navy is not a job where you plan on being close to family at any given time. If it works out that way...excellent. But, be prepared to live a good deal of your career away from the Mrs’ family.

BigRisk54

Read what he said. Carefully.

The Navy is not a job where you plan on being close to family at any given time. If it works out that way...excellent. But, be prepared to live a good deal of your career away from the Mrs’ family.
I am trying. We talked it over and she said if it works out that way then that’s excellent. I plan on doing my 4 years then switch the reserves. She said she will be willing to stick it out

BigRed389

None
Hi everyone, I wanted to know if it was possible to do both divo tours in Norfolk. After OCS I plan on selecting Norfolk so my fiancé can be close to her family. Thanks!

Norfolk is not a popular DivO destination and there are lots of ships there.

If you are willing to put other preferences in selecting (ship type, 2nd DivO job) at a lower priority, odds are reasonable.

sldm992

Norfolk is not a popular DivO destination and there are lots of ships there.

If you are willing to put other preferences in selecting (ship type, 2nd DivO job) at a lower priority, odds are reasonable.
So norfolk isn't popular but there are a lot of ships there, does that mean if a SWO tries for norfolk as a first DIVO location would the odds be good?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I wouldn't be planning this far ahead in the process. So many factors can impact between now and then. According to your profile, you haven't even gotten a PROREC Y yet.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor

If you're still applying to join the Navy, stay focused on that. There is more that can change between now and when you'll actually go through ship selection than you can possibly comprehend. Keep working out, keep getting everything ready for your application, and then keep focusing on spending time with your friends and family. When you actually join the Navy, you will have little control over where you go or how much time you get to spend with your wife and family.

So norfolk isn't popular but there are a lot of ships there, does that mean if a SWO tries for norfolk as a first DIVO location would the odds be good?

Norfolk is the largest naval base in the world and nearly the entire Atlantic Fleet stationed somewhere in the Hampton Roads area. There are often plenty of jobs there and many who don't want them since it's hard to get away from the Navy in Hampton Roads and the gate traffic at Norfolk is a nightmare. The thing is, trying to plan your naval career around the potentiality that you'll be able to stay in Hampton Roads forever is a fool's errand. There are more factors than just location. You need to consider what the jobs and ships available are. If you're an amphib guy with no AEGIS experience and there's nothing but AEGIS CSO jobs available in Norfolk, you're not about to get those jobs. Also, if you need to hold a certain billet to advance your career, and none of those billets are available in Norfolk, then you're shooting yourself in the foot by trying to get Norfolk orders.

It is also entirely possible that there are no Hampton Roads billets available within your detailing window (crazier things have happened), and you will be forced to choose between Japan or Bahrain (I know some people who've had this option). Take your career one step at a time. I will reiterate, if you aren't even at OCS yet, you have bigger fish to fry than where you're going to get stationed.

sldm992

If you're still applying to join the Navy, stay focused on that. There is more that can change between now and when you'll actually go through ship selection than you can possibly comprehend. Keep working out, keep getting everything ready for your application, and then keep focusing on spending time with your friends and family. When you actually join the Navy, you will have little control over where you go or how much time you get to spend with your wife and family.

Norfolk is the largest naval base in the world and nearly the entire Atlantic Fleet stationed somewhere in the Hampton Roads area. There are often plenty of jobs there and many who don't want them since it's hard to get away from the Navy in Hampton Roads and the gate traffic at Norfolk is a nightmare. The thing is, trying to plan your naval career around the potentiality that you'll be able to stay in Hampton Roads forever is a fool's errand. There are more factors than just location. You need to consider what the jobs and ships available are. If you're an amphib guy with no AEGIS experience and there's nothing but AEGIS CSO jobs available in Norfolk, you're not about to get those jobs. Also, if you need to hold a certain billet to advance your career, and none of those billets are available in Norfolk, then you're shooting yourself in the foot by trying to get Norfolk orders.

It is also entirely possible that there are no Hampton Roads billets available within your detailing window (crazier things have happened), and you will be forced to choose between Japan or Bahrain (I know some people who've had this option). Take your career one step at a time. I will reiterate, if you aren't even at OCS yet, you have bigger fish to fry than where you're going to get stationed.
Thanks. it was just out of curiosity and not so much trying to plan anything.