• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SWO Board 12APR21

exNavyOffRec

Really??? so what are the biggest things they are looking for do you think? also, if I graduated 5 years ago, will they look as strongly at my gpa, or will a strong oar score be better.

GPA and degree, if they need to SWO will look at motivational statement, they usually take only 1 working day to review and make picks, estimate mere minutes per application.

Supply and IWC tend to look more, but even IWC weighs heavy on degree and GPA.

OAR really just gets you to the board, it is an easy way to do cutoffs.

Mrosenberg

Mountainman
my motivational statement is fairly good a feel and shows something that I bring to the table that I think is fairly rare. I lead mountaineering expeditions around the world professionally, have done for 5 years in Argentina, Alaska, Nepal, and Washington state. I ski patrol at a resort on the side. I am hoping they get to actually read this.

Swearaz2

I don’t see how that would at all be a deciding factor...
What does your checklist say? You have to have an interview from an officer in the program you want to join. Also the verbiage in your PS. It is very important you follow the checklist to the T

exNavyOffRec

What does your checklist say? You have to have an interview from an officer in the program you want to join. Also the verbiage in your PS. It is very important you follow the checklist to the T

for AD the checklist is different, and just because it is in the checklist does not mean it is important or carries any weight, personal statements for many designators are often not even read or only read if their are waivers involved.

Swearaz2

for AD the checklist is different, and just because it is in the checklist does not mean it is important or carries any weight, personal statements for many designators are often not even read or only read if their are waivers involved.
Well, good luck to you bud, LCDRs and Commanders have been helping me throughout my OCS checklist, they have told me what the SWO's specifically look for. I just got my Medical record back from Mr Celestin and I can tell you that your statement is very wrong. Just because it may not be required, doesn't mean it won't carry weight. Speaking for active duty..........

Swearaz2

Really??? so what are the biggest things they are looking for do you think? also, if I graduated 5 years ago, will they look as strongly at my gpa, or will a strong oar score be better.
Make your package as strong as possible. It would behoove you to get some officers to recommend you. It carries a lot more weight than a civilian. The higher the better. Retired or not and yes, they absolutely do read your PS.

exNavyOffRec

Well, good luck to you bud, LCDRs and Commanders have been helping me throughout my OCS checklist, they have told me what the SWO's specifically look for. I just got my Medical record back from Mr Celestin and I can tell you that your statement is very wrong. Just because it may not be required, doesn't mean it won't carry weight. Speaking for active duty..........
Having friends still in recruiting at higher levels and even ones who have sat boards I can tell you there is a big disconnect of what officers in the fleet are telling people and what actually happens.

Medical info does not go to the professional board, it cannot.

They take a minute or two for most applications, that is all, in some cases they have done sweeping cuts when applicant numbers were high and spots to give low, such as any legal/moral waivers would be given a "N" by the board, or in one case they cut anyone who had a GPA less than 3.0 to reduce numbers. They have also started giving DNR's for those in certain circumstances.

Things officers in the fleet have told fleet applicants that have come out on this forum or told to NRC or those at the NRD/NTAG "if you are a fleet applicant GPA doesn't apply", "degree restrictions don't matter for fleet applicants", "they review fleet applicants for OCS spots as they arrive", "age requirements don't matter if you are enlisted", "if you are physically qualified to serve enlisted you are physically qualified for officer". I have generalized a few as some fall under a general statement.

Swearaz2

Having friends still in recruiting at higher levels and even ones who have sat boards I can tell you there is a big disconnect of what officers in the fleet are telling people and what actually happens.

Medical info does not go to the professional board, it cannot.

They take a minute or two for most applications, that is all, in some cases they have done sweeping cuts when applicant numbers were high and spots to give low, such as any legal/moral waivers would be given a "N" by the board, or in one case they cut anyone who had a GPA less than 3.0 to reduce numbers. They have also started giving DNR's for those in certain circumstances.

Things officers in the fleet have told fleet applicants that have come out on this forum or told to NRC or those at the NRD/NTAG "if you are a fleet applicant GPA doesn't apply", "degree restrictions don't matter for fleet applicants", "they review fleet applicants for OCS spots as they arrive", "age requirements don't matter if you are enlisted", "if you are physically qualified to serve enlisted you are physically qualified for officer". I have generalized a few as some fall under a general statement.
Got it. If thats the case. Then i say things are looking good then. Maybe you should have him send you his package so you can tell him what may be hurting him

Mrosenberg

Mountainman
Make your package as strong as possible. It would behoove you to get some officers to recommend you. It carries a lot more weight than a civilian. The higher the better. Retired or not and yes, they absolutely do read your PS.
Thank you, that makes me feel more confident. I have an army O-4 and a marine O-2, along with two of my current bosses for my LOR. I feel my PS is strong. I work as a professional mountain guide in the Himalayas, Andes, Alaska range, and in Washington state. I also ski patrol at a resort to fill in the gaps in the winter. I feel I have a lot of real leadership experience in actual life and death situations.

exNavyOffRec

Got it. If thats the case. Then i say things are looking good then. Maybe you should have him send you his package so you can tell him what may be hurting him
I am always willing to review an application for a person, I had one of the highest selection rates for candidates.

In some cases people just get passed on for no good reason, I had one with a high GPA, excellent LOR's, great GPA that was a "N", the NRD the PM's at NRC were all confused, we resubmitted and next time was a "Y"

Unlike many recruiters out there there would try to make people feel good I would do an honest assessment so if the news was not good they wouldn't be crushed.

There have also been people on here with great professional applications that in PM's on what happened it turned out they had waivers that would negatively affect them.

Swearaz2

I am always willing to review an application for a person, I had one of the highest selection rates for candidates.

In some cases people just get passed on for no good reason, I had one with a high GPA, excellent LOR's, great GPA that was a "N", the NRD the PM's at NRC were all confused, we resubmitted and next time was a "Y"

Unlike many recruiters out there there would try to make people feel good I would do an honest assessment so if the news was not good they wouldn't be crushed.

There have also been people on here with great professional applications that in PM's on what happened it turned out they had waivers that would negatively affect them.
Thats perfect. Help him. Seems like he doesnt understand why he didnt get selected

mvperkins

PRO REC Y SWO
First try SWO. Second choice Supply.
OAR: 60
Education: BS Economics
GPA: 2.56
Prior service: FCA2
LOR: O-4 CHENG, O-5 XO, O-6 Supply Corps.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
You're replying to a retired Officer Recruiter.