• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Switching aircraft

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
It’s been awhile so I’d have to look but I don’t think it was that far off. I know max weights for the B were 500 lbs more. The weight difference is really just the avionics to include the added UFCP and HUD.
It's pretty hard to fill up the B to max gross. 80lbs is allowed in the baggage but that cubes out pretty quickly (especially with the plugs and canopy shades in there). IIRC about 230lbs ×2 is the limit for naked crew weight (ejection seat limit), and 1200lbs of gas is possible if you really, really bag it out- like stand there when the fueler tops it off to the tabs and say "nope, more."

So it's not impossible, but only if you selectively schedule a couple of porkers on a CCX to an anvil sales convention and the taxi out is super short. Otherwise, the max gross weight for the B is just a meaningless number in the book and the annual NATOPS test.

Well, at least until future modifications and/or airframe repair make individual bunos heavier. (I'm pretty sure 039 gained some weight resulting from the repairs after a solo took out a runway sign about six years ago.)

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I remember our A at VX-20 was easily maxed out, especially when I was doing tire testing. But, it was an instrumented bird so it had extra goodies in it, too. It’s been a couple years so I’d honestly have to look at it again.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
the aviation community develops well-rounded senior officers and leaders by sticking to strictly-defined, narrow career paths consisting of four or five tours in only one type/model/series aircraft.
Well, plus your shore tours and disassociated tours, which are designed for rounded-ness.

Jim123

pilot
Well, plus your shore tours and disassociated tours, which are designed for rounded-ness.
Sometimes those are t the FRS (shore) and fleet squadron WTI (in lieu of dissociated tour). One of my FRS IPs never left the building from the time he was an FRS student until the end of his DH tour as a senior O-4. It happens...

Jim123

pilot
Boy do I miss the T6. She’s a fun plane to fly. View attachment 21545
Pro tip: The temperature control knob in that photo, with the pointy part of the knob pointed at the word "AUTO," is not what is intended by the checklist literally stating the word, "AUTO." The auto range is that entire arc from 8 o'clock (near the word "COLD," hint, hint) through 4 o'clock ("HOT").

It is exactly like setting the temperature in a car to "warm" where the red and the blue overlap (as in every car built in the free world in the last 75 years).

It is not exactly ideal in the summer.

Some students make it through an entire summer, a few solo flights, and most of the primary syllabus before they figure this one out. I always thought that was funny as hell.

I could usually tell that the knob was set to warm-ish if it was a cool day and my ears kept popping below about 8,000 feet- when the ECS cycles the heat on and off as it's designed to do, the cockpit also gets pressurized just a bit.

:D

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Pro tip: The temperature control knob in that photo, with the pointy part of the knob pointed at the word "AUTO," is not what is intended by the checklist literally stating the word, "AUTO." The auto range is that entire arc from 8 o'clock (near the word "COLD," hint, hint) through 4 o'clock ("HOT").

It is exactly like setting the temperature in a car to "warm" where the red and the blue overlap (as in every car built in the free world in the last 75 years).

It is not exactly ideal in the summer.

Some students make it through an entire summer, a few solo flights, and most of the primary syllabus before they figure this one out. I always thought that was funny as hell.

I could usually tell that the knob was set to warm-ish if it was a cool day and my ears kept popping below about 8,000 feet- when the ECS cycles the heat on and off as it's designed to do, the cockpit also gets pressurized just a bit.

:D

A sizable portion of FAM 0 was spent discussing how that knob gets parked at the 8-9 O'clock position and does not move unless the IP specifically asks for it to be warmer in the plane. I don't warm it up unless I'm going to spend time in the flight levels in the t-6, even in the winter.

Jim123

pilot
A sizable portion of FAM 0 was spent discussing how that knob gets parked at the 8-9 O'clock position and does not move unless the IP specifically asks for it to be warmer in the plane. I don't warm it up unless I'm going to spend time in the flight levels in the t-6, even in the winter.
Me too. I'm pretty sure that got covered on almost everybody's FAM 0 with added reps on off-wing events, etc.

Still, I stand by my statement:
Some students make it through an entire summer, a few solo flights, and most of the primary syllabus before they figure this one out.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Sometimes those are t the FRS (shore) and fleet squadron WTI (in lieu of dissociated tour). One of my FRS IPs never left the building from the time he was an FRS student until the end of his DH tour as a senior O-4. It happens...

Yeah, but that same person probably couldn't operate in a Class C other than Jax without getting yelled at for doing it wrong. It happens...

(smiles and stuff)

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I have a stupid question about naval aviation. Which aircraft are considered TACAIR?

Fixed wing carrier based jet aircraft on the USN side. Historically that meant a bunch of cats and dogs in the airwing, but now it basically means F/A-18 and EA-18 (since those are it)