• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

switch aircraft after a couple of years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabe2surf

I am intersested in being a NA. I prefer fixed wing over helos. If picked for helos, can I go to fixed wing after a couple of years?

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Maybe. I have trained former helo pilots to fly jets but it is all a matter of timing, the right place at the right time and luck. If this answer seems vague that's because it is. We all took the chance on a dream when we enter the military. Most get what they desire and others live and learn to enjoy their platform. Few are disgruntled but they do exist. All in all, regardless of platform, remain professional. Semper Fi! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Gabe2surf

Thanks Frumby,
I don't think I'd be upset either way. Everyone seems to fall in love with whatever aircraft they end up flying.

Kraftwerk

Doesn't the LSO boss have to be current in all shipboard aircraft? Heard about a buddy of mine's uncle who went to Pax and qualed on several aircraft and then did an LSO tour, and has to stay current on 14's, 18's S-3's and not sure about E-2/C-2's, but hey, you get to fly a lot of different aircraft, right? I'd imagine being in the jet community from the gitgo is a requisite? Again, not too sure about this, anybody know more?

Phiman

Ok, this is probably an really stupid question, but I was wonderin are LSO's all NA's or can FO's do it too? Figured there takin as many traps as the pilot is and know when they are low or fast or whatnot they just don't sit in front and correct the problem. Just curious anyhow.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Nope, FO's don't get to be LSO's. I hate to do this but Matt, I have to disagree. A good number of LSO's are cross trained in other platforms. It amounts to about 10 hours but nothing more. This cross training is more important to E-2 pilots learning the particulars behind jet aircraft. (T-2 is a high grade T-34). I had 6 LSO's who worked for me and all of them were cross trained. Each had a varied background, 1 F-14, 2 F18, 3 E-2 pilots. You don't get NATOPS qualled rather just FAM flights. Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Actually Matt, your on target all of the time (strange for a Navy Hornet pilot)that I felt bad contradicting you. No worrys! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Kaman

Beech 1900 pilot's; "Fly it like you stole it"
Hi Guys,
Along these same lines, if the CAG is a Naval Aviator, he is only allowed to day/night CARQUAL in two types, and the others he is only FAM. Generally speaking it will be the F/A-18 and F-14. At least that is what I've seen. CAG goes through a very general syllabus on all the other aircraft in the Air Wing, including the helo.

Regards,

Kaman

Status
Not open for further replies.