• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Swiss low level video

NavyLonghorn

Round intakes and single seat = not a Rhino.

*edit* Alright, just the round intakes make it not a Rhino as corrected in another post.

USFpilot06

pilot
Yea that was pretty sweet! what was the delta wing a/c though? Was that a F2000? I was in Switzerland about 5 years ago and we had an F5 shoot right over the road doing about 500kts. Was pretty awesome sight considering we were in the Alps. not alot of room to manuver out there.

BigRed389

None
Yea that was pretty sweet! what was the delta wing a/c though? Was that a F2000? I was in Switzerland about 5 years ago and we had an F5 shoot right over the road doing about 500kts. Was pretty awesome sight considering we were in the Alps. not alot of room to manuver out there.

The delta a/c's a Mirage III.

If you want to see more of the same, but with a better camera perspective(IMO): http://www.patricksaviation.com/videos/Guest/14/

The video's kinda jacked up, and when I got it a while back you couldn't scroll through it, but it's a really amazing vid, bad music and all. They're pretty much doing the same thiing...going right through the valleys in the Alps, right over the clouds, popping up for a fight, then more valley flying. Definitely worth a look when you've got the time.

BlkPny

pilot
The Swiss AF are great pilots. Their a/c are dispersed in caves cut back into mountains, and behind blast doors. On a scramble, the doors open, a fighter taxis out to a highway that gets closed off, and takes off on the highway. Awesome to see.

Happiest guy I think I ever met was a USN LT on an exchange tour. The Swiss had just bought some F/A-18's, and he was there to fly with them. He was single, loved to ski, and was totally convinced that he had died and gone to heaven. He was probably right.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Swiss AF are great pilots. Their a/c are dispersed in caves cut back into mountains, and behind blast doors. On a scramble, the doors open, a fighter taxis out to a highway that gets closed off, and takes off on the highway. Awesome to see.

Happiest guy I think I ever met was a USN LT on an exchange tour. The Swiss had just bought some F/A-18's, and he was there to fly with them. He was single, loved to ski, and was totally convinced that he had died and gone to heaven. He was probably right.

They had an article in one of the Navy propoganda magazines that mentioned him and one other guy who went over to teach the Swiss how to fly Hornets. Wow, tough duty.....:D Only being and exchange pilot with the Aussies flying Hornets would be tougher.......:eek:

Nice little fact, when the Swiss bought their Hornets (voted on by the Swiss public in a referendum) they got them with Titanium bulkheads to make them last longer. Given some of the problems with our Hornets that might have been a good idea....:confused:

Article: http://www.flug-revue.rotor.com/FRheft/FRH0008/FR0008f.htm

Huggy Bear

pilot
I have lived in Switzerland and I currently fly Hornets, but I'll be damned if I could combine the two. My timing was out of sync for the exchange tour. The last guy to do the tour was a friend from my sister squadron. He had a blast. The best of both worlds, 9 months in monterey for language school and then 2 years flying hornets in switzerland. I did try for the spanish exchange tour but someones else was selected. Probably for the best, my spanish sucks. :icon_smil